Archos Speakers

Stercom

Archos Speakers
« on: 20 Jun 2010, 01:08 pm »
I've been lurking around AudioCircle for a few years now with particular interest in Jim Salk's speakers. I was a little reluctant to buy a pair of Salks because I had mostly heard the HT3 and I knew my lower powered tube gear wouldn't drive them properly. However, when the demo pair of Archos recently went up for sale after the last AKFest, and I read the extremely positive comments about the Archos being driven by Frank VanAlstine's Ultravalve, I figured I'd take the plunge.

I assume most of you reading this realize the Archos is a very tube friendly 94 db efficient open baffle design - there is no box around the tweeter or midrange.  It uses the G2 ribbon, a 6.5" PHL midrange and a 12" Lambda woofer. Jim and Jeff Bagby designed it. Although the speakers can sit fairly close to the side walls (there is not much output to the side of the midrange driver) I found them to sound better sitting well out into the room with at least 5 feet behind them and 2 feet to the nearest side wall.  That open baffle needs room to breath! Bass reinforcement is fine sitting so far out because the 12" Lambda is so well tuned and balanced with the rest of the speaker. 

This speaker was obviously listened to very closely and refined throughout the development process - the drivers are seamless. A lot of work went into the crossover. The sound of the Archos is very balanced and the tone is spot-on. The notes have proper leading edge attack but have the soundstage decay and size to make them sound real. Imaging is easy to hear with individual musicians/vocalists in their separate locations with their own "space" around the sound. You know how the drummer hit every drum in a drum kit since each note has its own tone, location, and size.  I've been in this hobby for over 30 years and I can tell you most speakers can't do that. Although I'm using "only" 40 tube watts per channel that is more than enough for these speakers. The bass can rattle pictures on my wall if thats what the music calls for. I've always liked ribbon tweeters but when not implemented correctly they can make you tired after 15 or 20 minutes. Not so with these speakers the upper end is excellent - very much what I've heard with the HT3. However, its the midrange that really strikes you. It is detailed yet full bodied at the same time. I think the open baffle makes a big difference with the midrange. Overall, this speaker may be the "sleeper" in Jim's lineup plus its at a very attractive price point.

Any other Archos owners out there? I'd love to hear about your setups, experiences and suggestions regarding these speakers! :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Archos Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2010, 03:55 pm »
I've got a suggestion,,, got pictures?  8)  Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

Stercom

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:42 pm »
Here is a pic. I moved a Fisher 800c (uses KT-88s), AR Turntable w/Linn arm and Olive Music Server into my room this morning. I usually have that equipment in my office. Also I forgot to mention previously that Jim's customer service and the fit-n-finish on these speakers are exactly what everyone says they are: excellent!

Woolz

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:50 pm »
Hi, glad to hear you are enjoying the Archos.  I have written my impressions on this site some time ago, but I have changed a few things since then.  I am now using tubes to drive them, a CJ LP70S which has 70 watts per side.  And even in my very large room the sound and bass is quite satisfying.  I had used a McCormack 500 before and I don't miss the power.  And I do prefer the sound of the CJ amp.  I also acquired a CJ Premier 17S2 preamp to replace my Dehavilland.
I have come to a different conclusion about positioning the speakers in the room however.  My room being so large I find the best bass balance and tonal balance over-all is for the speakers to be only 24 inches off the back wall and that is to the midrange baffle not the rear of the cabinet.  The sound is not as spacious as it is with the speakers further into the room, but I don't hear any problems being that close.  I used the Sumiko Master Set technique for setting them up.  They are set up asymetrically in the room with 8 ft to the right wall and about 13 ft. to the left wall.  They are about 8 ft. apart and I sit about 9 ft back. 
The Archos don't get much attention, but they are a powerful package that provide a lot for the money.  If you are an audiophile who likes tube amps they are really a marvelous solution for a bargain price. I much prefer them to my HT2s.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:52 pm »
They look great - really. Would love to hear more about them.

mark funk

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2010, 06:14 pm »
I like those woofers :thumb:.

:smoke:

jd3

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2010, 06:20 pm »
Stercom,
So you bought the pair Jim had at AKFest!  I really enjoyed listening to them at AKFest...I really couldn't decide if I preferred them over the HT-2TL's.  I loved their open, detailed sound.  I'm glad you like them..they are both beautiful to look and and to listen to!  Your comments along with Woolz' have made it clear to me that they probably won't work in my house...I don't have a room where I could place them that far out from the wall to really appreciate them.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2010, 06:38 pm »
Thanks for providing a picture of your wonderful system Stercom.  :thumb:  Knowing how much Salk loudspeakers like the power, it's mighty hard to imagine those Archos being powered by only 40 watts. Just goes to show you never know about something til you try it out for yourself. Salute!  :beer:

Cheers,
Robin

Stercom

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2010, 06:43 pm »
Thanks for the comments. With my set-up I'm thinking that big 6.5" midrange is loading that entire enclave you see with sound which is why I'm getting such a big soundstage. I thought the fairly large baffles might constrict the sound a little because smaller baffle speakers usually image better but with the Archos the baffles don't even come into play, they seem to disappear.

Stercom

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2010, 11:21 am »
Just wanted to update my thoughts on the Salk Archos. I have owned some excellent ribbon based speakers in the past so I knew what to expect in the treble region. The large open baffle midrange, however, is a kind of revelation for me. My speakers in the past had the closed box traditional midrange which, by comparison, was constricting the sound. I can see why Jim went to an open baffle midrange in the SoundScapes. It literally opens the sound. The Lambda woofer also has surprised me since it looks like it needs a few hundred watts to be properly controlled but that simply isn't the case. Amazing design. Here is an updated picture of my system. As you can see I'm an analog/tube nut.

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2010, 10:19 pm »
As you can see I'm an analog/tube nut.

There is nothing wrong with that. :D 

Your system looks great.  Enjoy man!

ttan98

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2010, 11:37 pm »
Hi,

I am glad you enjoy your speakers. I know it will sound good I am designing my own pair using PHL(2460) and Hi-Vi RT8II ribbon.

Jim,

Jeff initially designed these speakers with dome tweeters, only lately you changed to ribbon tweeters from AC, can you tell me the actual x-over frequency between ribbon and mid-range? thanks