Usher S-520 listening impressions

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Usher S-520 listening impressions
« on: 9 Aug 2010, 12:33 am »
Guys,

Jason has been running Usher S-520s at home and Stan Tracht who distributes Usher in the USA has been a friend (and Virtue fan) for a long time.

After nearly a year of discussion he agreed to let us carry the S-520 on our site.

http://store.virtueaudio.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USHER%2DS520%2D1

This is one killer speaker for $400.... going up to $499 in around 3 weeks.  So CHECK-IT-OUT!

If you own S-520s or have heard them, with Virtue amps or otherwise, please post your listening impressions here!

Good surfing.

Seth
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2010, 04:34 am by virtue »

Cheerwino

Re: Usher S-520 listening impressions
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2010, 12:49 am »
Oh yeah, these were awesome in the Virtue room at RMAF!!!

Jason T

• Industry Participant
  • Enjoying the music
    • custom cables
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2010, 03:20 am »
My wife Cami (Moma Virtue) is now using the 520's in her office and she loves them.  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2010, 03:25 am »
Truly amazing speaker for the money.....really !!! :thumb:

dboulet

« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2010, 12:14 am »
I have a pair of yellow s520s ($400), and some B&W CM1s ($1100). The CM1s are currently sitting on the floor, collecting dust  :wink:.

PMAT

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2010, 03:10 am »
I walked into a local HI-FI store a couple of years ago and there were about 10 pair of small to large bookshelf speakers set up with a switching box. I was listening to the music and was drawn in by the very sweet sound to sit and listen. No one was around so I used the remote to switch speakers. Each were different and the magic was gone. I chose all the larger speakers to get back to the great sound. I finally picked the little Ushers and badda-boom there it was. They just sounded great and they don't sound small in any way. Like the wolf said, "truly amazing speakers for the money"

dboulet

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2011, 06:49 am »
John Darko over at Digital Audio Review just posted a new review of the S-520, in which he tries pairing it with a Sensation M901:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/speaker-reviews/item/187-usher-s-520-standmount-loudspeaker

Ultimately, he concludes that this does not prove to be an ideal match—and after spending about 6 months with this exact combo, I would tend to agree with him. The Ushers are a great speaker, but when paired with the Sensation they are lacking in dynamics and weight. I'm going to be looking for something more efficient to pair with the Virtue (Zu?  :)), but I'm definitely not getting rid of the Ushers.

droht

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2011, 01:08 am »
I had the Virtue One paired with S520s for quite a while.  Best combo I tried in a small-ish space (and I tried many), and by far the most amazing total value.  Absolutely miss them both when I think about just kicking back and listening to some tunes.

Should be a great pairing for you Seth.

EL84

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2011, 11:50 pm »
I can't say how they sound with Virtue amps but I have a friend who owns a pair of S-520s and they sound really good to me. The gloss piano black finish is superb. :thumb:

johnnydarko

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2011, 11:05 am »
John Darko over at Digital Audio Review just posted a new review of the S-520, in which he tries pairing it with a Sensation M901:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/speaker-reviews/item/187-usher-s-520-standmount-loudspeaker

Ultimately, he concludes that this does not prove to be an ideal match—and after spending about 6 months with this exact combo, I would tend to agree with him. The Ushers are a great speaker, but when paired with the Sensation they are lacking in dynamics and weight. I'm going to be looking for something more efficient to pair with the Virtue (Zu?  :)), but I'm definitely not getting rid of the Ushers.

Yup - those Ushers sure are amazing little suckers, but they need a fair amount of juice to keep the bottom end in line.  I should imagine the JT PSU would give the Sensation enough grunt?

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2011, 03:10 pm »
It's my impression that the power supplies matter a little, not a lot, with low-end grunt.  When you put Sensation next to ICEBlock, you really hear the umph... but that's a 500% increase in wattage, a huge difference.  I think that conventional wisdom that some speakers need tons of juice to flesh out the bottom end, or a powerd sub, holds with the Ushers (like the Ascend Sierras).  Duke's AudioKinesis large, high-sensitivity speakers will truly grunt, grunt, grunt with our amps but I've not heard similar low-end rumble on small, low-sensitivity speakers like the ushers.  There are trade-offs in efficiency as the box shrinks.