Another Synchro-Mesh jitter breakthrough

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Re: Another Synchro-Mesh jitter breakthrough
« Reply #20 on: 26 Nov 2018, 04:19 pm »
Being actively involved in the DAC industry over the years, I know of very few who are as passionate and innovative as Professor Nugent.  There are some manufacturers who I am somewhat surprised they are as popular as they are or command the fees that they do.  My conclusion is that manufacturers are more into profit since the internals are only mass produced generic parts, not necessarily of the best quality and not necessarily the best implementation or quality workmanship.  Yet, the audio community speaks accolades for these units.

Second, there are those who simply are unable to achieve what Steve has done.  So cost and implementation are why this is not often seen.  This trend is a major part of the reason DACs devalue to 1/5 their initial MSRP in 2-3 years.  Empirical gear used still hold better value than most gear out there.

Empirical is not the only digital manufacturing company that commands my respect, but Steve certainly has earned it.   Three reasons:  First he is passionately driven to innovate and brings items to market when they are proven reliable and beneficial.  He also is able to see weaknesses in delivery of optimal signals and creates items that are versatile, bringing benefit to any component we choose to use.  Having seen his internal work, most of which is done by hand, there are few today with this ability.

audioengr

« Reply #21 on: 7 Feb 2019, 11:09 pm »
Jitter plot of iFi SPDIF iPurifier, which I use 2 in my HT system (30psec/division scale):

About 100psec of jitter, which is why it works pretty well.

Plot of Synchro-Mesh using same cables and Sonos as source (30psec/division scale):

About 10-20psec of jitter.

path73

« Reply #22 on: 24 Nov 2019, 08:16 pm »
Steve,
When reading what you posted on the SOTA PRAT DAC thread, I was wondering if the new regulators that you will be using for the new DAC could actually benefit the SM, possibly reducing the need for an external (Hynes based) power supply?
Enjoying my upgraded SM as I write these lines...
/path

audioengr

« Reply #23 on: 26 Nov 2019, 06:23 pm »
Steve,
When reading what you posted on the SOTA PRAT DAC thread, I was wondering if the new regulators that you will be using for the new DAC could actually benefit the SM, possibly reducing the need for an external (Hynes based) power supply?
Enjoying my upgraded SM as I write these lines...
/path

Possible, but the Hynes-based regs are really good.  I will not be redesigning the SM with these regulators unless I decide to do an I2S version.

Mike B.

« Reply #24 on: 26 Nov 2019, 07:54 pm »
I didn't know Haynes was still in business. I remember at one point he was heavily backlogged.

audioengr

« Reply #25 on: 26 Nov 2019, 10:50 pm »
I didn't know Haynes was still in business. I remember at one point he was heavily backlogged.

I use regulators that I designed after the Hynes designs.  I licensed the designs from him.

Mike B.

« Reply #26 on: 27 Nov 2019, 06:12 pm »
I use regulators that I designed after the Hynes designs.  I licensed the designs from him.

I have read they are excellent. I know there are a couple long threads at DIYaudio on better regulators. I think Silas is the author of one? I am interested in the $3500 giant killer DAC you are developing.

audioengr

« Reply #27 on: 28 Nov 2019, 12:26 am »
I have read they are excellent. I know there are a couple long threads at DIYaudio on better regulators. I think Silas is the author of one? I am interested in the $3500 giant killer DAC you are developing.

I took Hynes designs and sped them up and used better parts to get faster regulation.  This sets my regulators apart from Hynes.  Only the Hynes-type design uses a balanced, floating voltage reference.  Makes it very immune to input noise.  Perfect to put after a SMPS.  The new monolithic regulators for the SOTAPRAT DAC also reject input noise, but only about -70dB and at mostly higher frequencies.  They are very fast regulators though.  I'm still experimenting with different types and values of decoupling caps to get the best bass extension.  I had hoped that I would not need much decoupling cap with these regulators, but evidently I do.  This is the only thing that is lacking compared my Overdrive DAC, the really low bass extension.  It's already good but the Overdrive is still better.

BTW, today I had a breakthrough on a vexing problem I have been fighting for a month.  The source code for my state machine to program the D/A chip had a filename that was too long...  Simulating well now.  Should be able to test all sample-rates in about 2-3 weeks when I get the new programming socket and put the new chip on the board.  Then on to testing DSD functionality.  The plan is to support only 64X DSD mode. I would have to add a manual switch to select 128X mode and I don't want any more switches.

Steve N.

Goldenears19

« Reply #28 on: 24 Mar 2023, 08:51 pm »
Hi all, Wondering just when the last mods to the Synchro Mesh were available. What month and year!

audioengr

« Reply #29 on: 5 May 2023, 03:42 pm »
Hi all, Wondering just when the last mods to the Synchro Mesh were available. What month and year!

I believe it was some time during 2019.

Steve N.

artofaudio

« Reply #30 on: 15 Oct 2023, 04:21 am »
I bought a used older model of the synchromesh.  It’s connected via toslink to my u2 mini streamer per Steve’s recommendation.  The other connection in is connected to a Jays Audio CDT3MK3 via BNC.  The output is connected to a SwIx DAC III via BNC. I see a significant improvement on the streaming side. A bit less so on the transport side, but definitely an improvement.

I’m sending it out to Steve for the latest upgrades and the premium BNC cable.  What an amazing addition.  I hope to add an Audiophool LPS or LTA, Plixar LP to power the SM.