wushuliu

Re: Miniature TDA1543 DAC Brings the Goods
« Reply #21 on: 20 Feb 2012, 05:49 pm »
Could you use a 12v SLA with this DAC?

yes

walkern

« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:37 pm »
I bought one of these for my DacIt, and it sounds MUCH better than the stock SMPS wallwart:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teralink-X2-X1-U9VA-Linear-Low-noise-Power-Supply-/260959402579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc2647a53

I suspect it might also work with this little DAC, and it is quite affordable.  Shipping from Hong Kong was pretty fast (about a week to the midwest USA).

Neil

wushuliu

« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:44 pm »
I bought one of these for my DacIt, and it sounds MUCH better than the stock SMPS wallwart:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teralink-X2-X1-U9VA-Linear-Low-noise-Power-Supply-/260959402579?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc2647a53

I suspect it might also work with this little DAC, and it is quite affordable.  Shipping from Hong Kong was pretty fast (about a week to the midwest USA).

Neil

I have one of those. They are pretty frickin' cool. They only go from .25v-9v (hear that Squeezebox people?) however, so would not be usable for the 12-15v external connector...

celo

« Reply #24 on: 1 Mar 2012, 07:35 pm »
So, wushuliu. Can you tell us more about what you think about this DAC? Thanks!

wushuliu

« Reply #25 on: 5 Mar 2012, 12:51 am »
So, wushuliu. Can you tell us more about what you think about this DAC? Thanks!

My thoughts are unchanged regarding it's performance. Hopefully some other folks will chime in once they get theirs. That said I have gone back to my Essence ST sound card as DAC, as I do think it performs better - but it is also heavily modified.

Forgive me if I don't respond any further in this thread, I am pretty much fed up with forums.

wangch32

« Reply #26 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:12 am »
I received this dac a few days ago, didnt know what to expect, never used a external dac before, but in my set up it sounds great, Ive thrown a lot of different types of music at it, I love the sound, I have the toshiba 3950, Sensation 451 with Psvane 12au7, skiing ninja xls encores, vocals sound very nice, mids are wonderful, can listen for hours, thanks for recommending

praedet

« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2012, 03:20 pm »
Anyone know what the specs are on the 12V input?  I can power off a BatteryBUSS output if possible...

Ted

Alexdad54

« Reply #28 on: 28 Mar 2012, 08:36 pm »
How would one enclose this? Is something like this suitable? : http://www.rfsupplier.com/aluminum-enclosure-case-433252094lwh-p-1065.html

I'm not much of a DIY'er so don't know if a lot of work would need be done or could one just fit it into a prefabbed enclosure?

celo

« Reply #29 on: 28 Mar 2012, 08:56 pm »
How would one enclose this? Is something like this suitable? : http://www.rfsupplier.com/aluminum-enclosure-case-433252094lwh-p-1065.html

I'm not much of a DIY'er so don't know if a lot of work would need be done or could one just fit it into a prefabbed enclosure?

I don't blame you for thinking that case may work. It certainly won't becauce this thing is TINY! It measures 7cm x 7cm. With its RCA input in the back and the switches in the front make it 7cm. The side has the AC adapter input which makes it also 7cm. This case will be pretty big for it I think.

Alexdad54

« Reply #30 on: 28 Mar 2012, 10:07 pm »
Thanks for the info celo, I wish he would put that in his ebay ad! I have written to him asking what he suggests, no answer yet. I have seen a pic of a similar mini dac mounted on a wood base on head-fi....can't find the pic again tho... :duh:

celo

« Reply #31 on: 29 Mar 2012, 06:29 am »
Thanks for the info celo, I wish he would put that in his ebay ad! I have written to him asking what he suggests, no answer yet. I have seen a pic of a similar mini dac mounted on a wood base on head-fi....can't find the pic again tho... :duh:

No problem. I was shocked to see how tiny it was when I received it. I agree he should be putting that there. He is different with replies. I think sometimes he has email problems and is sometimes busy. However, when he replies he makes sure he answers all your questions with all the details.

