Late 80's early 90's receivers

mflaming

Late 80's early 90's receivers
« on: 9 Jan 2022, 03:53 pm »
Do you have any thoughts on receivers from the 80's and 90's? If so, which ones are more desirable for sound quality?

I thought about posting to the vintage circle, but this isn't really vintage. The silver face 70's receivers have become unaffordable for me, so I recently picked up a couple of receivers for my daughter's bedrooms from Goodwill for less than $15 ea. They have phono inputs - add a streamer and they work great.

I have a feeling these are going to go way up in price in the future. The ones I got are Pioneer SX 1600 and Sony STR AV320.

rotarius

Re: Late 80's early 90's receivers
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2022, 07:27 pm »
The Yamaha DSP-A1 is a beast and well regarded for sound quality.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2022, 08:28 pm »
I had an Sony STR-12BS AM/FM it had a better SQ than various others big power amps I came to buy later, the previous model STR-11 are even better as it had SW band.

lazydays

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2022, 11:03 pm »
I'd look around for an Onkyo Integra receiver. The Pioneer Elite are usually pretty good. I have a Denon I found at a local Goodwill store that looks new. Took the top cover off and it was very clean inside. A cheap $9.99 and with the remote!!

The tuner section in the Onkyo is at the top of the heap. Also the weak point in the Denon. Never planed on using but two Tannoy monitors, and a Tannoy sub. There is a center speaker (actually two) from B&W and Polk. All told there's maybe a $150 plus cables. The CD player is going to be an Onkyo SACD player (I have two), and probably a turntable (JVC Q series). Add all this together and I've spent about $250
gary

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2022, 12:00 am »
In 1996 I bought Yamaha DSP-A3090, first integrated amplifier with built-in Dolby Digital (AC-3) decoder.It was 7.1, above the Main Speakers I was able to connect Front Effect Speakers.That unit was amazing for movies (laser discs at the time) and music.I paid $3500+tax.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2022, 11:57 am »
Here a great resource I ran across this past weekend.  The guy is selling refurbished units, but he has all the notes on the stuff he's worked on with sound quality before and after rated.  It doesn't appear that he's doing major mods, more like a straight replacement of what's needed.  Very enjoyable read even if not looking for vintage equipment or buying from him.

http://select45rpm.com/pages/hifi/vintage-hifi-reviews-pt2.html#205

mflaming

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2022, 10:30 pm »
Thanks for sharing. Interesting to read his impressions.

CrazyBlue

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2022, 02:46 pm »
I'd look around for an Onkyo Integra receiver.

I can't speak to the receivers, but I run an Onkyo Integra A-8067 integrated from around 1987, purchased from the original owner with a matching tuner, and I'll never part with it. Just had it serviced after 3 years of use. Except to clean the pots when I bought it, that was the first time it's been opened since new. Great sound and gobs of power driving a pair of Klipsch KG-3.5 with upgraded crossovers and Crites tweeter diaphragms.

Here's a review: http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/onkyo-integra-a-8067-438.html

57esquire

• Majoring in Minor things since 1969
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2022, 05:39 pm »
Old post but still relevant, I guess.

A friend of mine has a Luxman form the late 80's that is a cut above all of the others that we've tried including Onkyo's of the era.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2022, 06:46 pm »
..., and probably a turntable (JVC Q series). Add all this together and I've spent about $250
gary
You haven't checked the price of JVC Q series tables in a while.  $200 is about the bottom, with the upper ones in the $500+ range. 
It's been a while since TheChairGuy endorsed them so eloquently.  I picked up a QL-F6 for $100 way back then, with John's guidance on cartridges-- there's a nice one on Fleabay now asking $940 shipped.

Freo-1

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2022, 08:45 pm »
The Luxman receivers from that era were pretty good units.

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2022, 09:24 pm »
The Kenwood KA-5010 amplifier is the choice for sound quality. It is an integrated amp well designed even by tday's standards, maybe better. As you said, add a streamer so why add the complexity of a receiver when not needed.
80W/ch. and less than $200. Something to consider.