Re-terminating Nirvana speaker cables?

Xcalibur

Re-terminating Nirvana speaker cables?
« on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:45 am »
This is basically a question for Jason, but I figured I would post it publicly in case others might benefit from the answer rather than email directly.

I was wondering how difficult it would be for somebody who has never touched a soldering iron in their life to re-terminate a pair of Nirvana speaker cables with banana plugs.  I know the spades seem to be preferred for their copper signal path, but the cables are so heavy and thick the spades are just too much of a battle to use.  Because of the way I have to contort the cables behind my desk now they literally flip the Virtue.TWO amp on its side the moment I let go of them so I really need to have the cables exist straight out of the back of the posts rather than from the sides as they do now with the spades.

Is this possible for a novice?  Thanks to anybody who can offer guidance on this.

While I'm typing this, I was wondering if there was a consensus on power cables for the Virtue amps?  Virtue/Jason doesn't make one, which suggests to me they don't really buy into the concept of power cables affecting sound quality.  For my tube amp, for example, there is a LOT of debate on this subject.  Is the power cable a non-issue for the external switching PSU?

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
Re: Re-terminating Nirvana speaker cables?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2011, 03:24 am »
No Soldering iron needed for our speaker cables, all terminations are crimped. :thumb:

its actually quite simple.
first- cut the heat shrink to 5/8" past where the spade starts (I use a utility knife)
second- cut the spade off cutting through the wire as close to the spade as possible.
third- strip the remaining 5/8" of each of the 4-16awg conductors and twist them clockwise together to form a single 10awg wire
Fourth- slide on the new banana's and tighten the heck out of those screws! (see below for my recommended plugs) 

guys because the banana plugs use screws I highly recommend tightening the screws a second time in 24 hours after the wire has had time to settle in or the plugs can come loose, I do this with ever pair I terminate.

ok now for the plugs
I cant sell the Virtue bananas, I'm getting low on them sorry guys.
here are the best I've found for the money (next to ours of coarse) and are the perfect mass.
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8829
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8828

Guys I also recommend using heat shrink tubing instead of the rubber boot that comes with the plugs because it holds better and doesn't discolor like the rubber boots (see picture at the bottom)

I do have some of these banana plugs in stock and can order more if you guys want to order them through me, figure $1.25 each I can ship them in an envelope for around $1.50

if you guys want to order them from me please let me know ahead of time, I only have 20 of them right now but can get more.

My wife can re-terminate these cables... put the pressure on you guy's yet  :icon_twisted:

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2011, 04:09 am »

While I'm typing this, I was wondering if there was a consensus on power cables for the Virtue amps?  Virtue/Jason doesn't make one, which suggests to me they don't really buy into the concept of power cables affecting sound quality.  For my tube amp, for example, there is a LOT of debate on this subject.  Is the power cable a non-issue for the external switching PSU?

I do offer 16awg DC power cables for our amps (with either the Bullet plug for the One & Two or the din plug for the Sensation), I also build AC power cables (see pictures)

Xcalibur

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2011, 11:29 pm »
Jason you are an awesome guy!  I definitely wasn't expecting an illustrated guide when I asked that question.  Thank you so much.

Then again, I forget which forum I'm on........ gotta expect the unexpected.  :)

Xcalibur

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2011, 02:52 am »
Jason, I'm having trouble with the screws on these banana plugs stripping and thus am unable to tighten them down.  Does this ever happen to you?  I'm not even wrenching om them, the first screw I tightened gave way right off the bat.

90 minutes and sore fingers later I am 1/8 done.  I am really, really not cut out for this.....  >_<

I do have a soldering iron on the way for an unrelated project.  Could a person melt a little solder into these plugs in order to secure them better, or would that be wasted effort against the gold plated finish inside the plug?

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2011, 03:37 am »
I have not run into that problem yet, are you using the banana plugs from Madisound ?

I've only used them 4-5 times but have had good luck do far.
the only other banana plugs I really like are the Eichmann bullet plugs due to their low mass, most other cool looking big high mass plugs that look all manly usually don't help the sound and some signal ends up getting lost in the mass. find smaller good quality low mass plugs and you'll be happy forever :) unless of coarse you strip the srcews out !  :duh:

Xcalibur

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2011, 06:13 am »
Yes, they are the Madisound ones.  I ran into two problems:  first was the stripped screw, which it turns out only happened once.  The other is, I cannot get the screws tight enough to hold securely.  What happens is they go all the way through the threads and fall through the other side, ending up loose and permanently stuck that way.  I've tried to twist the wire together in a way that will make it thicker, but it still happens.  The screw that is closer to the plug tip is particularly useless, it doesn't even resist usually before falling into the hole.  The back screw will tighten, but not enough to keep the wire from pulling out.

I feel a little stupid because I know this shouldn't be so hard.  Sorry to be a pain.  My idea is to melt some solder into the upper screw hole to permanently attach the plugs to the wire.  Do you think this will work, or will the solder not "hold" to the gold plated plug?

Failing that I may just use them bare wire with no terminations, but after going to the trouble to get the plugs it would be great if I could make them work.  Thanks again for taking the time to help Jason.