Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136

newzooreview

Re: Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 136
« Reply #340 on: 27 Jan 2024, 09:08 pm »
Do the Puritain Ultimate cables make the presentation brighter or thinner?

Not at all.

rsbrsvp

« Reply #341 on: 27 Jan 2024, 09:20 pm »

rsbrsvp

« Reply #342 on: 27 Jan 2024, 10:02 pm »
Has anyone ever heard the Kinki Studio earth Power chord.  It is $369 and the reports are superb....

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #343 on: 27 Jan 2024, 11:20 pm »
I am not a vendor.  :nono:
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2024, 01:12 am by marvda1 »

genjamon

« Reply #344 on: 27 Jan 2024, 11:30 pm »
There are SO MANY power cables in this hobby. Respectfully, I don’t think this is the thread to get into general discussions of power cables. Maybe find a circle that focuses on cables and ask there - I believe it’s called the Path of Least Resistance.

newzooreview

« Reply #345 on: 27 Jan 2024, 11:47 pm »
These speaker and power cables have been getting a bit of a buzz.
https://audiophilejunkie.com/blue-jeans-cable/

This appears to be a vendor posting, a product ad from Audiophile Junkie or their affiliates. Audiophile Junkie not coincidentally posted a video on their YouTube Channel in the last 24 hours promoting Blue Jeans Cable power cables.

I hope the moderator of this forum follows up on this.

This thread is about user experiences with the Puritan Audio 136 and related Puritan products. If a user is comparing the topic of the thread with another product then that is relevant. Someone without anything to say about the thread's focus is off topic.

marvda1

« Reply #346 on: 28 Jan 2024, 01:09 am »
This is not a vendor ad, there was a person above asking about Kinki Studio power cables.  I simply showed some cables at a lower price.
The only cable I am a vendor for is the Cullen Avius power cable I have for sale here :lol:

rsbrsvp

« Reply #347 on: 28 Jan 2024, 05:06 am »
Sorry I creted the confusion.   My question was misplaced.   I am NO vendor.  Just asking because I am considering Puritain Ultimate and other cables and Puritain is part of this thread...

trondi

« Reply #348 on: 8 Feb 2024, 09:45 pm »
Okay, I bought a PSM 136 recently and plugged in nad amp, samsung tv, oppo disc player, linn record deck, sonos streamer and a MF amp.

I have to say that transfer took me quite some minutes to do, then some more added time to get everything switched on and ready to play.

When i started listening to the same tracks/ tv programs and discs again I couldn’t remember what the original sound was like.  So am feeling a bit glum that I am not hearing quickly and easily what others can ito improvements. I never did get domestic clicking/noises really but am still hoping things will improve with the Puritan in place.

So my questions are
1. Which of my devices are going to benefit most from being plugged in to the Puritan?
2. Do the devices that benefit most, benefit even more with all the others plugged in at the same time?
3. What is the easiest thing to spot for most people with a Puritan.

cheers

T

AndrewA

« Reply #349 on: 9 Feb 2024, 11:13 pm »
The cleaner the electricity coming into your home, the less effect any power conditioner is going to have.

The best way to listen for differences is by taking away, not adding.  In other words, leave your system "as is" for several days, let the unit get settled, get used to the presentation, and then one day listen to a track, plug everything straight into the wall, and listen to the same track again.

newzooreview

« Reply #350 on: 10 Feb 2024, 12:18 am »
The cleaner the electricity coming into your home, the less effect any power conditioner is going to have.

The appliances in the household add significantly to the noise on the common ground. Even with perfectly clean A/C coming into the dwelling, which does not exist, there will be plenty to contend with.

The best way to listen for differences is by taking away, not adding.  In other words, leave your system "as is" for several days, let the unit get settled, get used to the presentation, and then one day listen to a track, plug everything straight into the wall, and listen to the same track again.

This is pseudo-scientific gobbledygook. If there's noise in the A/C, the power filter should take it away, not add it. So you should hear a difference, by your logic. If the power conditioner is in the system and you take it away then you should hear a difference. It's just a word game, not any kind of insight.  :roll:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #351 on: 10 Feb 2024, 02:04 pm »
Should say, the better your audio equipment is designed,  the less effect any power conditioner is going to have.

dirtrat

« Reply #352 on: 10 Feb 2024, 11:42 pm »
Recently purchased a Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM 156. I also purchased a Trifield Model EM100 Noise line analyzer at the same time. I was curious to see what my current noise level was at on my mains and how much of a difference the PSM-156 would make. According to the documentation on the analyzer it only reads down to about 10Khz, but it was showing I had a minimum of over 100 mv peak to peak of noise. According to the documentation 50 or below is considered good. Depending on the time of day this would change and sometimes it would be 200 or more. After plugging in the analyzer, the Puritan was measuring approximately 25-30. This definitely made a big reduction and I imagine below 10Khz it was also somewhat noisy. Did this make an audible difference on my system? I'm not sure yet since I just got it. Time will tell. The way I look at I will still get excellent surge suppression and know I will also have some level of noise rejection either way. The only thing I was disappointed about is I didn't realize the power cord connection on the puritan was different than my other power cables. I was hoping to try out some different cables.

marvda1

« Reply #353 on: 11 Feb 2024, 01:02 am »
This is what I might do to solve that problem.
https://voodoocable.net/product/15-amp-to-20-amp-iec-adapter/
I think they have a higher end model in the $200 range.

AndrewA

« Reply #354 on: 12 Feb 2024, 10:41 pm »
It's not a question of electronics (or, for that matter, word games), but rather one of human perception.  There is difference between hearing something fairly subtle that has been added, and hearing that the same something has been taken away.  At all events, there's one simple solution (so long as you're not a complete skeptic): try it for yourself and see.

rsbrsvp

« Reply #355 on: 22 Feb 2024, 06:06 am »
For those who are technically minded I ask:  Does the PSM156 increase output impedence?

To be more specific- is the output impedence from the outputs of the PSM156 higher than from the wall?

rsbrsvp

« Reply #356 on: 23 Feb 2024, 10:47 am »
Also- does the PS156 filter ground noise?

walkern

« Reply #357 on: 23 Feb 2024, 02:18 pm »

genjamon

« Reply #358 on: 23 Feb 2024, 02:41 pm »
For those who are technically minded I ask:  Does the PSM156 increase output impedence?

To be more specific- is the output impedence from the outputs of the PSM156 higher than from the wall?

This is the second time you’re asking this. You got one response last time, but no other takers. I think either people don’t know the answer to the question or don’t understand the question. For myself, I’m pretty puzzled by it. Like Newzooreview who replied to you before, I typically see output impedance discussed with reference to signal outputs of audio devices, either at line level or from speaker outputs of amps. Either way, the issues higher output impedance can cause are to create a frequency-dependent filtering effect, which leads to frequency imbalance (low frequency roll off) and phase issues at lower frequencies.

But I suppose technically all electrical devices have an output impedance, and I’m not familiar with what issues that could cause for mains power delivery. I mean, I guess higher output impedance could be associated with limiting current delivery, but that just a gut reaction based on Ohm’s Law, and I’m not sure if it’s applicable in the AC realm as opposed to DC.  I.e. I only know enough electrical theory to be dangerous and am not the expert you seek.

Can you provide any more information or references for what is motivating your question?
« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2024, 04:06 pm by genjamon »

marvda1

« Reply #359 on: 23 Feb 2024, 04:02 pm »
I think the easiest answer to his question is ask Puritan.  I don't understand why some poeple refuse to go to the horse's mouth, don't be scared. :D