In Defense of Our Hobby

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
In Defense of Our Hobby
« on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:19 pm »
Hi Folks,

I had a Canada Day get together over the past weekend and a number of people asked me about the various sound systems I have set up around the house. Of course the inevitable question comes up – ‘how much does that cost?”  When you say those speakers are $12,000 a pair they typically snicker - look at you cross-eyed - and head for the exits! :lol:

So I thought it might be interesting to get some input on how some of you as audiophiles try to support or explain why you spend the cost of a small car or a heart bypass on your audio gear.

I typically ask the question back and use an analogy – “OK what is your hobby?”  Usually it will be photograph, golf, fishing, cars, motorbikes, art, guns/rifles etc. Then I say something like “ what is the most expensive gun you own, or what is the most expensive camera lens you own”?  “Tell me why your camera cost thousands and I can buy a point and shot camera for $12.00?” Or how come your favorite shotgun is $5,000.00 when I can buy a shotgun at Wal-Mart for $59.95?” Or the fishing rod costs - WHAT! - I can buy a pole and some string real cheap. :D

James
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2010, 04:45 pm by James Tanner »

1oldguy

Re: In Defense of Our Hobby
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:27 pm »
Hi James

I share your pain.LOl :green:
I find that generally, most people can't step far enough back from the painting.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:34 pm »
I agree audio equipment and audiophiles take a bigger hit than most hobbies.  Yes, I know people who would spend a few thousand on a shotgun they use a few times a year, megabucks on video equipment like camcorders they also use a few times a year (I have not even used the last one I bought which shoots 720p with a big zoom for $140 that I got at Woot as I figured for what I use it for it is good for several years), expensive china which gets used twice a year and does not make the food taste any better, etc.  Just look at the one commercial (I think for Geico insurance - not sure?) where they have the Jolida amp and the guy is saying it reproduces frequencies only dogs can hear.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:37 pm »
The commercial is not for insurance - it is an Acura commercial now that I think about it

1oldguy

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:43 pm »
lets see the total for hunting.

5k for a trike
4k gun
scope 2k
clothes 1k

That's 12k all for but once or twice a year.At least with audio gear it can be used on a daily basis.
Then their are folks who pay millions for a painting and so forth.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:48 pm »
I think these are the outtakes from the commercial with the guy with the tube amp:

http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/acura_excuses_tube_amp

Napalm

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:48 pm »
The shock comes mostly from the speakers, not the electronics (unless of course you have some $50,000 tube amps).

People tend to figure out that they are nothing but a thick cardboard (err MDF) box inside which reside a series of drivers @ $100 max each.

Nap.  :eyebrows:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:55 pm »
I think also most people assume that it all sounds the same anyway :duh: or my ears are not good enough to hear a difference :D

james

VOLKS

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2010, 03:56 pm »
While I certainly agree that there's some absurdly priced stuff out there, keep things in context.  What average person wouldn't think any of the following are things only an idiot would buy -

A $2800 CD player - 'I can get a DVD player at Walmart for $50 that'll play CDs and DVDs'  Why get a CD player when you can get an iPod?
A 100x2 Watt amp for $2650 -Average Joe= 'My JVC and or Sony receiver is 150x7 and it only cost $300'
A $2K pre-amp (remote costs extra and only has 4 buttons)  - Average Joe='What's a pre-amp?'
A $2550 phono stage (without power supply)- Average Joe='Who the hell listens to records anymore?  They sound like crap'
A $1500 turntable (not including the cartridge, isolation stuff, cleaning stuff, etc.) - See phono stage comments
A pair of $3200 speakers - Average Joe='My Samsung HTIB system has 7 speakers, a subwoofer, a 150x7 receiver, and a DVD player for $499'
$200/meter interconnects x however many - Average Joe='Its a wire.........are you nuts?'
$5/ foot speakers cables x however many feet - 'Its a wire-Are you nuts?' 

The following are some of my favorites too -   

'No iPod dock?'
'Bose is the best'
'For $5k it should be so loud it knocks the house down.'
'For $5k it should *&%$ my @#$%.' or any other sexual or house cleaning actions.
'My car's system has way better bass.'

My  system (listed in my signature) is way too overpriced for most people out there.  Most people look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them I have a $3000 CD player.  Not that I tell too many people.  One of them is a high ranking engineer for Otis elevators who makes about $500k per year.  I make 1/10 of that.  Funny thing is, he's got the top of the line Bose surround system (if there's such a thing) in his basement that cost about what my entire system cost.

In some ways I envy people who have no idea that reproduced music could sound so good.

I found this in another thread,but it smacks of truth for the "Average Joe"

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2010, 04:03 pm »
I don't try to explain it.  I just point to the little piece of wood hanging off the end of my tone arm and tell them that it cost more than your entire system including video and let it go at that.  I find if I use this approach I either get an ensuing line of questioning or a blank stare.  The former provides an opportunity to explain to the extent the inquirer is interested and allows you to avoid launching into a defensive diatribe three minutes into which eyes begin to glaze over.

rodge827

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2010, 04:12 pm »
I never defend my hobbies to anyone  :x!!!
Everybody has something in their lives that costs time and money that someone else thinks is ridiculous :o.
What I have found is if someone negatively responds to my interests, it is usually out of envy or jealousy :green:.
I never get into arguments with the Bose crowd. If someone feels that Bose is the way, thats fine by me  :wink:.
To bad for them they don't know what they are missing :P.

