Another soon to be Odyssey system owner

slow_down

Another soon to be Odyssey system owner
« on: 28 Jul 2007, 01:54 pm »
Just ordered Odyssey's budget system, upgrading the Epiphonies to a set of pre-owned Nightingales that Klaus happens to have coming his way via trade-in.  I'm still fairly brand new to the world of higher-end audio, and while I did some basic research on the net, must admit a HUGE factor in my choice of Odyssey was the information and feedback found on this message forum.  Whether intended or not, you guys ended up being a big resource for me, so thanks!

dangerbird

Re: Another soon to be Odyssey system owner
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2007, 02:03 pm »
Congratulations,,I'm sure that you will enjoy the Odyssey gear,,have fun. aa

mca

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2007, 05:11 pm »
I think you will really enjoy the Nightingales, it's a lot of speaker for the money and I always liked the looks of them. Selling my cherry pair was one of the bigger mistakes I made  :?

slow_down

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2007, 05:48 pm »
My Nightingales will be red cherry, assuming they check out with Klaus (hasn't received them yet).  If for whatever reason they don't, I'll likely just get a pair of the new Epiphonies.

And I can't wait!  Will actually be meeting Klaus to pick everything up in a few weeks.

jose

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2007, 06:23 pm »
slow_down,

The Nightingales are a huge step up from the Epiphonies in every respect. Their clarity and elegance is stunning. At the retail price of $1,300 they were already unbelievable. Used, and from Klaus, they must be the deal of a lifetime. Unless you are insane, you will never want to part with them. Congratulations.
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2007, 06:51 pm by jose »

slow_down

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2007, 10:11 am »
Thanks.  I'm pretty excited about the whole deal.  My last 2 channel stereo setup was a $250 denon receiver and infinity reference three's - in high school!  Since then it's been cheap home theater rigs and more recently my ipod + nice headphones.  Can't wait to re-experience my CD collection on the Odyssey system.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2007, 10:36 am by slow_down »

bunky

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2007, 05:21 pm »
Thanks.  I'm pretty excited about the whole deal.  My last 2 channel stereo setup was a $250 denon receiver and infinity reference three's - in high school!  Since then it's been cheap home theater rigs and more recently my ipod + nice headphones.  Can't wait to re-experience my CD collection on the Odyssey system.
If you could spring for the extra money to get the Candela you will never regret it.thanks....WCW III

slow_down

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2007, 07:03 pm »
Unfortunately my budget's already stretched to the limit, especially since I haven't even bought a source yet (likely to be a stock Squeezebox 3 for at least a few months, then maybe add a budget DAC and/or mod the Squeezebox next year).

Also, like I said earlier, this is my first high-end system.  My current receiver is one of those 5.1 receivers that had bleeding edge features at the time for under $400, which means its power is likely overrated and it's probably filled with junk parts, plus it's matched with a budget sat/sub system.  I'm pretty sure that the Odyssey system, even with the "entry level" preamp, is gonna blow that out of the water and make me very happy for many months if not longer!

Plus, I know so very little about this stuff!  I didn't "get smart" about audiophile 2-channel technology as much as I would have liked before buying - just just got carried away by all the good buzz on Odyssey, especially the "budget" system, got a good feeling about the company and frankly just liked the way it looked to be honest, and ended up pulling the trigger before doing as much research as I had planned.  So before I go throwing more dollars at this stuff, I figure I should probably learn a LOT more about the technology.

Haoleb

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2007, 09:57 pm »
Glad to hear we've got another ready to experience all that which is Odyssey, Be sure to let us know what you think once you get it!  :thumb: