Inexpensive HDMI cable

blownrx7

Re: Inexpensive HDMI cable
« Reply #20 on: 9 Mar 2022, 12:46 pm »
I thought the HDMI standard required it to be bidirectional with the exception of active hdmi cables which would clearly indicate which direction. Maybe I should google this...

blownrx7

« Reply #21 on: 9 Mar 2022, 12:55 pm »
from https://thehometheaterdiy.com/directional-hdmi-cables/:
So what are directional HDMI cables? Directional HDMI cables are more advanced than regular HDMI cables. This is because they include built-in equalizers, amplification, and filtering. Directional HDMI cables are designed to help carry signals over longer distances. Directional HDMI, however, relay signals in only one direction.
Most directional HDMI cable manufacturers include an arrow icon directly printed on the cable itself. In fact, listing the full capabilities on the cable itself is considered an industry standard. However, this is optional so make sure you check the specifications before you purchase any HDMI cable.
What Is An Active HDMI Cable?
Active HDMI cables are those that have an “active” digital equalizer built directly into the cable. Often indicated by a bulge in the wire itself, these equalizers help to strengthen the signal flowing through the HDMI cable and enhance capabilities.
Improvements in technology means your HDMI cable is able to handle more than it has previously. RedMere technology is just one example of the enhancements companies have made to the standard HDMI cables we use today. Ultra-slim, RedMere technology enables stronger signals to flow through your HDMI cable, making it possible to reach farther distances. It also allows for less copper wiring to be used, making the cables themselves thinner and lighter. You should note, however, that the RedMere chip that is built into your HDMI cable does pull some power from your signal source. While this is mostly negligible, it is still something you should be made aware of.

djbnh

« Reply #22 on: 9 Mar 2022, 05:02 pm »
Buy the most praised HDMI cable.  Break it in (yeah, I know) then turn it around in circuit to determine directionality... a real thing... then, very carefully use a razor blade or new utility knife blade to remove as much of the jacket and molded ends that you can.  To insure that there will be no ground/shield issues, carefully insulate any points of contact between the nude cable and any other gear.  I use white TechFlex.  Teflon plumbers tape works well, but only use as much as needed to prevent contact with any other gear.  It is best to use none.  Do NOT use black.  That pigment is either an iron derived material or a conductive copper oxide.  Again:  yeah, I know 🙄
Reads like a perfect way to void the manufacturer's warranty. :wtf:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #23 on: 10 Mar 2022, 12:26 am »

You're not wrong, but being that this is the cheap and cheerful circle one is hardly risking much.  I'd guess there's more risk to the equipment the cable is connected to than the cable itself.  I don't think I'll try it, but it's interesting.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: 12 Mar 2022, 07:23 pm »
A manufacturer's warranty on an HDMI cable?  Seriously?  Go ahead, live dangerously :lol:

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 13 Mar 2022, 01:41 am »
You're not wrong, but being that this is the cheap and cheerful circle one is hardly risking much.  I'd guess there's more risk to the equipment the cable is connected to than the cable itself.  I don't think I'll try it, but it's interesting.
As long as the integrity of the wire itself is maintained and the cable is re-insulated with a non-conductive material like TechFlex there are no issues.  TechFlex is good because it is an open (lots of air) weave.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #26 on: 13 Mar 2022, 12:44 pm »
As long as the integrity of the wire itself is maintained and the cable is re-insulated with a non-conductive material like TechFlex there are no issues.  TechFlex is good because it is an open (lots of air) weave.

I agree, I meant it's the only area possibly impacted it you don't get it right for some reason.  As you noted, be careful, some people aren't.