HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server

HAL

Re: HAL's Amazingly Incredible Nearly Prototype Music Server
« Reply #140 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:54 am »
HAL - believe these are Woodsyi's speakers - http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_1/vmps-ribbon-monitor-40-speakers-2-2005.html

Phil,
Thanks, updated the post with woodsyi's VMPS RM40's.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #141 on: 2 Oct 2012, 03:54 pm »
Here is a picture of Forest Dweller's audio setup with the MS-1 installed. 

He did the WASAPI Event Driven update and is enjoying the improved sound quality.

Great looking rig, Chris.  The diffusers came out great!  I hope to be able to hear the system when we head up that way to visit the kids in Portland.

Awesome, my friend.

Dave

Forest Dweller

« Reply #142 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:43 pm »
Hey Dave, they do look pretty darn cool, don’t they?   8)

Thing is: they work even better than they look. “Awesome” is the word.

I’m already working on a post for your circle; where pics will be included. What’s interesting is listening to digital from the MS-1 and analog from the Studer A-810. Both sources have been enhanced greatly, in similar and different ways, with the few AQD1’s I have so far. Now that Butch and I have the process down; we’ll be ready to knock out more… I’ve got some ideas for the “leftover remnants” as well.

I ran the HAL MS-1 System til the batteries died (many hours) and then went to analog master tape.

Would love to have you and Gayle up to my little piece of Heaven on Earth. We will work that out!

See you and the Gang next week!

Safe travel, Brother D,

Chris

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #143 on: 2 Oct 2012, 11:46 pm »
Hey Dave, they do look pretty darn cool, don’t they?   8)

Thing is: they work even better than they look. “Awesome” is the word.

I’m already working on a post for your circle; where pics will be included. What’s interesting is listening to digital from the MS-1 and analog from the Studer A-810. Both sources have been enhanced greatly, in similar and different ways, with the few AQD1’s I have so far. Now that Butch and I have the process down; we’ll be ready to knock out more… I’ve got some ideas for the “leftover remnants” as well.

I ran the HAL MS-1 System til the batteries died (many hours) and then went to analog master tape.

Would love to have you and Gayle up to my little piece of Heaven on Earth. We will work that out!

See you and the Gang next week!

Safe travel, Brother D,

Chris
Gonna be a good time.  Gayle can't come this year.  She will be the only one in HR at the credit union those days, so......  She sends her best.   :thumb:

Dave

HAL

« Reply #144 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:04 pm »
For the MS-1 users that are interested in Sony DSD file playback, the installation of Foobar2000 on the machine includes the component to playback *.DFF files.  These files are available at websites like 2L and Blue Coast Records for trials.  Foobar2000 downsamples the 2.882MHz master DSD files to 24bit PCM files.  The output rate is selectable by the user in the Input->DSDIFF tab.  Staying with the 44.1KHz family of sample rates (44.1KHz, 88.2KHz and 176.4KHz rates) makes them straight downsamples.  If your DAC does not support those rates, try the 48KHz family instead (48KHz, 96KHz and 192KHz rates). 

Foobar2000 only supports the two channel DSD files, not the multichannel. Other players like HQPlayer do support the multichannel format, but have to work with a compatible DAC or HDMI interface to HT receiver or processor. Usually the two channel format is available.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #145 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:27 pm »
HAL

Will one of these units be at RMAF?  If so, where?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #146 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:38 pm »
For the MS-1 users that are interested in Sony DSD file playback, the installation of Foobar2000 on the machine includes the component to playback *.DFF files.  These files are available at websites like 2L and Blue Coast Records for trials.  Foobar2000 downsamples the 2.882MHz master DSD files to 24bit PCM files.  The output rate is selectable by the user in the Input->DSDIFF tab.  Staying with the 44.1KHz family of sample rates (44.1KHz, 88.2KHz and 176.4KHz rates) makes them straight downsamples.   If your DAC does not support those rates, try the 48KHz family instead (48KHz, 96KHz and 192KHz rates). 

Foobar2000 only supports the two channel DSD files, not the multichannel. Other players like HQPlayer do support the multichannel format, but have to work with a compatible DAC or HDMI interface to HT receiver or processor. Usually the two channel format is available.
Go native my friends... go native.  :eyebrows:

Dave

HAL

« Reply #147 on: 4 Oct 2012, 03:46 pm »
Jason,
I brought a MS-1 last year at RMAF for demos.  Was not planning on it this year, unless someone was interested. 

Dave,
Working on native DSD playback as we speak.  Will see what happens!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #148 on: 4 Oct 2012, 04:10 pm »
Jason,
I brought a MS-1 last year at RMAF for demos.  Was not planning on it this year, unless someone was interested. 

Dave,

Seems silly to not bring it then. 

Phil A

« Reply #149 on: 4 Oct 2012, 04:15 pm »

That's excellent.  Going to be a killer product.

HAL

« Reply #150 on: 4 Oct 2012, 04:17 pm »
Jason,
I can demo the capability with my PC netbook.  It is setup as an MS-1, but a lot more portable.

