ST-10 biamping and power distribution

jmpsmash

ST-10 biamping and power distribution
« on: 14 Oct 2019, 04:46 am »
Hi,

I am a big fan of the ST-10. They throw an incredible soundstage as well as have a uncanny ability to control the woofer producing super tight bass.

Currently I have a pair of ST-10 wired with active crossover and biamped.

I wonder what is the best way to connect the amps. Should I have one ST-10 driving the woofers and one ST-10 driving the mid/tweeter, or should I have one drive each L/R channel woofer/midtweet.

The woofers draw a lot of current and I wonder if there will be enough crosstalk that would affect the distortion on the other channel in the same chassis.

cheers.

Spenav

Re: ST-10 biamping and power distribution
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2019, 01:47 am »
Your best bet is to have each st-10 connected to both speakers. To really do biamping you need to disconnect the passive xover internally otherwise you are not getting all the benefits. If you speakers are three-way, you can leave the mid and tweeter connected to the passive xover. When done right your speakers will sound like five times their price. Good luck.

jmpsmash

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2019, 02:00 am »
I am running active crossover. the output of the ST-10 goes straight into the driver without any crossover components.

Spenav

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2019, 03:00 am »
Are the speakers DYI?

jmpsmash

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2019, 07:58 pm »
yes

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2019, 03:29 pm »
I'm a little late to the discussion, but here's my take:
There is the very real condition of channel crosstalk!

So, if you use one St-10 for both woofers of the two channels, the crasstalk would result in "less than perfect" stereo, but nothing harmful.

If you use one St-10 L channel for the woofer and the R channel for the tweeter of, say, the left channel, the crosstalk between channels will "pollute" the base frequencies with the higher pitched ones, and viceversa.  If you no longer have a passive after that point, this could cause, at best, distortion on your speakers, and at worst a lot of damage.

So, with two amps, do biamping.  For independent left and right amplification, you will require 4 monoblocks, I'm afraid.

That's my educated guess, anyone is free to prove me wrong and I am happy to learn!

Best regards,
Rafa.