Buying music as digital files?

keenween

Buying music as digital files?
« on: 16 Oct 2023, 04:53 pm »
Is there an easy site to buy music in digital form to download files directly to my pc? I used to buy cds and rip them, is this still the best way if I want to put music in my digital collection? I am not in the apple music ecosystem and not interested. I am starting down the streaming route but it was nice to buy albums in the past.

newzooreview

Re: Buying music as digital files?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2023, 05:43 pm »
HDTracks.com

Usually a little pricier than the same album elsewhere.

Qobuz.com store

If you subscribe to Qobuz then you can buy a lossless (and often high-resolution) download of albums in their catalog. They also have a paid "club" that you can join for discounts on purchasing downloads which could be worth it depending on how much music you are buying.

Prestomusic.com

Good for jazz and classical.

NativeDSD.com

They have high-resolution PCM versions for some albums and DSD, obviously.

But the most economical source is buying used CDs off of Amazon and using an error-correcting ripping app like XLD on the Mac or Exact Audio Copy (EAC) on a Windows computer. Be careful of most CD ripping apps: they just use "burst mode" and ignore errors in exchange for speed. Most clean CDs will rip without errors, but having ripped my whole CD collection I've seen plenty of clean looking CDs that had spots that needed extra time and rereading to rip bit perfectly.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2023, 08:54 pm »
Check out Bandcamp first to see if they have the album/artist you are looking for before going to the other high priced music sites. I have found many A-list artists on Bandcamp along with up and coming indie bands. Downloads are CD quality (16 bit/44.1 kHz) flac but mp3 files are also available, just make sure you click the correct button to get the right format. Bandcamp also supports artists by giving them a bigger percentage of the price.
Albums are $10 or less

https://bandcamp.com/

"We’re proud of the fact that when you choose to pay an artist on Bandcamp, your money reaches them quickly, and in a way that is simple to explain and understand. Our business, which was founded in 2008 and has been profitable since 2012, is based on taking a revenue share of sales. Our share is 15% on digital items, and 10% on physical goods. Payment processor fees are separate and vary depending on the size of the transaction, but for an average size purchase, amount to an additional 4-7%. The remainder, usually 80-85%, goes directly to the artist or their label, and we pay out daily."

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2023, 10:46 pm »
If you have a specific artist in mind, they usually have a link to buy downloads on their websites. For me though, I'll buy the cd and rip it if available. I'm not a computer guy, and it seems like every time I download an album I have to relearn the procedure all over.

keenween

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2023, 12:46 am »
Thank you, these are some good options. HDtracks has added a lot since I looked many years ago and bandcamp looks interesting.

I was using EAC but it stopped working some time ago...I am guessing after a windows update but I never could resolve the issue. I might be building a new pc since my old one is turning 12, I might try to keep ripping as an option.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2023, 02:04 am »
HDTracks.com

Usually a little pricier than the same album elsewhere.

Qobuz.com store

If you subscribe to Qobuz then you can buy a lossless (and often high-resolution) download of albums in their catalog. They also have a paid "club" that you can join for discounts on purchasing downloads which could be worth it depending on how much music you are buying.

Prestomusic.com

Good for jazz and classical.

NativeDSD.com

They have high-resolution PCM versions for some albums and DSD, obviously.

But the most economical source is buying used CDs off of Amazon and using an error-correcting ripping app like XLD on the Mac or Exact Audio Copy (EAC) on a Windows computer. Be careful of most CD ripping apps: they just use "burst mode" and ignore errors in exchange for speed. Most clean CDs will rip without errors, but having ripped my whole CD collection I've seen plenty of clean looking CDs that had spots that needed extra time and rereading to rip bit perfectly.

Just a point of clarification; you do not have to subscribe to Qobuz to buy downloads from them.  I did this before I eventually subscribed to their streaming service.  :thumb:

That said, Qobuz does offer a streaming service plan that also offers discounts on ‘HiRez” download purchases.