Bryston SP2

geaux001

Bryston SP2
« on: 8 Oct 2023, 12:12 am »
I recently made a post about going away from my AVR and getting a proper preamp and bypassing the AVR when I listen to music which is the majority of the time. It was recommended here that I look at an SP2 used primarily for the DAC. I’ve found one I can get for next to nothing and being that I’m not stressing over the latest and greatest surround format. Is the processor still relevant enough to use for the occasional movie?

Mag

Re: Bryston SP2
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2023, 02:51 am »
Oh yeah if you are content with 5.1. Check also to see if it has the latest update, if not send it in. IMO the update sounds significantly better than the previous version.
  And if you haven't read my other posts, I feed my SP2 with the BDA-1 dac using the digital section of the SP2. Again IMO piggybacking the dacs like this elevated the sound output and my jaw hit the floor. I was doing this with my Yamaha AVR, the SP2 however is in higher league.
  Sorry there is no HDMI connection, so you have to go digital in or the old interconnect cable for movies. Like I said I use usb out to BDA-1 and then RCA analog out to SP2 input. :smoke:

geaux001

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2023, 04:45 am »
Good to hear. I’m never building past 5.1 so I think I’m good going this route. Thanks!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2023, 06:27 am »
Hi, geaux!

…try the SP2 especially if you can get it for a low price!! The dac can do „only“ 96/24 but if you don‘t really need all that hires stuff than the SP2 will be an absolutely great performer  :thumb:

al.