8th Nerve Room Treatments, and more reasons to get some!

Hantra

All:

I finally got some help with the bass issues I as having last week.  A good friend of mine came by, and brought over some really cool software and a microphone to help me out.  This guy has been in the audio business for almost 20 years now, and has developed countless products, been to tons of shows, and setup tons of systems all over the world.

While measuring my room, we found the bass suckout, and then I started sliding my speakers back toward the wall.  Finally, it was on.  I had bass again!  In fact, you should have seen the curve of my in-room response.  My friend says that this is some of the BEST in-room response he has ever seen in his twenty years, and that it doesn't get much better for in-room response.  

I was pleased to hear that, and I feel a lot better about it after seeing the curves, and seeing what I was missing, and that it wasn't just a figment of my imagination.  

As far as the in-room response being so good, I'd credit much of that to my 8th Nerve room treatments.  Not only are they a FRACTION of the cost of the treatments I used previously, but they make my room sound MUCH better than with the other treatments.  And I use LESS of them than the others!  

I am really pleased with all the stuff I have gotten from them. . .

B

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2003, 07:05 pm »
That is a pretty good endorsement!

markC

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2003, 02:21 am »
Nice "curves' on ya  , big fella, but how does it sound? Too much emphesis has been put into numbers latley, IMO. Every time that I make an upgrade, I'm shockingly pleased at first, but give it 3 weeks or so and it's just an improvement. Not like the cumlative tweaks haven't helped a lot, though.

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2003, 02:24 am »
how does it sound?

Ask my boss!  hahaha!!!!  

I am up until like 1AM listening, and late to work for the past week.  

Making up for that time I was missing bass, and didn't listen. . .

B

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2003, 04:47 am »
While measuring my room, we found the bass suckout, and then I started sliding my speakers back toward the wall. Finally, it was on. I had bass again! In fact, you should have seen the curve of my in-room response. My friend says that this is some of the BEST in-room response he has ever seen in his twenty years, and that it doesn't get much better for in-room response.

Sounds strangly like advice I gave someone recently :wink:

Most always there is an exact point of "placement balance" between the side and front walls, where the bass and imaging trade off collide, (some might say intersect) and the best results are obtained. :thumb:

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2003, 11:23 am »
B,

I second the kudos for Eighth Nerve.  There products tamed my room challenged response.  Bill and Nathan are great to deal with, so much so I put in an order for a preamp and new cabling for my system.

They also treat repeat customers well.  :D

nature boy

cjr888

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2003, 11:50 am »
Hantra,

As for the numbers, could you mention a little more about the suckout, and from the curves, where things started 'missing'?

Hantra

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2003, 12:57 pm »
As for the numbers, could you mention a little more about the suckout, and from the curves, where things started 'missing'?

Well there was a 7-10db hole between 60 and 80Hz.  There was also a similar bump at around 125.  Once we slid them back a couple of feet, it was very smooth.  The problem I had when I tried that was loss of focus.  But I ended up follwing my friend's and Piegas advice, and toeing the speakers in so that I was dead on axis, and that was an amazing experience.  

B

markC

« Reply #8 on: 22 Oct 2003, 07:21 pm »
Hantra, after you slid your speakers back, did you realign them and your listening position as per your diagrams from a previous post? I was thinking of trying the alignment thing soon.

witchdoctor

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2003, 04:52 pm »
I have to agree on 8th Nerve products. Simply put, you must try them to belive it!
There is not a better bang for your buck in all of audio IMHO.
AND, they don't need to break in like a component.

Hantra

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2003, 06:27 pm »
after you slid your speakers back, did you realign them and your listening position as per your diagrams from a previous post?

Mark, I did!  And it worked equally well this time!  Let us know how it works out for you!

B

markC

« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2003, 09:09 pm »
I aligned mine on Thurs. As dumb luck would have it, I was already within 3/4"! I found it difficult to be exact because of the spikes on my Soliloquy's,  but I did manage to get them within 3/16" before I got pissed off and gave up. Didn't notice a huge difference, I already had a good centre image going, but I did notice that the entire sound stage is a bit more "filled in." All in all, a worthwhile endeavour. And, like you said, it's free! Thanks for the diagrams.