Audio Gear Depreciation

AllanS

Audio Gear Depreciation
« on: 11 Jun 2022, 02:29 pm »
I’m considering a used preamp of known age but have no idea how to gauge if the price is reasonable.  Other than comparable listings how do you determine what is a good price?  Understanding that some brands hold their value better than others are there any depreciation rates that generally apply?  Thank you.

Bemopti123

Re: Audio Gear Depreciation
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2022, 02:39 pm »
There is plenty of "distortion" of prices in the market.  There is no clear formula to determine what a used piece is worth, more than the willingness of the buyer to pay a certain amount.  The definition of "reasonable" is in itself a highly subjective statement.   In reality, the biggest variable should be whether the manufacturer is still in business or if that is not the case, whether is piece is reliable and if not, if it is discreet in its circuitry, so it can be rebuilt in case it fails electrically.  Since no model identifier has been provided, it is next to impossible for anyone to determine what you are considering. 

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2022, 02:46 pm »
these questions must be answered in the specific form, with details provided of the unit(s) in question - otherwise it is just a waste of bandwidth

there are references such as audiogon blue book and transaction history on hifi shark etc etc, there is always a general internet search...

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2022, 02:48 pm »
hifi shark sold listings may be helpful.

https://www.hifishark.com/

AllanS

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2022, 03:19 pm »
Thanks all.  Understood that details matter.  As much as anything I’m trying to understand the used market in general.

mick wolfe

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2022, 03:47 pm »
Thanks all.  Understood that details matter.  As much as anything I’m trying to understand the used market in general.

In your case, if you're eyeing a particular pre-amp, let us know what it is. Prices of used gear will depend on manufacturer, particular model, existing support/reliability, etc. IOW, a lot of variables with the already suggested hifi shark and blue book a good place to start in regard to price. As already mentioned however, tell us the pre-amp you're considering and I'm sure someone here will be able to chime in.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2022, 04:26 pm »
This is a good site:
http://www.kruipen.com/vtl-mb-450-mono-blocks-0.html

You can probably guess what I was thinking about...

Early B.

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2022, 04:30 pm »
The most you can say, in general, is to buy used audio gear based on what it's worth to you. Don't be concerned about resale value. Do your research and use common sense. Beyond that, focus on the potential enjoyment, not the price. 

Example -- there's a particular tube amp I want that's unique in its price range. If it shows up on the used market, I'm gonna buy it, even if the price is close to its retail value. I would never do that for cables or speakers because there are many other options available.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2022, 06:02 pm »
The most you can say, in general, is to buy used audio gear based on what it's worth to you. Don't be concerned about resale value. Do your research and use common sense. Beyond that, focus on the potential enjoyment, not the price. 

Example -- there's a particular tube amp I want that's unique in its price range. If it shows up on the used market, I'm gonna buy it, even if the price is close to its retail value. I would never do that for cables or speakers because there are many other options available.

What tube amp are you on the lookout for? 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2022, 08:51 pm »
This old topic from 2017 very useful especially Elizabeth and Roscoe65 posts:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152780.0

AllanS

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2022, 08:54 pm »
In your case, if you're eyeing a particular pre-amp, let us know what it is.

I just bought a pair of PS Audio M1200 and considering a PS Audio BHK preamp that's 5 years old and offered for $3400 with a couple of spare tube.  There are two others around the same price on US Audiomart but ages aren't given.
Thank you

AllanS

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2022, 09:01 pm »

Many thanks all.  I appreciate it.  This is all very helpful.

RonN5

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2022, 11:18 pm »
When you look at the price of a new unit minus the trade in… then the HiFi shark price history… the $3400 seems “ in the ballpark “ given a market that has been seeing plenty of price escalation on new gear.

AllanS

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2022, 01:22 am »
When you look at the price of a new unit minus the trade in… then the HiFi shark price history… the $3400 seems “ in the ballpark “ given a market that has been seeing plenty of price escalation on new gear.
Thank you for looking.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2022, 10:23 am »
PS Audio is a special case in that none of their products are sold at retail, they're all highly discounted at time of sale.  So you can't go with 50% off retail as a rule of thumb.  Btw I haven't seen that mentioned here, the standard starting place I always thought was 50% of retail, then adjust up or down for condition, age, desirability, etc.   Ebay is a quick reference if you look up completed sales, esoteric items may not have a big history, but most common products do.

AllanS

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2022, 01:27 pm »
PS Audio is a special case in that none of their products are sold at retail, they're all highly discounted at time of sale.  So you can't go with 50% off retail as a rule of thumb.  Btw I haven't seen that mentioned here, the standard starting place I always thought was 50% of retail, then adjust up or down for condition, age, desirability, etc.   Ebay is a quick reference if you look up completed sales, esoteric items may not have a big history, but most common products do.
Thank you for introducing sales discount into the discussion.
PSA discount is definitely complicating the “calculation”.  To your point, the M1200 came to me by way of a Stellar line sale last month.  Knowing this I couldn’t use retail as the starting point were I to consider buying used (With a clear mind I’d think the same for all PSA products.).
That said, is PSA unique in this respect? It hasn’t been my experience but I’d read somewhere that audio gear is commonly sold at discount.

Eliazabeth’s response begins with:
“A general 'rue of thumb' for used audio equipment which is 'just like new' is 50% of list price.
For 'some' equipment which are 'classic' (if you also have the box) is 60% of new list.”

RonN5

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2022, 04:46 pm »
The preowned audio market is somewhat like the real estate market....it ebbs and flows.  If a piece of gear has been on the market for 90 days, the price is probably too high.  If it sells in 72 hours, the price was either right...or slightly low.  But, just like real estate, even a great item won't sell if there isn't a buyer in the market for that item at the time it is listed.  And, like the real estate market and the stock market, if you wait for the best deal, you will probably miss the market.

If I'm buying, its more important to me that I'm getting a product that is in the condition it is represented to be in and that they seller does what they promise to do...and if the price is in the ballpark, I'm fine with that.  If I'm selling, its the opposite.  I want a buyer who isn't going to jerk me around after the sale and who pays a price that is in the ballpark versus lowballing me.

What is the ballpark?  There are lots of examples above of how to determine the ballpark.

jjss49

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2022, 05:34 pm »
Eliazabeth’s response begins with:
“A general 'rule of thumb' for used audio equipment which is 'just like new' is 50% of list price.
For 'some' equipment which are 'classic' (if you also have the box) is 60% of new list.”

let's say that rules of thumb are correct some of the time, but one always needs to consider when why where one's own case is an exception -- examples -- good luck trying to buying a 'just like new' denafrips pontus 2 dac for 50-60% of list, or a pass xa25 amplifier...  :roll:

Don_S

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2022, 05:54 pm »

50% off of gear that is usually sold at full MSRP is way too low unless the gear is ancient or abused. One thing buyers of used equipment should consider is what the equipment would cost them new with sales tax and shipping.

Used equipment buyers conveniently forget the original purchaser may have paid a lot of sales tax. If they are buying local they may also save the shipping the original buyer paid.

Buying used gear has to work for both the buyer and seller. So, I repeat, what would the equipment cost new delivered with sales tax?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2022, 12:00 am »
What is the ballpark?  There are lots of examples above of how to determine the ballpark.
ballpark
adjective [ before noun ]
uk
/ˈbɔːl.pɑːk/ us
/ˈbɑːl.pɑːrk/
A ballpark estimate or figure is a number that is a guess, but one that you believe is near the correct number:
We'll have to go away and cost this carefully, but as a ballpark figure I'd say that it'll be about two million dollars.