Updated Criterion.

Danny Richie

Updated Criterion.
« on: 3 Jul 2004, 06:00 pm »
The Criterion model has just been revised using the new G2si tweeter instead of the original G-2.

The new tweeter is a less expensive version that Aurum Cantus has come out with.

http://www.haihuang-audio.com/english/index.htm

The new tweeter is 10mm shorter and improves vertical off axis response slightly.

It sounds exactly the same.

The real difference is the price. $200. a pair cheaper than the G-2.

This knocks the kit price down to $649.

See new info and posted measurements:

http://www.gr-research.com/lucidity/criterion.htm

vfrpilot

Updated Criterion.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2004, 05:44 pm »
It looks as though the new tweeter has a more rising top end. I thought that I remembered seeing a more flat response from the tweet in the old chart (can't find it though).

Danny Richie

Updated Criterion.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2004, 05:54 pm »
This particular one was voiced about 1/2 of a db or more hotter up there.

Most tend to like that a little.

If not a slight resistor change can pull it down to any level.

Good eye, and memory.

vfrpilot

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jul 2004, 06:10 pm »
Thanks Danny,

I have been looking around for reviews of these speakers to get a sense of what upgrading from the P1 to the speaker might be like.

$200 less is definitely an incentive. I am surprised more folks have not sent out a resounding yahoo!

Maybe everyone is saving cash for an LS?  Since my room is 9 x 11 ... I don't have such freedoms.

Later,

Danny Richie

Updated Criterion.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Jul 2004, 06:14 pm »
I just sold a demo pair of Criterion's with the standard G-2 tweeter to a guy that owns a pair of P-1's.

Why don't you ask him?

I'll get you his e-mail.

Danny Richie

Another idea
« Reply #5 on: 7 Jul 2004, 07:32 pm »
I'll tell you what else I'll do...

I will send you a pair of them to you for you to try for yourself.

Just cover the shipping and I'll send a them out.

If you decide to keep them then I'll charge your card for the price of the speakers.

If you decide not to keep them then just send them back.

I have a pair in Maple with the G-2 tweeters that I will let go for $1,200. and a pair in Cherry (pictured on our web site) with the G2si tweeters that I will let go for $1,000.

macmeech

The G in GR
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2004, 04:05 am »
Your former partner with whom I have struck up a friendship, tells me that the Criterion Lucidity is the
cat's meow. I can't pull the trigger at the moment, but I am going to buy a pair. Do I want the old G2 or the G2si to go with my Jolida 102B in a small home office?

Danny Richie

Updated Criterion.
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2004, 04:13 am »
Do I want the old G2 or the G2si to go with my Jolida 102B in a small home office?

They sound exactly the same.

The G-2 is supposed to handle more power but I don't see this type of speaker as one someone will be playing real hard.

The G-2si is considerably cheaper and I think it is a better value.

BikeWNC

Updated Criterion.
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2004, 12:47 am »
vfrpilot,

I have demo'ed the original Criterion's in my room, 16x14, and loved them, especially with tubes.  I bought the Diluceos because they gave me slightly more punch and I like to position the speakers at least 5 ft from the front wall.  They image great and are just made for a small room like yours (the Criterions).  I found they like a bit narrower placement than I was used to, perhaps 4.5-5 ft apart in your room would work well.  It keeps them off the side wall and they really open up that way.  And don't be fooled by the single mid-woofer.  They will put out tight accurate bass, depending on where they are located, down to as low as 45 hz.  I use a sub to fill in the very low end on the Diluceos.

Andy

macmeech

Ribbon Maintenance
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2004, 02:07 am »
How often do these ribbons need to be replaced after
being blown? Is this common? A friend told me that replacing them is a pain in the butt. Is this true?

BikeWNC

Updated Criterion.
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2004, 02:35 am »
I last blew a tweeter way back in high school so I can't say.  It was the classic clipping of an underpowered amp that did it in.  I've had my Diluceos playing at 100 db in my room without any issue.  But I am driving them with around 200 wpc so I need to watch who turns the volume pot.  I'm sure that I could overdrive them if not careful.  So far that hasn't been a problem as I'm the only one that turns the volume up.  My wife usually turns it down.

Andy

Danny Richie

Updated Criterion.
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2004, 02:41 am »
From normal play they last a long time, and handle good power.

They are fragile though.

Walk up to one of them and blow on it hard and you will stretch the ribbon out.

Replacement ribbons are not very expensive. $8.00 to $12.00.

They are easy to change but a pain in the butt to change as well.

Val

Re: Thanks
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2004, 03:54 pm »
Quote from: vfrpilot
Thanks Danny,

I have been looking around for reviews of these speakers to get a sense of what upgrading from the P1 to the speaker might be like.

This is quoted verbatim (I hope) from a review in Audio Asylum, about a year back:

GR Research Criterion by AA’s Cut-Throat

"You are not going to have to wade through this review to find out what I think about them. I reviewed the Paradox 1 and loved it and thought it was the best speaker buy in 30 years of Audio. The Criterion simply blows away the Paradox 1! I will state at this time, that the Criterion is the best-sounding monitor that I have heard that is commercially available today —at any price! I have not heard all monitors, but I’ve heard a bunch. I’ve owned or had in my home some of my favorites —Silverline SR-17s, Sonus Faber Signums, Dynaudio 1.3SEs— And I like the Criterions better than all of these. I listen mostly to contemporary Jazz, but tried these with rock, classical also. All of it sounded wonderful! The cabinetry on the ones that I demoed were superb! Bottom line is that if you looking for a stand-mount speaker at any price range, get a pair of these just to demo the other ones against. And If you hear another monitor that you like better, send me an e-mail. I’d like to audition it! The ribbon tweeter is one of the smoothest tweeters that I have ever heard and the midrange is glorious."

Val