New to the hobby. Setting up new system

ernest787

New to the hobby. Setting up new system
« on: 3 Apr 2013, 06:52 pm »
Hi guys. I'm new to the audiophile hobby and  setting up my first system that will be used exclusively for music and a majority of that will be vinyl listening.

That said, I just purchased a pair of SAlk song towers with RT and a "10 tc sub

I now need to purchase the rest of the components but my head is starting to spin lol

I don't have a huge budget left right now so I think I'm going to have to make some sig compromises initially and then upgrade down the road.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Crown XLS 2000 for the amp but am torn on the preamp.

Everyone is tellin me the emotivia pre amp shouldn't be paired with the rest of the system. After purchasing everything else i don't want to spend more than 1k on the pre amp.

Any advice on current or even used pre amps I can get in that price range that would serve me well for the next year or two till I could afford to spend more on a pre amp?

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
Re: New to the hobby. Setting up new system
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2013, 04:46 am »
A nice, yet inexpensive way to enjoy 2 channel analog would be something like the Pioneer A-20 (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Amplifiers/A-20).

Austin08

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:32 am »
Maybe this should fit the bill.

parasound2100

Plus this used amp just posted here.

AVA240.

This should be a very capable combo at a minimal budget.  :thumb:

rohrej

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2013, 06:49 am »
I'm going to have to disagree with "everyone" and say that the Emotiva preamp (the new XSP-1) is a great, preamp at any price, plus it has a 30-day trial period.  If 1k is your budget I would look at it very hard before passing it up.  It is true that some older Emotiva products (the UMC-1 pre/pro, or the USP-1 pre) might not have been able to get the best from the SongTowers, but the XSP-1 pre is really in a different league from the older ones.  The phono stage included in it is also quite good, which can save you some money if you haven't already purchased a discrete one.

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2013, 01:09 pm »

parasound2100

AVA240.

A big +1 from me on those recommendations.

ernest787

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2013, 01:29 pm »
I didn't realize emotivia does a 30 day home trial. I'm seriously considering that.

I've also been looking and have found some older audio reseach pre amps that are within budget that I'm interested in.

The benefit to the audio researxh is that I can get a hybrid that will use tubes to power the phone stage. I've always been a big fan of the tube sound. Unfortunately most of the tube pre amps are out of my current price range

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2013, 01:31 pm »
I have this for 2 yrs + now and its superlative with the SongTowers..

http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=140&Itemid=203

Alex

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2013, 01:47 pm »

parasound2100

AVA240.

A big +1 from me on those recommendations.

another big +1 for that combo!  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2013, 02:17 pm »
While the Class D Crown XLS 2000 has a lot of watts for $500 (375W/ch @ 8 ohm, 650W @ 4 ohm), outside of PA use, the main home audio use by far is for passive subwoofers.

A combo that might keep you and the Salk SongTower RTs happy for more than a few years is the Parasound 2100 preamplifier mated with the Parasound 2125 amplifier (Class AB, 125W/ch @ 8 ohm, 200W/ch @ 4 ohm).

There is one of each available used on Audiogon right now, and at the price it would be hard to go wrong.  The Parasound 2100 preamp for $435 and the Parasound 2125 amp for $425 makes an $860 combo that would be hard to beat for sound, features and price.

Steve

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2013, 02:50 pm »
While the Class D Crown XLS 2000 has a lot of watts for $500 (375W/ch @ 8 ohm, 650W @ 4 ohm), outside of PA use, the main home audio use by far is for passive subwoofers.

A combo that might keep you and the Salk SongTower RTs happy for more than a few years is the Parasound 2100 preamplifier mated with the Parasound 2125 amplifier (Class AB, 125W/ch @ 8 ohm, 200W/ch @ 4 ohm).

There is one of each available used on Audiogon right now, and at the price it would be hard to go wrong.  The Parasound 2100 preamp for $435 and the Parasound 2125 amp for $425 makes an $860 combo that would be hard to beat for sound, features and price.

