Peaceful easy feeling

BikeWNC

Peaceful easy feeling
« on: 1 Mar 2003, 04:29 am »
Well I finally got around to setting up my ancient Marantz 6300 TT with a new Grado Gold cart. this evening.  I plugged it into the phono section of my Symphonic Line Pre and sat down to listen to the Eagles Greatest Hits, 1976 Electra.  Within 5 minutes I was questioning the sanity of ever spending another dollar on my digital front end.  Peaceful easy feeling is the perfect way to describe the sound emanating from my speakers.  I'm simply amazed at how this old TT with a brand new (lower end) cart can just blow away my Modwright Level 2 Bybee'd Pioneer transport and Bel Canto Dac2.  No contest!  Oh God, give me the strength to not upgrade my analog end!   :lol:

Ravi

Peaceful easy feeling
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2003, 06:27 am »
Tsunami, its amazing isn't it.

Just today, I spent almost 2 hours listening to CASSETTE TAPES!!!  I hooked up an old Kenwood tape deck to my Stratos/Tube pre, and the 1801s sang so beautifully, I could hardly beleive it!  Vocals were to die for, bass was natural, and the music had soul! For comparison, I have an unmodded ART DIO doing the digital end of things.

Whenever I listen to digital (CD), my ear instantly focuses on digital grain, clipping, and just plain non-musicallity of the sound.  I can barely stand more than a song.  It seems thin, and etched.  I know mapleshade discs sound great, but I hate jazz.  Can't stand it.

On the tapes today, I couldn't get enough.  I'm definately going the TT route! If tapes can sound so good, lp's must be even better!

nature boy

Peaceful easy feeling
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2003, 01:50 pm »
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Vinyl. :D

NB

BikeWNC

Peaceful easy feeling
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2003, 01:57 pm »
The cool thing is that when I get together with my college buddies for the basketball game this weekend I'll pick up the first installment of the several hundred LPs I've been promised.  I have no idea what condition they are in, but it will be fun finding out.   :D