!st Reflections

Trismos

!st Reflections
« on: 29 Apr 2012, 12:21 am »
I was thinking that if you used the mirror method to determine where on the wall you would put your traps for first deflections, it wouldn't really matter where in that line of site you actually situated it. And actually, the closer to the speaker, the smaller it could effectively be. So what about something like this:

I'm only concerned with sound at my listening position so this should be ideal no?

Trismos

Re: !st Reflections
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2012, 02:11 am »
And perhaps this should be in the GR forum as I am speaking about Danny's N3 in this case and of course there is no GIK product to support. (I haven't patented anything yet Bryan).

InfernoSTi

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2012, 02:38 am »
I have heard of such things before...even tried it a while back when I was in a narrow apartment (don't ask about what the neighbors thought!): 

http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4054

Bryan will weigh in with something constructive, I'm sure (guess he is busy with AKFest, maybe?).  :lol:

Best,
John

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2012, 08:28 pm »
Yeah - buried from AKFEST still - sorry.

You can do something like that but understand it's still only going to address upper frequencies.   It will help somewhat for those though if you get them far enough out front - but it also then limits the overall dispersion for non-direct reflections.

Bryan

Trismos

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2012, 11:36 pm »
Yeah - buried from AKFEST still - sorry.

You can do something like that but understand it's still only going to address upper frequencies.   It will help somewhat for those though if you get them far enough out front - but it also then limits the overall dispersion for non-direct reflections.

Bryan

Thx Bryan    Welcome back. Hope it was good!

but it also then limits the overall dispersion for non-direct reflections

But isn't that the whole idea - to tidy up or eliminate as best as possible the first reflections which are presumably interfering with the direct sound waves that cause a less coherent soundstage? I wouldn't presume that this would address LF and that bass traps of some sort would likely still be needed, but isn't this almost the ideal first reflection problem solver? The farther away you put a trap, the larger the surface area is going to be required, and the more likely you will be missing some of it. I'd put a diffuser behind me - build it into my book case maybe.

This is just my listening room and the only real concern is my listening position.

Regards
Dave