Speakers to go with Brsyton Front End?

john1970

Speakers to go with Brsyton Front End?
« on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:59 am »
Dear Bryston users,

I have a Bryston front end (4B SST, BP25, MPS2, and BDA-1).  I am looking for a new set of speakers this fall in the $6K to $9K price range.  I would prefer to buy new.  My criteria are:

1) Floorstanding speakers
2) Reasonable bass extension (F3 of mid 40 Hz or lower)
3) No rear ports (speakers need to be place about 1.5 ft from a wall in the current configuration)
4) Speakers need to fit in a small space so they can not be more than 17" in width.  Height less than 54".

Please advise.

Cheers,

John

Napalm

Re: Speakers to go with Brsyton Front End?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2010, 02:54 am »

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2010, 04:16 am »
Yeah, I would say the Paradigms fit the bill.

But with rear ported speakers, Dynaudio and I believe Tannoy include foam cylinders to plug up the bass reflex hole.

nl12048

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:42 pm »
Thiel cs2.4 perhaps or 3.7 2nd hand

vegasdave

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:01 pm »
Good choice.

nl12048

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:09 pm »

vegasdave

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:24 pm »

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2010, 08:35 pm »
I run Thiel 3.7s on a 14BSST, BDA-1 and SP1.7 which is basically like the BP25.  I had the 6BSST (3 channel 4BSST) on the front 3 channels before I got the 14BSST.  Sounds really good.

Vipers

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2010, 09:28 pm »
I can't recommend the PMC EB1i's enough, I absolutely love mine, definately worth a demo.

vegasdave

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2010, 09:37 pm »
I bet. But too expensive for me. How's the bass, though?

V

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2010, 09:40 pm »
I run Thiel 3.7s on a 14BSST, BDA-1 and SP1.7 which is basically like the BP25.  I had the 6BSST (3 channel 4BSST) on the front 3 channels before I got the 14BSST.  Sounds really good.

Can you tell us about the sound-differences between the 6BSST and 14BSST in you system ?

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2010, 09:50 pm »
Can you tell us about the sound-differences between the 6BSST and 14BSST in you system ?

I bought both amps lightly used about 7 years back.  I had the 6BSST for several months before the 14BSST.  At the time my main speakers were Thiel 7.2s.  I now have the 6BSST on the center and rears.  The sound was smooth with the 6BSST.  I drove a couple of hours (to meet up for the amp ) and the guy I bought it from said it was similar in sonic character to very expensive tube monoblocks he had (forgot the model).  When I put the 14BSST in it was a bit smoother and more relaxed and the bass was noticeably better.   I use 2 Rel Storm III subs for the front channels.  When I had a friend come over and listen (and help move it into place) he commented about the highs being better and thought I had the subs on when they were not.  The subs added (crossed over at 22HZ) but were not needed as badly on many things as with the 6BSST.

V

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2010, 09:58 pm »
I bought both amps lightly used about 7 years back.  I had the 6BSST for several months before the 14BSST.  At the time my main speakers were Thiel 7.2s.  I now have the 6BSST on the center and rears.  The sound was smooth with the 6BSST.  I drove a couple of hours (to meet up for the amp ) and the guy I bought it from said it was similar in sonic character to very expensive tube monoblocks he had (forgot the model).  When I put the 14BSST in it was a bit smoother and more relaxed and the bass was noticeably better.   I use 2 Rel Storm III subs for the front channels.  When I had a friend come over and listen (and help move it into place) he commented about the highs being better and thought I had the subs on when they were not.  The subs added (crossed over at 22HZ) but were not needed as badly on many things as with the 6BSST.

Thanks.

mkaiser

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2010, 07:19 am »
A great speaker that mates well with Bryston electronics is Paradigm's Signature 6v3. This speaker is front ported only so and can be placed 1 foot from the front wall. Go on the website and check out the specs and rave reviews about them. If you can afford 3 feet of placement of the front wall then the s8 would be overall better performers especially in the bass region and they go for 8k.
The s6 are 7k for gloss piano black and maple and 6k for cherry. These speakers will rival any other speakers out there at 3x the cost.
Just like Bryston, Paradigm provides maximum performance for the dollar.

The prices i listed above are in Canadian dollars from my local shop you, may get them at a better price.

john1970

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2010, 10:01 am »
Dear Everyone,

I originally was very enticed by the Paradigm s8 speakers.  Unfortunately, I can not move the speakers away from the wall more than 1 foot, but the s6's are a possibility although I would prefer a speaker with more bass output.  I would love to own a pair of Thiel 3.7, but unfortunately at ~$13K lists I doubt if I can get them new at $10.  Maybe a dealer would have a demo pair?  I will have to look at the PMC speakers.

Thank you,

John

mkaiser

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2010, 10:55 am »
Hey John,
Just a suggestion.... If you mate the s6 with jl110 subwoofer from jl Audio you will get the deep registry you are seeking. I have heard this exact combination and the bass is deep, detailed, fast and tight with a small footprint.

-Mark

john1970

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jun 2010, 11:21 am »
Hey John,
Just a suggestion.... If you mate the s6 with jl110 subwoofer from jl Audio you will get the deep registry you are seeking. I have heard this exact combination and the bass is deep, detailed, fast and tight with a small footprint.

-Mark

Mark,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I already own a JL Audio F113 subwoofer so that is very possible combination.

Cheers,

John

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jun 2010, 01:23 pm »
  Maggies, Rockports, Alon, Snell [ older model], Mirage M-1s M3Si [ older models]. Choose the speaker that best suits your musical taste. Have fun.

charles

Napalm

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jun 2010, 01:47 pm »
Don't neglect these either:

http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference/fronts-studio-studio100-model-2-13-1-29.paradigm

If you find them satisfying, you'll be left with a lot of money to spend on other things.....  :thumb:

Nap.

Ryanz

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jun 2010, 05:37 pm »
Don't neglect these either:

http://www.paradigm.com/en/reference/fronts-studio-studio100-model-2-13-1-29.paradigm

If you find them satisfying, you'll be left with a lot of money to spend on other things.....  :thumb:

Nap.

I agree.  :thumb: Don't think that because they're only $3,000 USD that they're subpar, not so. My .02.  :singing: