Anyone try these tweeter surrounds?
« on: 14 Dec 2009, 05:58 am »
Jim Goulding sells tweeter surrounds.

http://www.diffractionbegone.com/index.html

Anyone try them?  Is there any benefit?

evan1

Re: Anyone try these tweeter surrounds?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2009, 09:44 am »
I inquired about them and the manufacturer said that they would not be benefit to my Songtowers due to the way the tweeter is mounted to the baffle they are mounted in front of the baffle so the tweeter is  fine without them.

(I could be wording it wrong but that was the general explanation)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2009, 12:46 pm »
Made some of my own from 3/8 felt and they didn't last very long on the G2 tweeter.  And I cut the opening around the tweeter at 45 degrees as well.  Took away the air and life from the top end.

fluke242

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2009, 09:48 pm »
Made some of my own from 3/8 felt and they didn't last very long on the G2 tweeter.  And I cut the opening around the tweeter at 45 degrees as well.  Took away the air and life from the top end.

I agree with BRM.  We did an quick test at the NW GTG on a pair of speakers and the felt surrounds rolled the high end off.  I don't suggest the surrounds but you can do as BRM did and test with felt. 

John

R Swerdlow

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2009, 11:28 pm »
As evan1 already said, Salk speakers do not need this kind of treatment.

Read the manufacturer's page:
"Any box speaker with surface mounted tweeters will benefit from
our small thing."

On all the Salks, the tweeters are flush mounted as opposed to surface mounted.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2009, 12:43 am »
Hi, all.  I don't know how what I make would marry with SongTowers, and, frankly, feedback has been ambivalent from customers using Salk's at best.  So, maybe there is virtue to what is being said here.  I have heard naked HT3's in a super system and loved what I heard.  Worth mentioning is that my pads do not interfere with the direct radiation of the tweeter.  I mention this because reading the above makes it sound like it does.  What it is doing IS subtractive.  For that reason I think a listener should give some time to it to adjust.  The highs may recede into the soundfield but I am doubtful they will measure down in level.  The part of the frequency response that likely will is around the crossover or in the lower bandpass of the tweeter where diffraction effects are most gratuitous.  Subsequently, the ear may focus more into the midrange as things should be smoother going in.  As Some Young Guy reported a week or so ago, the air is still there but it sounds more natural.  Natural and clear is what I am striving for by removing some of the mechanics of dynamic speakers. 

The model that Oneinthepipe owns have centered tweeters in an upright enclosure with parallel sides.  For that reason I encouraged him to "give it a go".  A trapezoid shape of an enclosure will spread what diffracted information there is more over time and should make it less audible.  I have another reason for encouraging him . . I, too, want to know what to expect for myself.  So much so, I will offer to send a set for a test on me.  If this would include more than one listener, they should be seated in the sweet spot with the speakers out into the room some so they have room to open up.

What to expect?  I'll let the guys quoted on page 3 of my website tell you that.  None have flush mounted ribbons, tho, but the first fellow has trapezoid shape tweeter enclosures.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2009, 08:01 pm by jimdgoulding »