Elemental Designs eq.2

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Elemental Designs eq.2
« on: 20 Jan 2010, 01:58 am »
Hi fellas,

I hope this belongs in cheap and cheerful only because the unit costs $100. This is a subwoofer equalizer that has 2 separate bands of parametric eq. The first is from 10 Hz to 50 Hz and the other is from 50 Hz to 100 Hz. It has mono or stereo inputs. The output is summed to mono. It also has a variable subsonic filter that can be turned off. And it has a full 180 degree phase control. Bear in mind that there is NO OVERALL GAIN. It will only send the maximum gain from your preamp or it will attenuate if you need that. It doesn't have its own preamplifier section so to speak, it is passive from that standpoint.

For fellas who have just one subwoofer this is a cheap way of managing some of the calamities caused by room modes on the bass response in room. It isn't as sophisticated as a Velodyne SMS-1, or a Behringer DCX2496 nor is it as expensive. If you have 2 subwoofers, you can purchase 2 of these eq.2's or you can just purchase one and send the same mono signal to each sub, however you are then getting very close to the price of a DCX2496. The disadvantage with using one eq.2 is that you have less flexibility especially if the other sub has different peaks/dips in the frequency response below 100 hz.

This unit also assumes that you have room measurement software, microphone and mic preamp so it assumes some level of diy expertise. I recommend Room EQ Wizard which is free. Other more expensive equalizers usually come with their own mic, etc...

Heh, what can you expect for $100? I don't think it's bad at all. An independent review from Audioholics is here.

Best thing to do is to measure your subs, manipulate their positioning for flattest response, and then see if an equalizer like this, (especially if you are on a budget), applies.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2010, 12:12 am by poseidonsvoice »

Mariusz

Re: Elemental Designs eq.2
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jan 2010, 02:55 pm »
That is preaty cool. I am actually looking for something like this for my future project.

Thanks
Mariusz

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:00 pm »
Check out the rest of that site:  edesignaudio.com

They've got some good stuff at good prices!

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:19 pm »
Looks like a nice solution for cheap. 

Bryan