Re: Listening Thoughts on the Exotica 3 and Soundscape 8
« Reply #40 on: 23 May 2015, 12:20 am »
JP78,

+1

Bob

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #41 on: 23 May 2015, 12:32 am »
The Exoticas are going to be at Newport with new electronics.  Dac will be a Lampizator Lite 7 and Wells audio amps.  I am not sure if the Lite 7 has a volume control or if there is a preamp.  Interested to hear what people say.

Shawn

I'll be stopping by for a listen. Of course it'll be my first time hearing any of the mentioned components and speakers. I know when you sit down you're listening to the "system"..but how much is it of what you're hearing is the speakers?  60 to 70% and the rest the electronics? This will be a learning experience for sure...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #42 on: 23 May 2015, 12:59 am »
The Exoticas are going to be at Newport with new electronics.  Dac will be a Lampizator Lite 7 and Wells audio amps.  I am not sure if the Lite 7 has a volume control or if there is a preamp.  Interested to hear what people say.

Shawn

I was not overly impressed with the Big 7.  If the 101D tubes were put in then perhaps I would have liked the sound better.  Sounded laid back and slightly wimpy overall with the SOundscape 8's during Axpona testing.

sfox7076

« Reply #43 on: 23 May 2015, 01:28 am »
Well, from what I understand, the tube compliment would not be ideal for what I like either.  We will see what happens this time.  There are better tubes going this time. 

Gopher

« Reply #44 on: 23 May 2015, 01:31 am »
The tubes in play when you heard it were not a great match.  I didn't like what I heard either.   Planning on bringing several tubes to Newport to make sure we get the voicing right with the associated equipment.   

The cool thing about the 7s are that they are basically chameleons with the tubes used.

sfox7076

« Reply #45 on: 23 May 2015, 01:41 am »
I really have to agree with Fred on that.  You would not believe the tube differences.  I primarily use 275As from WE, but also love the 101Ds from WE.  I think Fred is bringing my second favorite tube (EML Globe 45s).  I will be shocked if people don't love the sound.  I would never have bought the Big 7 if I had only heard it with 2A3 tubes.  To me, it is dead and lifeless.  I heard it with globe 45s from the 30s and liked it.  Popped in 101Ds and I was floored.  Got 275As and have never heard better in my system.  Sold my Meitner and like it much better than my Chord Hugo. 

Folsom

« Reply #46 on: 23 May 2015, 01:54 am »
Seriously, talk to DaveC123 about some better cables at least! I've got BJC for IC's and I know they're just ok.

Given the efficiency of your speakers, I think everyone is far-fetching how much electronics you need in price. Get a better DAC, and an Uber power conditioner along with some cables... you'll be doing pretty good! The amp? I dunno, there are options that are cheaper and possibly better.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #47 on: 23 May 2015, 01:57 am »
Hey Shawn, was the Chord Hugo even in the ball park with the 7 in your system?

Sorry, off topic

JonnyFive

« Reply #48 on: 23 May 2015, 12:38 pm »
Seriously, talk to DaveC123 about some better cables at least! I've got BJC for IC's and I know they're just ok.

Given the efficiency of your speakers, I think everyone is far-fetching how much electronics you need in price. Get a better DAC, and an Uber power conditioner along with some cables... you'll be doing pretty good! The amp? I dunno, there are options that are cheaper and possibly better.

What alternative to Dynamic EQ, aka, "the loudness button" do I have with audiophile-approved pre-pros?  We might clear up the mids, open up the soundstage, etc etc... with a new DAC and preamp, but if I have no signal processing in the chain and am listening at -15 from reference, then the bass will be perceived as lacking. 

JonnyFive

« Reply #49 on: 23 May 2015, 12:40 pm »
JP78, great writeup!  You put it much better than I could.