RM30: Bound For Sound's CES show comments--Issue #155

audiot_savant

This is not a troll designed to incite controversy or to slam VMPS, I'm just wondering if Brian (or anyone) has the explanation.  

Martin DeWulf describes the sound of the RM30's at CES as "...too 'hot'.  At least too hot for my tastes..."

Was this a break-in issue, or a trim pot adjustment issue as Marty allows it may have been?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm30
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2004, 04:15 am »
I haven't seen the issue yet but the sound indeed was a little "hot" Thursday and Friday as I adjusted the midrange lowpass filter.  It was just dandy Saturday and Sunday.

bboplive

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2004, 12:48 pm »
Does "hot" equate to "warm" or perhaps "bright" sounding?  I don't speak audiophilia language (yet).  Could someone expalin what "hot" sounds like?  Thanks.

Andrikos

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2004, 04:34 pm »
It sounds like your ears are on fire! :D

bboplive

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2004, 05:59 pm »
Oh I see.  I call that 'ear burn'. Its like listening to some Gato Barbieri sax (shrieks, white-hot phosphorous) for too long. In short doses only it can be great, long-term it can be fatiguing.  Thanks.

LAL

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2004, 08:45 pm »
Actually, DeWulf goes on to say the RM30 is potentially better than his current RM40's after praising them(RM40's) for being the standard for under $10,000.00 speakers and being hard to better at any price.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2004, 10:34 pm »
I listened to these on Friday and Saturday of CES and wrote a mini-review here. I used Miles Davis as one of my selections and Sat. was better.I really think that these are underrated and once some get out into the fleld will prove out to be a huge winner!!

I even asked Brian if he moved the speakers or tweaked them so what.

Ces is a hard place to "really" listen to speakers. I just wish the RM-30's would have that African Ebony look. But Cherry is nice.

Larry

pjchappy

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2004, 10:57 pm »
I've never been a fan of wood finishes on speakers.  That's why I like the piano black the best.  And I would like other automotive finishes.  HOWEVER, once I saw a picture of the 626s in African Ebony, that changed everything. THOSE are VERY nice  :o

p

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2004, 12:55 am »
I just wish the RM-30's would have that African Ebony look. But Cherry is nice.

HOWEVER, once I saw a picture of the 626s in African Ebony, that changed everything. THOSE are VERY nice

I knew the African Ebony would be a big hit.

We still have a pair of 626Rs that are (as far as I know) unspoken for, and 2 LRCs, that should show in the first order.

Gentlemen, start your checkbooks :lol:  :lol:

Since RM30s are still made in Apple Valley, it may be some time before we see them in that finish, but heavenly they would be!  :D

That said, Brian has said that the Cherry cabinets are some of the best.  We also have 5 "special order" Rosewood RM30s for a client, that promise to be incredible too. :o  :o