Sub Education

Brax

Sub Education
« on: 24 Jul 2008, 02:20 pm »
I have many questions concerning the New Larger Sub and thought the board could enlighten me on these points.

1.   Does the sub have a low pass filter?
2.   If the input is filtered, are the 12” and 15” drivers crossed over differently?
3.   What is the reason a 12” driver was used with the 15” driver rather than using two 15” drivers? I am assuming two 15” drivers would require a larger enclosure, but the thought of a dual Ultra Mega-Woofer sub would be mind blowing.
4.   Speaking of the Ultra Woofer, when upgrading to this driver on the Larger you omit the 12” driver. Why couldn’t you use both the 12” and 15” Ultra Mega-Woofers to create a Super Sub?
5.   All the VMPS speakers with a down firing PR have a base plate, but the subs do not. Would adding a base plate improve the output of the PR, particularly when standing on carpet?
6.   In comparison, what would the difference be between running one VSS with the Ultra Mega-Woofer versus two Larger’s with Mega-Woofers installed? (The extra floor space 2 vs. 1 would take is not an issue).
7.   As for placement of a sub, I have always heard placing it in a corner of the room re-enforces the bass. Is this also true with a forward firing sealed sub such as the Larger? (I run a Sono sub corner loaded now)

Note: The sub(s) would be used for 90% HT and 10% music. The room would roughly be  20’ x 32’ x 9’ setup in a dedicated Home Theater.

Early B.

Re: Sub Education
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2008, 06:18 pm »
You have lots of good questions. I'll respond to #5. I added my own base plate to my VMPS sub and didn't notice any difference at all on a carpeted floor. I did it primarily to protect the passive radiator when moving the sub. 

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Re: Sub Education
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2008, 06:23 pm »
There is a lowpass filter in the sub plate amp (500W or 1000W) available with the Larger.
Filter is 24dB/oct selectable from 20hz to 180Hz.

You can certainly substitute the VSS drivers for both those in the Larger, price is $1175ea w/o amp. The vSS cabinet is twice as thick as the Larger and weight is considerably higher (about 175 lbs).

Corner placement is not recommended, but positioning is quite flexible: back or wide wall, or out into the room.

There is a 12" driver instead of another 15" to provide a smoother and high xover frequency to the main speakers.  Crossover is the same to both.