Placing SongTower near wall

senkrish

Placing SongTower near wall
« on: 16 Jan 2015, 07:55 pm »
After using my current setup of speakers (Polk Satellites) for about 10 years I have finally decided to pull the plug to upgrade. The Salk Towers are in my short list, I've read nothing but great positive reviews about these towers. I noticed that these are rear ported. I'll be placing the fronts on a 10' wall and there's a hall way one end of the wall. So i'll have to place the fronts as close to the wall as possible, without obstructing the passage to the hall way.

My question is how close can I place the STs to the wall? The standard recommendation is 2' from the wall, but I dont have that luxury. The speakers will have to be few inches from the wall. Will this cause bass distortion (if that's the right word, i'm fairly new to audio) with the STs? Do the ports come with plugs I can use to solve this problem?

My room is 13 x 14 x 9, it opens to a kitchen 13 x 8. So open space dimension is really 13 x 22 x 9. I've attached a picture to show the floor plan. Thanks for your help.

Gzerro

Re: Placing SongTower near wall
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2015, 07:01 am »
You can order song towers front ported. Just specify when you order.

glangford

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2015, 12:34 pm »
The transmission line cabinet is supposed to be not as sensitive to placement from a wall.  I've got my SCST a foot from a wall, they sound just fine.

MichiganMike

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2015, 02:01 pm »
I have Salk SongTowers placed with the front roughly even with the front of my TV stand.  The rear port is about 6 inches from the wall behind the stand.  This may not be the ideal placement, but the speakers sound very good to my ears and do not interfere with walking paths in the room.  The bass sounds extended but not boomy. 

If I was ordering the SongTower speakers again, my preference would still be for the rear port for reasons of visual aesthetics.  The Hawaiian Koa wood finish on my speakers shows the art of a craftsman, typical of Jim Salk's finishes.  I am reluctant to sacrifice some of this beautiful wood surface for a front port. 

WAF may also be better with a rear port.  My wife much prefers the clean lines of my SongTowers to the appearance of my SoundScape 10 speakers in another room.   

R Swerdlow

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2015, 04:25 pm »
My question is how close can I place the STs to the wall? The standard recommendation is 2' from the wall, but I dont have that luxury. The speakers will have to be few inches from the wall. Will this cause bass distortion (if that's the right word, i'm fairly new to audio) with the STs? Do the ports come with plugs I can use to solve this problem?

Your question has often been asked, and you'll be happy to know that the answer is you can place the rears of rear-ported STs as close to the wall as the plinths allow without a negative impact on the sound.  The back of the plinth extends about 2" beyond the back of the cabinets.

Dennis Murphy, and many others, have confirmed this.

As long as you do not directly block the openings of the ports, your proposed arrangement should be fine.

billmcc

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2015, 11:16 pm »
I have my STs about 15" from the front wall and they sound great. I'd like to bring them out further into the room but they'd be in the way. The suggestion for going to a front ported ST is a good one. But I just don't care for the look of the port on the front of the STs.

Bill

senkrish

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2015, 07:14 pm »
This is great news, thanks everyone! I'm also looking at Aperion Grand towers and the Sierra Towers. I was told the VGT has to be atleast 12" from the wall, 15" is preferable. The Sierras can go close as well. I'm really glad Salks can work in my setup. Thanks again.

I'm looking to demo the towers if anyone is kind enough to indulge me. I live in the SF bay area, anyone around here? Please PM me if you are willing to demo your system, I would really appreciate it.

drumike

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2015, 03:20 am »
I'm located in the Santa Cruz area if that close enough. I have the SC Song Towers with the port in the front.
Never heard any other Salks so I can't compare them. Somewhat similar room setup as you have and I do move them
around a bit which is easy with sliders and wood floors. Tried to add picture ( poor quality ) to give you an idea.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2015, 03:27 am »
Nice drumike!

I don't think I've ever seen Salks where the tweeter was centered. Looks great!

senkrish

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2015, 07:02 pm »
Wow, you have an awesome setup, drumike! Your back wall configuration is exactly same as mine, how far apart are the towers from the center channel? Thank you much for offering to demo your speakers. I'll PM you to arrange a good time.

drumike

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2015, 08:08 pm »
OK. I don't have a center channel. I use to have a surround sound system but did not use it and decided to jump at the Salk's when they became available for immediate delivery. These were made as surrounds for a system and the owner changed his mind. That is why the
port is in the front and the tweeter is centered. I think you get less diffraction with the offset tweeter. Jim said the buyer asked for them that
way and although it might show up graphically he wasn't sure if one could tell a difference. I just loved the finish of these and knew it would take me a real long time to decide on a finish myself and then have to wait for them. My set up has changed somewhat since that pic.
Speakers are 7' to 9' apart depending on my listening mood. I usually have them 2' to as much as 3' out from the back wall. Like I said
I can move them around easily and like to experiment. Have a towel under the right speaker right now just for extra protection when sliding it.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2015, 08:33 pm »
That is why the port is in the front and the tweeter is centered. I think you get less diffraction with the offset tweeter. Jim said the buyer asked for them that way and although it might show up graphically he wasn't sure if one could tell a difference.

I would imagine less of a difference than the 1" wider Veracity HT2-TL and 2-1/2" wider SoundScape 8.

Steve

joegator81

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2015, 11:20 pm »
I'm going to differ with some of the opinions offered here. While i do agree that i didn't notice a huge tonal shift or bloated bass with the speakers closer to the back wall i did notice an expansion of the sound stage in depth front to back when i pulled them out even further. This was so very clear in my system and room as to not even be arguable. However, i will say that this may very well be room and system dependent so YMMV.