Virtue ONE.2 input cap upgrade suggestions wanted.

mcgarick

Greetings!

I have a ONE.2 and I'm interested in changing the input caps to something better than stock.

Does anyone here have experience with this?

What did you notice about the sound change?

If it's a really small difference, maybe I would just keep the Virtucaps in there.
But, on the other hand,if it is a marked improvement, I would like to get the gains.

I know there's not much space in there and I 'm not sure I'm really comfortable changing them myself.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2010, 11:05 pm by mcgarick »

PSB Guy

Re: Virtue ONE.2 input cap upgrade suggestions wanted.
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2010, 06:00 pm »
As for the sound differences between the caps, there's a lot of things that will come into play with that, like your hearing ability, speakers, room, etc... For help or advice, I would personally send a PM to Jason T (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=52302), he could offer advice and/or do the upgrade for you if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

Cornelis

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2010, 06:22 pm »
+1 on contacting Jason, he'll be able to help you out. I have both Virtu and Auricaps in my two.2 and like the sound of the Auricaps myself. It all depends I think in what way you want to change the sound? Do you want more warmth? Low end? etc.

mcgarick

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2010, 08:34 pm »
I'm just looking for whatever transparency gains I can get.

The amp sounds good now...but you know, were always looking to open up the sound cleaner.

Anyone know of a good and cheap AC treatment??

Would using a UPS battery backup improve the quality of the AC?

Thanks for chiming in too.

dba

• demand better audio
    • Demand Better Audio
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2010, 08:45 pm »
Always good to evolve, just don't forget the qualities of the path you've been on, make good notes.
Prior to lifting the lid on the ONE.2 try a very cheap clarity and spatial improvement, make/buy a battery power supply :wink: ...also the least risk mod to do :D

:thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2010, 08:55 pm »
Battery power, I forgot about that option. Good idea!!

mcgarick

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2010, 09:40 pm »
I thought about a battery supply......Do the 24 Battery volts give good drive to the amp like the 30V/130watt supply?
I want as much headroom as I can get.

PSB Guy

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2010, 10:25 pm »
Either batteries or the JT Dynamic linear supply will give the Virtue amps all the current they need (10 amps or more) to show their true personality. Many people have said that batteries give you a "blacker" background, due to the total absence of line noise. Personally, I have the JT Dynamic PS, and it rocks with no noise at all in my case. YMMV of course.

Cornelis

dvenardos

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2010, 01:10 am »
Without knowing the specifics of your system, my experience is that the caps make a noticeable sound difference. I have heard both the classic One and M451 with virtue caps and I much prefer the sound of the Auricaps in my classic two and the sonicaps in my two.2. IMO the Auricaps are warmer and the sonicaps are nuetral, both sound great.

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:24 pm »
Greetings!

I have a ONE.2 and I'm interested in changing the input caps to something better than stock.

Does anyone hear have experience with this?

What did you notice about the sound change?

If it's a really small difference, maybe I would just keep the Virtucaps in there.
But, on the other hand,if it is a marked improvement, I would like to get the gains.

I know there's not much space in there and I 'm not sure I'm really comfortable changing them myself.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

If you don't want to change the caps yourself you can always send the amp to me and I'll do it for you.
I also have auricaps and sonicaps in stock.

mcgarick

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:50 pm »
Thanks Jason, what would the cost be for this?

What state are you located in?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:51 pm »

AZ

se-riously

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:06 pm »
I built my own battery supply.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87899.0

But if you don't have soldering or crimping skills, then just buy the battery kit with/without the batteries here:

http://store.virtueaudio.com/DIY-24v-Battery-Kit-sold-by-GR-Research-p/dodd-5ah-28vbatkit-nobat-2.htm

and you can get the batteries from Amazon, etc.  If you have the room to accommodate larger size batteries, I'd recommend getting batteries with at least 7.0 Ah of capacity, since I do notice a slight improvement in sound when listening without the charger connected.  The larger capacity means that you can run without the charger connected for a longer period of time.

Regarding input caps, I replaced the Virtucaps in my Sensation M451 with Sonicaps and Sonicap Platinum bypasses.  As far as "marked improvement", the Sensation no longer comes with Virtucaps and comes with Sonicaps standard.  Enough said.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2010, 08:09 pm by se-riously »

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:17 pm »
Thanks Jason, what would the cost be for this?

Shoot me an email and we'll discuss
cables@virtueaudio.com

mcgarick

« Reply #14 on: 26 Dec 2010, 06:31 pm »
Jason T did the input capacitor change on my one.2,   and boy did the caps make a difference. He used Sonicaps.

This is just perfect now, very clear and open detailed sound. :icon_lol:

The bass took a huge step forward, which took me by surprise! :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

It also seems more powerful for some reason,not sure why,but it does. The unit drives my speakers a lot easier, I did not expect that at all. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

This is my perfect tripath muscle amp now. Just what I was looking for....

Thanks again Jason! :thumb:

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #15 on: 26 Dec 2010, 09:54 pm »
Jason T did the input capacitor change on my one.2,   and boy did the caps make a difference. He used Sonicaps.

This is just perfect now, very clear and open detailed sound. :icon_lol:

The bass took a huge step forward, which took me by surprise! :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

It also seems more powerful for some reason,not sure why,but it does. The unit drives my speakers a lot easier, I did not expect that at all. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

This is my perfect tripath muscle amp now. Just what I was looking for....

Thanks again Jason! :thumb:

We decided to go with the Sonicap 3.3uf caps in his amp with the platinum bypass and were forced to do the sonicap .1 highpass caps due to the lack of room in the amp and the sonicap .01cap is smaller than the virtue .01 cap is.

heres a pic for you guys. (sorry its crappy I took it with my phone)

« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 02:01 am by Jason T »

goorackerelite

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2011, 12:18 am »
The virtue caps that comes standard in the virtue t-amps are vastly underrated!

Out of curiosity I tried the Sonicaps, after a long and arduous burn in process, I found the Sonicaps to be a little bit too analytical for my liking. the sonicaps definitely had better and tighter bass control, and more extended highs that let the microdetails shine through, but I felt the virtue caps had more of a musical warmth to them, especially in the midrange.       

While the Virtuecaps don't have the best extensions on the top and bottom like the sonicaps, I love the buttery and fleshed out midrange presentation that the virtue caps give.  Y.M.M.V. it was a good experiment though, and I thank Jason T. for guiding me through all the steps, he is the man!!!!!

dvenardos

« Reply #17 on: 12 Feb 2011, 04:00 am »
If you like the virtue caps over the sonicaps then I would highly recommend auricaps. They are warmer than the sonicaps and trounce the virtuecaps in every way.

goorackerelite

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2011, 07:50 pm »
thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually 100 percent satisfied with the virtue 1.2 in it's stock configuration with batteries. I'm sure out there somewhere is a better cap upgrade, but I'm very certain that Seth and Rodger designed this amp to be a no compromise, musical amp. As I was telling Seth, he should change his company slogan to "we make audiophiles music lovers." haha
but on the other hand, I have some burned-in sonicaps with insulated leads for sale. Message me if anyone's interested.

mcgarick

« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:34 am »
With my system in my room, the Sonicaps,  beat easily, the Virtucaps.

The tranparency is of a very high caliber.

Your source and speakers and cables must be dang good to appreciate them. They will show you your flaws up and down stream.
People claim they are cold or sterile, but they are not on my system, the sound is just plain open. Not warm, not cold....

I believe, people might very well be hearing what their CD player or DAC is really like. The Sonicaps sound like nothing...........YMMV