Will see if it all works and bring it for after hours trials.

stu

« Reply #151 on: 5 Oct 2012, 03:29 am »
Hi Chris,
Wow, you are still alive!  Seems like forever since we have talked. I have been meaning to give you a call, but have not had a chance.  Good to see you are enjoying your LS-9's.  Your 9's and your room look great!  I still get amazed sometimes at the sound that I get from mine.  And I am enjoying the MS-1 too.  I did the WASAPI Event upgrade a few weeks ago, and thought it made a nice bump up in performance.

I am jealous of you guys going to RMAF.  Seems it happens every year when I have to work.  One of these years I am going to call in sick, and go to RMAF instead. ( I did not really say that, did I? ).  Tell Rich and Danny I said hello, and hope you all have a great time out there. 

Take care,
Mark

uote author=Forest Dweller link=topic=98467.msg1138129#msg1138129 date=1349140203]
Hey Hugh my Friend,

Busier with some stuff I’d rather not be!   :)

We’re dead-smack in the middle of yet another acquisition (5 more locations this year- so far). Getting everything in motion as much as possible, so I can get on the plane and forget about it all when I’m wheels-down in DEN.

Still keeping-up on the Emergency Communications Support role for the County Sheriff’s Search and Rescue Team which continues to be very rewarding.

I’m looking so forward to hanging-out and catching-up with my brother and sister audioholics!  And yeah- can’t believe it’s been a year. Sheesh!

The drop-dead gorgeous LS-9’s are sounding even more phenomenal as the room is better acoustically treated. As Rich mentioned and I will reiterate, my sincerest thanks to you for turning a nightmare into an aural (and visual) pleasure which has exceeded my listening experiences with LS-9’s I’ve heard previously elsewhere. These are just perfect. Also my thanks to Sean Ries; the Skiing Ninja himself, for the Ninja Master X-Overs and loading the -9’s up. WOW. 

See ya in a few days; and we can talk about what you’ve been up to.

In keeping with this thread though, if HAL has the ability to build-out 3 more MS-1’s… If anyone out there is even halfway considering one; seriously, GO FOR IT. You will not be disappointed. The updated dead-quiet fan and the beautiful custom wood top just add the final touch to a great performer in a small and elegant package. Perfect if WAF is an issue  8)  With USB and eSATA ports, you can do a LOT with the MS-1. Rich can guide you in the direction of interfaces and DACs if you’re not already set for that. If you have a DAC with an I2S bus, you’ll be even more thrilled.

That’s really been the joy of beta testing the MS-1: trying different tweaks, after hours of listening, so I could really get as close to an a/b test as possible. Going from S/PDIF to I2S, using the WASAPI drivers, using a battery powered interface and DAC, and now the WASAPI Event Driven update ALL make a difference. It just keeps getting better.

…which also means I’m getting far less stuff done around the house since I’m glued to the sweet-spot with the added luxury of a wireless remote application for Foobar which works on my laptop and Samsung Galaxy SIII   :thumb:
Chris
[/quote]

HAL

« Reply #152 on: 6 Oct 2012, 06:32 pm »
Here is the Dagogo.com review of the MS-1 Music Server.

Thanks goes to Dr. Laurence Borden and Constantine Soo for all the time and effort to do the wonderful write-up.

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=1100

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #153 on: 6 Oct 2012, 09:54 pm »
Here is the Dagogo.com review of the MS-1 Music Server.

Thanks goes to Dr. Laurence Borden and Constantine Soo for all the time and effort to do the wonderful write-up.

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=1100
Very cool, Rich.  Good for you.  See you next week.

Dave

HAL

« Reply #154 on: 6 Oct 2012, 09:56 pm »
Dave,
Thanks!

See you next week in Denver!

Rich

HAL

« Reply #155 on: 8 Oct 2012, 09:19 pm »
Finishing a build of an MS-1 to take to RMAF.  Will bring a 1TB eSATA drive and USB wireless keyboard.   Maybe someone will let me use a display to demo it after hours. 

Bringing lots of music anyway to listen in other rooms! 

See everyone there on Friday!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #156 on: 8 Oct 2012, 09:59 pm »
You can use ours. :-)

HAL

« Reply #157 on: 8 Oct 2012, 10:11 pm »
Hugh,
Ok will bring the MS-1 around for listening trials in your room when you have time.  I am there starting Wednesday through Monday.  Plenty of time for some listening fun! :)

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #158 on: 8 Oct 2012, 10:17 pm »
We should arrive late Wednesday night and start moving in Thursday morning early.

Want to hook up Wednesday evening sometime?
Hugh,
Ok will bring the MS-1 around for listening trials in your room when you have time.  I am there starting Wednesday through Monday.  Plenty of time for some listening fun! :)

HAL

« Reply #159 on: 8 Oct 2012, 10:21 pm »
Hugh,
Sounds good!  Should be back from visiting with my niece and her family that afternoon.  Will find you and bring the MS-1 by for setup listening trials.

Best,
Rich