PSB Alpha P3 or NHT SuperZero

annamarykahn

PSB Alpha P3 or NHT SuperZero
« on: 8 Feb 2020, 01:16 am »
Looking for a compact near field computer speaker and am thinking about the PSB Alpha P3 or NHT SuperZero. This will be for a work system. Currently using Mirage OMD-5 for my home computer system & am hugely impressed with them :-)

Thanks in advance!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: PSB Alpha P3 or NHT SuperZero
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2020, 01:21 pm »
Sorry you didn't get any answers, I'm afraid I'd be of little help either.  I remember the NHT Zeros as being very clear and direct with not a lot of bass.  The Super Zero's I would assume are similar.  And I owned the original Alphas and I'm sure you'd get a lot deeper bass out of them.  I don't think you'd go wrong with either, but I wouldn't try to run the NHT's without at least a small sub.

jd3

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2020, 03:08 pm »
I’ve had a pair of NHT Super Zero XU’s for about 15 years.  I keep thinking I don’t need them but then I hook them up and remember how good they sound.  A very versatile speaker that I’ve used in an office system, briefly in a 2 channel system, and currently as surround speakers in a 5.2 system.   They don’t have much bass but are a great little speaker.  They’re pretty inefficient though as they’re an acoustic suspension design. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2020, 06:55 pm »
I have a pair of the Superzero 2.1s and think they are fantastic if you can live without the bass extension. Never heard the PSBs. The NHTs are $130 per pair on Amazon, or you could get the Superone 2.1 for less than $200.

SMcATX

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2020, 08:46 pm »
The PSBs are more comparable to the NHT SuperOne. The NHT's sealed box might be easier for placement if you need them to be near the wall.

viggen

« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2020, 10:09 pm »
I still have a pair of super0s in storage.  I replaced them with a pair of vintage Linn Kan mk1.  I much prefer the latter.

annamarykahn

« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2020, 11:49 pm »
thx for the feedback everyone :-)

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2020, 01:13 am »
Active studio monitor speakers get my vote. For example:

JBL 305P, 306P, 308P
Kali Lone Pine LP-6, LP-8

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2020, 01:20 pm »
Agreed Doublej.  The JBL 305 Mk2 are very hard to beat at multiples of the price and even include amplification.  Had the original 305s here for a week and they did nothing wrong, but fresh out of the box the Mk2 beat them instantly as they have a soul (being musical).  Also had their very big brother at the time, JBL 708P  (a very well respected reference studio monitor) on hand and at first thought I'd made a huge mistake, the Mk2 sounded so good.  But switching back found the 708P sounded more dynamic/room filling/detailed (for 25 times the price).  I could be satisfied with the 305 Mk2 and a quality DAC/preamp (and maybe a sub) for a very long time.