I am planning to have a similar wood one also. If you can find yours, I would like you to post it for another option for myself.

Alexdad54

« Reply #32 on: 29 Mar 2012, 12:16 pm »
That looks really elegant. Where di d you source it?

Found the page I saw, not really an ideal solution though:  http://forums.audioreview.com/digital-domain-computer-audio/cheap-dac-working-well-36580.html
It's in post #10

I also saw this: http://attitube.com/digital-sources/da-converter/
He did a nice job, not sure where he got the box...

celo

« Reply #33 on: 29 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm »
That looks really elegant. Where di d you source it?

Found the page I saw, not really an ideal solution though:  http://forums.audioreview.com/digital-domain-computer-audio/cheap-dac-working-well-36580.html
It's in post #10

I also saw this: http://attitube.com/digital-sources/da-converter/
He did a nice job, not sure where he got the box...

I've found it in Google Images. I like it. I cannot make something like this but I know a wood guy, he may do it for me. Even for free probably since he did some furniture for me before. It will be tiny anyway, I don't think he would even accept money :)

Alexdad54

« Reply #34 on: 4 Apr 2012, 03:02 pm »
I've had some correspondence with the maker of this DAC and he's very kindly given me permission to post the link for pictures of an enclosure that one of his customers made for the DAC. It's on his website temporarily as he's almost finished making a website for the DAC. He's also arranging for fabrication of his own aluminum enclosures that will soon be available for purchase with the DAC. It will be similar but a bit larger as he wants it to be easy to move the DAC around an also accommodate two batteries for longer playback time on the batteries alone.
Here's the link: http://www.starting-point-systems.com/Battery_DAC/JSLFUNK_Photos/

BrassEar

« Reply #35 on: 16 Apr 2012, 04:26 pm »
If anyone is looking for a new DAC, I urge you to try this one. I am using this DAC with the PURE i-20 ipod dock and the combo is amazing. This DAC seems to overcome the isues with NOS DACs of the past (poor dynamics, congested sound during complex passages, etc.) The sound is supremely natural. 

Not a trace of digital nasties. It sounds very much like analog.  At the price, this is stupid great.

bigjppop

« Reply #36 on: 17 Apr 2012, 08:21 pm »
Just ordered one and looking forward to trying it out; I'll be running it from my Apple TV and am really excited about the idea of being able to use batteries in this little baby. I've run into trouble with ground loops in the past and this should make my life a little easier. Now I need to stock up on some good rechargeables.

ajst2duk

« Reply #37 on: 18 Apr 2012, 06:22 am »
Hey - I've had one of these for a while (8 months)  and for the price I thought it was spectacular. Firstly trialled it in our main system, eventually it sat decoding the optical out on the plasma panel for TV/Movies. It is pretty smooth/organic with some rolloff - I changed the output caps to 10ufPIO, noticed an improvement.

JohnR

« Reply #38 on: 18 Apr 2012, 09:22 am »
If anyone is looking for a new DAC, I urge you to try this one. I am using this DAC with the PURE i-20 ipod dock and the combo is amazing. This DAC seems to overcome the isues with NOS DACs of the past (poor dynamics, congested sound during complex passages, etc.) The sound is supremely natural. 

Not a trace of digital nasties. It sounds very much like analog.  At the price, this is stupid great.

Any thoughts on how it compares to the i-20 inbuilt DAC?

BrassEar

« Reply #39 on: 19 Apr 2012, 10:55 pm »
Any thoughts on how it compares to the i-20 inbuilt DAC?

The i-20 might be slightly more detailed, louder and brighter. The 1543 DAC has slightly less output but is much smoother. It also sounds more tube-like but not real rolled off like other NOS dacs. Better depth too.

The combo i-20 and 1543 dac for $200 is amazing IMHO.