New Joiner!🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

Tightliner12

New Joiner!🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧
« on: 12 Jun 2019, 06:17 pm »
Hi to ALL at AudioCircle,
  I'm Steve from the United Kingdom. Thank you for letting me join your community.
I have been interested in music playback since childhood, I grew up with older siblings who were into
Bands such as Atomic Rooster, Jimi Hendrix, Groundhogs and other various rock/blues groups. The music
was played on a wind up gramophone player, usually out in the back garden by my older siblings on days that
were warm and sunny, generally a party atmosphere. I'm talking about 1965/66 as a 5 or 6 year old.
  Up until 25 yrs ago I actually never had hifi, only Walkman or transistor radio. When I stopped travelling around various parts of the world through work I bought my first setup, some of which I still have and play to this day 25 yrs later.
  I'm not a box swapper, I tend to buy kit 2nd hand kit  and generally keep hold of it for a long time, luckily
 for me I have been very satisfied with my audio purchases. Although I am English and reside in England I
 have various North American/Canadian manufactured pieces of equipment. My setup comprises of the
 following :-

Paradigm Floorstanders 7 SE MK 3
              Nola Boxer MK 1
              Cyrus CD XT Signature CD Transport
               Arcam Alpha 8 ( used for preamp duties)
              Cyrus 82 DAC Qx Integrated amp
               2 X Monarch Audio SM 70 MK 1 Power Amps in Bridged Mono configuration
               All the cabling is UK stuff apart from the MIT Shotgun 75 Ohm Digital cable for CD Transport.
                Marantz CD 63 MK 2 Ki Edition CD Player
                All my speakers are mounted on American White Oak which I scourced and made myself.

Thank you for letting me join the AudioCircle community.

Blackmore

Re: New Joiner!🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2019, 08:17 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2019, 08:26 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Michael

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2019, 09:15 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Steve   :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2019, 09:21 pm »
Welcome to AC!  Nice gear you have there.

Larry

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2019, 10:25 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2019, 09:04 am »
Welcome Steve :thumb:
Your enclosures are real wood?

Tightliner12

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2019, 10:07 am »
Hello,
   Thank you all for the warm welcome. No I,m just mentioning the actual stands the speakers are mounted on.
   The Paradigms are floors standees but they sound way way better when they are 8 or 9 inches off the floor.
 The Nola Boxers are on stands I made, they are about 30 inches from the floor. I feel I am only appreciating the Paradigms for what they are capable of, having recently changed from an integrated system to the Pre/ power combo along with a set of Black Rhodium Cryo treated jumpers (subjective I know).

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2019, 02:20 pm »
The Paradigms are floors standees but they sound way way better when they are 8 or 9 inches off the floor.
In this case the tweeters are at the level of your ears?

Tightliner12

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2019, 07:29 pm »
Hello!, well, you are right that it would be the optimum height, having the tweeter level with my ears. With the
 8 inch high speaker stands they are exactly that when sat down in my usual listening position.🇬🇧🇺🇸🇨🇦

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2019, 01:48 pm »
Hello!, well, you are right that it would be the optimum height, having the tweeter level with my ears. With the
 8 inch high speaker stands they are exactly that when sat down in my usual listening position.🇬🇧🇺🇸🇨🇦
Do you came to listen the Rotel RCD-991?
Any impressions?

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2019, 03:10 pm »
I have an Atomic Rooster continuous play track in my rotation, downloaded many moons ago.

Also have Atomic Rooster anthology collection which I play two songs from regularly. Mainly because the continuous play version track is a waay better collection. 8)

ssglx

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2019, 06:26 pm »
Hi Tightliner,

Those Monarchy amps are real gems. I have a pair of Pro's. Extremely clean, punchy and transparent.
If you want to have some fun, and your speakers can be bi-wired, run the amps in stereo mode and vertically biamped. One channel of each amp running a single driver. I prefer running my amps this way by a substantial margin over bridged.

Chris

Tightliner12

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2019, 10:37 pm »
Hello Chris!,
  Thank you for the warm welcome to the Circle. Yes, I will try the bi wiring tip you gave me. Actually I have the SM 70 Pro also, over here the guys in the know say the SM 70 is more lucid, it may be but I have absolutely no complaints with either of the Pro's, I'v had them for less than a year and I am about to hook them up to an Audio GD R28 pre/dac as my Cyrus 82Dac Qx has been overheating, so has been returned under warranty to be repaired.

Tightliner12

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2019, 10:46 pm »
Hello Mag!,
  Yes, I was told Atomic Rooster were VERY loud when performing live, Vincent Crane was very talented but
  is no longer with us sadly. Surprisingly the lead guitarist plays once a year in the local pub just down the
   road from me, his name eludes me, but it's invited guests only when he plays.

Tightliner12

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2019, 10:49 pm »
Hello Full'v
   I have had no experience of Rotel kit unfortunately, it's popular gear over here in the UK though.

johnto

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2019, 11:43 am »
Welcome. Great to hear you're having fun experimenting with speaker height. Wow I'm still playing that same music today. Great music never dies.

Tightliner12

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2019, 05:09 pm »
Hi Johnto!,
   Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, good music remains good music forever and is timeless, great to
  hear you are still playing and enjoying your old favourites!!👍👍👍.