Rodge

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2010, 04:14 pm »
Excellent idea for a thread James  :thumb:

I have had many experiences such as you have mentioned. Some individuals have even become condescending - and yes, many “eye rollers“ also. Depending on the individual I am speaking with, the conversation will be one of enlightenment or I will flatly tell them that I do not have to justify anything to them. I also add, at times, replies utilizing only single syllable words to ease in their comprehension.

Many co-workers chose to transfer money to tobacco companies, LCBO, bars or professional sports teams - if that what makes them happy, so be it.

I much prefer to “transfer” a portion of my disposable income to individuals such as Rob and Ron at Altronics who in turn, re-distribute these funds to companies such as Bryston, JBL and Esoteric. And then, James, among others, gets “paid.”  :thumb:

I always refer to “payday” as “money transfer day”  - just think about it.

Music, quite simply, is my Xanadu. It is a most powerful medium which can momentarily silence the voices.

Be well…     

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2010, 04:36 pm »

I never get into arguments with the Bose crowd. If someone feels that Bose is the way, thats fine by me  :wink:.

Rodge

I owned a pair of Bose 701's. I really thought the flat sound quality was mostly due in part to the show room. Unfortunately, I never "warmed" up to them. My friend was over one night and he always commented on how much he enjoyed my 701's. "You really like these?" I inquired. " "yes," was always his repliy. Would you like them? "Yes" followed by "how much?"

Help me carry them to your car and they are yours - I had never seen him move so fast  :lol:

He still enjoys them to this very day and I am very happy for him  :thumb:

Be well...

Construct

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2010, 04:38 pm »
Some people are into muscle cars or the fast and the furious treatment to an import.
They think nothing of putting $12K  into a motor which:- Inevitably blows up and costs that much to fix- gets them tickets, fines, maybe jail time and court costs.
Hunting was mentioned.  I know people who have spent tens of thousands on guns they never use- they would not have time.
Everyone has a way of spending hobby money.  They delusional think that because money is spent in small increments that it doesn't add up.
It always does.

1oldguy

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2010, 04:42 pm »
You sir make a lot of sense. :thumb:

werd

« Reply #15 on: 5 Jul 2010, 06:00 pm »
While I certainly agree that there's some absurdly priced stuff out there, keep things in context.  What average person wouldn't think any of the following are things only an idiot would buy -

The following are some of my favorites too -   

'No iPod dock?'
'Bose is the best'
'For $5k it should be so loud it knocks the house down.'
'For $5k it should *&%$ my @#$%.' or any other sexual or house cleaning actions.
'My car's system has way better bass.'

M

Advantage of the 14B, You get to tell the noobs that power doesn't mean just volume.  :D, they don't get that

Napalm

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2010, 06:17 pm »
Average Joe='Who the hell listens to records anymore?  They sound like crap'

I agree with Joe.

Nap.  :thumb:

misko

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jul 2010, 06:23 pm »
I am not defending it anymore.
I have found it much more easy not to mention price of my system because nobody ever believed me anyway.And i dont have expensive equipment at all.

mike

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #18 on: 5 Jul 2010, 06:35 pm »
A hobby doesn't need any "defense". If it was a sound financial decision, it wouldn't be a hobby :D

Stu Pitt

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jul 2010, 06:36 pm »
I originally wrote the post that Volks quoted from.  Still remains true today.

My father is the king of the 'you spent how much?' line, and the most guilty of doing it himself.  He was amazed by how much I paid for 'so little.' Bare bones integrated amp (B60), CD only player (Rega Apollo), monitor speakers, and an obsolete turntable.  I won't get into cables, lp cleaning, etc.     

He agrees that it sounds great.   "Probably the best stereo I've heard, but it's still just a stereo."

'Dad, how much was that 25' Sea Ray boat with sleeping quarters, bathroom and sink that you used a dozen times the first 2 years and hasn't been in the water in 5 years?"

"$25k.  I got a great deal at the dealer's auction."

"Such a great deal and so much fun that you're on the water every weekend?"
"Such a great deal that you've decided to keep it even though at it does is take up space?"

"What about the 12 mountain bikes in the shed?  I don't see any mountains, let alone enough mountains or people to necessitate 12 of them, Dad."

Case closed.  I didn't get into the 5 guns that he bought to go hunting with - twice.  He didn't have the heart to pull the trigger.  15 years later, a corner of his basement still looks like an assault rifle cache.

In all fairness, he gets a ton of use out of the $2k camera and lens combo.   It's pretty annoying to always have a camera in your face (everyone agrees), but at least he uses that. 

My stupid hobby seems a bit less stupid now.