Ideal setup for Alpha Ls.

Maggie Guy

« on: 18 Jun 2004, 03:09 pm »
Just curious to hear from Danny as to the ideal setup for the Alpha LS speakers. I realize that the room has alot to do with the positioning of the speakers. But lets say that you could have any size room that you wanted.
How would you position the speakers relative to the listening position?
Also tweeters inside or outside?
Thanks,

Danny Richie

Room size
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2004, 07:31 pm »
I feel that they can optimally be set up in various sized rooms.

Smaller rooms will require more room treatment as it is easier for them to load a smaller sized room.

I have heard them sound very good in a 12' by 13' room, but it did take some effort in optimizing the room.

If I had my choice though I would want them in a room at least 17' by 23' with 9' ceilings.

That is what I have here and it is great.

A larger room would be great too.

I like to set them up so that the distance the speakers are apart is about 2/3 the distance from the speakers to the seating position.

Tweeters go to the outside.

Maggie Guy

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2004, 08:30 pm »
Thanks Danny!

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2004, 09:31 pm »
Quote from: Maggie Guy
Thanks Danny!
Former owner of MG20's, now Alpha LS owner.

I want to be a former owner of MG20's and get some new Alpha LS'!

*throwing tantrum, jumping up & down and shaking fists* :wink:

Danny Richie

Alpha's
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2004, 09:37 pm »
I would really love to send a pair to Utah.  :wink:

Al Garay

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2004, 07:40 pm »
Hi Danny,

Does anyone have a pair up here in Seattle?

I'm surprised I did not see Sonicaps on the crossover...  :nono:  Perhaps there is for the tweeters.

Al

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2004, 08:01 pm »
Hi Al,

There is a guy that has a pair in that area, but he was also in the process of moving and I don't know where he is now.

He has posted info and pics of his here in our forum.

If you search through the recent Alpha LS threads then you'll find him.

Yes the network does use Sonicaps in the tweeter circuit (two of them).

The woofer circuit uses one cap and it is rather large in value (bigger than the largest made Sonicap). It is an Axon cap that is by-passed with a .1uF film and foil.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
Re: Alpha's
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2004, 08:49 pm »
One day Danny was sorting through some old stuff he found at an Audiophile swapmeet and came upon this dusty old UV-886  Radiotron tube.  He picked it up and rubbed some of the dust off so he could get a better look at the filaments...and POOF! out pops a genie who says to Danny:

"I will grant you one wish"

Danny: "I would really love to send a pair of Alphas to Utah."  

Genie: "It is done...Just put this label on the box and tell the guys at FedEx to bill it COD:
TO:
Ryan Tew
665N 600W #9
Provo, UT 84601...."

:wink:

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2004, 08:59 pm »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Ahhhh, that's great.

If you can just get that genie to shoot the funds for them into my account I think we can call it a done deal.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Will a Rosewood set be alright?

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2004, 10:06 pm »
Actually the ebony...

Sadly I don't make enough money (yet) to afford a finished set of Alpha's...I will get the kit though...when and if I can convince my wife we need speakers as tall as me to really enjoy music to it's fullest.  

&

That we don't need to renovate our 80 year old bathroom and kitchen.

:roll:

wshuff

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2004, 03:08 am »
In Kentucky an 80 year old bathroom is out in the backyard.  If things are the same in Utah...well, how much could it cost to upgrade an outhouse?  Go for the speakers.  You'll use them more.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2004, 02:52 am »
We seem to have lucked out on this home with an indoor bathroom...it even has running water and a shower (in fact it's an extra large shower to fit in the extra wives).  :wink:

wshuff

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2004, 03:13 am »
:lol:  :lol:

GaryW

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2004, 01:38 pm »
Al, Danny,

I'm the guy who was up in the Seattle area, actually south of Tacoma in University Place. We've relocated to the southern Mojave desert.  You can see the old setup under my post below. I'm incredibly thrilled with how they turned out.

The new room is about 9' by 20'. They are along the 9' wall about a foot and a half out. I'd be really interested in room treatment suggestions. They actually sound quite good still, the imaging is surprisingly intact, but the soundstage suffers a bit.

Gary

Maggie Guy

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2004, 03:30 pm »
I did some measurements last night and the speakers are 8 ft apart and around 2 ft off of the back wall. My listening position is around 12 ft from each speaker. They are toed in so that when seated I can see about 2 inches on the inside edge of each speaker. The room is pretty big, but it is a temporary setup so I'm not going into too much detail on the room.

Snegrah

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2004, 07:55 pm »
MY room is 16 x 27 x 16 (8' to 16'peak to 8').  My speakers are 36" from the front wall with a Samsung DLP (?) TV in the middle + video/audio racks.  The speaks are on the short wall and approx. 10' apart.   My sitting position is approx. 12' away. They are toed in so you see approx. 3" of the inner cab.  Tweets are on the outside.   :thumb:

mnapuran

« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2004, 04:19 am »
Danny,

Any thoughts of making another version of this speaker... perhaps a little smaller for those of us with smaller rooms, etc?  Is it just not possible? Or is it in the work queue?  :D

Danny Richie

Smaller
« Reply #17 on: 5 Jul 2004, 04:51 pm »
Any thoughts of making another version of this speaker... perhaps a little smaller for those of us with smaller rooms, etc? Is it just not possible? Or is it in the work queue?

It is in the works.

I am waiting for BG to finish designing a new version of the Neo 8 for me that is 8 ohms.

This will allow a shorter version using 6 of them and a taller version using 9 of them.

A new woofer is in the works too.

All this may not be released until later in Nov. or Dec.

mnapuran

Re: Smaller
« Reply #18 on: 5 Jul 2004, 05:23 pm »
Damn.... and I'm ready to build soon   :)

While I've got you.... any chance you'll be selling the PHL/Revelator/Focal Project kit on your site?  :wink:

Oh... another question.  I noticed you have a 6.5" now.... any plans to make newer version of the AV-3, etc utilizing this driver for lower roll-off, etc?

Danny Richie

New projects
« Reply #19 on: 5 Jul 2004, 05:32 pm »
I wish it were sooner as well. BG's development time is hold up.

The PHL/Revelator/Focal Project was given to Speaker City. They are the only ones that are distributors for all of those lines.

All can be purchased through them except for the Focal woofers. Focal discontinued that model (typical of them for anything really good that they have).

There is a Vifa woofer that will work just as well in that air space though and just needs for the port to be slightly longer.