Steve

I'm really liking this too. :thumb:

For reference I've owned 2 Parasound amps and have been very happy with them.  :wink:

bigjppop

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:07 pm »
I don't own the salks, but I've thought about them many times, but I just wanted to confirm that you're wanting to spend 1K just on the pre? I think you can get a little more mileage for your buck by cutting your pre budget and boosting your amp budget. I own the emotiva USP-1 and I think it's a great piece of gear. If you're up for some DIY fun you could also check out something from bottlehead for a tubed pre.

If I'm doing the math right you're looking at around 1500 for your preamp/amp combo?  I think that is a pretty healthy budget and there are some great options out there; lots of options that will make your speakers shine (the parasound gear mentioned above included.)

ernest787

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:22 pm »
I thought my budget was originally ok for the pre amp and amp and then after looking around and asking I was told my budget wasn't sufficient to get quality seperates that would do the Salks justice which was initially disheartening.

But the more I read and learn I'm finding out that's not completely true.

I think I'm going to drop the crown and look at the parasound amp.  Would I get better mileage and Salk sound by snagging the 2250?

I'm still wanting to get a tube pre amp if possible.

I've for my eye on an audio research sp14. I know it's older but I'm strongly leaning that direction right now. Thoughts?

bigjppop

« Reply #12 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:37 pm »
What do you want from your pre? Remote? How many inputs? Onboard phono options? Headphone capabilities? Subwoofer output/crossover? Also, are you willing to try your hand at DIY?

ernest787

« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:55 pm »
I don't care too much about having a remote. I would like to have a phono stage built in if possible since this will be heavily used for vinyl.  I'd be willing to buy a phono stage seperate, but again the built in is preferential.  I'd like tube if possible or at least a hybrid.

charmerci

« Reply #14 on: 4 Apr 2013, 03:57 pm »

Gzerro

« Reply #15 on: 4 Apr 2013, 04:08 pm »
Another +1 for the Parasound 2100.

My reasoning is you already have a sub and you are a vinyl guy. It is one of very few pre's in your price range that has analog bass management for your sub. If you care about keeping digital conversions out of your analog signal path, this is a great pick.

Even if you aren't concerned about this, it is still a great value.

guf

« Reply #16 on: 4 Apr 2013, 04:24 pm »
hate to be that guy in this thread but here it goes:
in my experience the past year of owning various salk speakers, and various amps is that the changes were subtle.... compared to speaker or room treatments. My 600$ bass traps on my back wall blew me away compared to spending thousands of dollars switching from a older integra av amp to parasound 2250 to a ava 400r to w4s sx1000. sure my critical ear may not be as critical as some but in my opinion you got yourself a nice pair of speakers stay within your budget on the amp and pre. I was/am selling  a 2250 for $500 and getting low ball offers here in san francisco for 400$,  there are great used gear and prices out there.  I am also a huge fan of bottlehead products. their tube pre is really inexpensive and people love them. all of the options mentioned are great suggestions.  good luck

TJHUB

« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2013, 04:26 pm »
Having owned the Parasound 2100/2250 combo, I can say with confidence to steer away from the 2125 and 2250 amps.  They have a distorted sound to them that I just couldn't live with.  Go to the Halo line for amps.  And while the 2100 is a great preamp in general with its feature set, I think it's fairly well known to have a poor sounding phono input.  I'm not a vinyl guy, but we did some comparisons at a friend's house, and the 2100 actually sounded bad.  For everything else, it's pretty great. 

ernest787

« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:09 pm »
I fully agree on the room treatments and that will definitely be something that is done, but will have to wait a little bit. We are waiting to close on our home and then will figure out what type of treatments are needed

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 4 Apr 2013, 05:26 pm »
Having owned the Parasound 2100/2250 combo, I can say with confidence to steer away from the 2125 and 2250 amps.  They have a distorted sound to them that I just couldn't live with.  Go to the Halo line for amps.  And while the 2100 is a great preamp in general with its feature set, I think it's fairly well known to have a poor sounding phono input.  I'm not a vinyl guy, but we did some comparisons at a friend's house, and the 2100 actually sounded bad.  For everything else, it's pretty great.

Just goes to show YMMV. :green:

My Parasound 5250 sounded great with my HT2-TL (to my ears). :thumb: