Alphas in San Francisco Bay Area?

azryan

« Reply #20 on: 1 Jun 2004, 09:19 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm really sorry for bringing what's become an argument from elsewhere to here.

Tension ran HIGH and this thread ran together in my mind with the other one as I had just got done reading and posting there.
That's my mistake 100%.

I thought they were directly related, but I shoulda just taken this thread as a "100% totally NEW thread".

I didn't. I screwed up.  

There seems to be a lot of 'political rules' and I'm not trying to break any rules at all, but it seems I might be or at least coming close to it.

I swear I didn't mean to for whatever that's worth.

I'm TOTALLY open to people explaining to me what I'm doing wrong if I am so please be cool with me, but feel free to criticize me. I can take it.

It's much better IMO that screwing up and being wrong.

The idea of two audiophiles getting together and listening to speakers is a cool thing to me.  I was not at all trying to stop such a thing from happening or anything like that (not that I have such powers of course).

Hope this helps at least somewhat?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jun 2004, 09:37 pm »
azryan, I would simply suggest trying to be a little less defensive when people take a shot at the Alpha's.  The fact that people feel like they have to take pot-shots is a "good" thing, it means the speaker probably represents a genuine challenge to whatever product they are selling.  IMO, there are certain things that a true line source does that other types of speakers just can't.  I haven't heard the Alpha's, but I have heard the Excelarray's and I can say that they were fully the equal of my RM40's.  Less low bass, but more mid bass.  Transparency was about the same on both speakers, and macro/micro dynamics were actually better on the Excelarray's.  I realize the Excelarray's are not the Alpha's, but being line sources they will both tend to have a lot of strenghts in the transparency and dynamics areas, and bass should be even more controled since the wave form is launched from several different physical locations simultaneously.  If someone feels they have to bag on the possible roll off of the tweeter, ITS BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO BAG ON, and that my friend is a big compliment.  So relax, don't take the attacks personally, and realize that you don't have to "prove" that you have great speakers, those of us that have been around a bit already know it.

Danny Richie

Speakers
« Reply #22 on: 1 Jun 2004, 10:26 pm »
The reasons why I chose VMPS were:

1. I got a killer deal on the used RM40's (if I had received the same deal on the Alpha's, I'd probably be an Alpha owner now)
2. No GR center channel at that time to match the Alphas' - Ryans creation looks great, I hope that goes into production
3. No side or surrounds to match the Alpha's.

That's really great feedback.

I would have to say that the Alpha LS was simply the first (thus the name) line source kit for us to offer.

In fact it may have been the first true line source kit offered by anyone.

Quite certainly there will be more to follow.

New things are in the works including proprietary planar's.  :mrgreen:

I think a new line of line source kits of various sizes that include a center channel and rear surrounds, plus maybe even some in-wall versions will all be available in due time.

Just don't ask when just yet, because I am not ready to answer.

Are there now sides or surrounds?

Yep, all of that.

How did Ryan's center turn out in your opinion?

I believe he should be getting it tomorrow and then he will have to assemble it.

I'll leave the "how it turned out" up to him.

WOW! I just got back in after my last post yesterday! What the hell is going on?

Sorry about that Tom. Looks like a little blow over from a thread elsewhere. Hopefully they all have it out of their system now or can pick it back up where ever it came from (not here).

The Orions and the Aphas both were better, in my opinion and in my room, than the FF1's. The Aplhas are the best, in my room, I've heard so far. They are also the simplest speaker. One amp and one set speaker terminals.

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

NOTE to Danny: I've got the #39 resistor in and I think it may stay. Should I wait longer or order up this one?

That is up to you.

Just find what is best for you in your room.

Again if you need more of the very bottom end to be picked up then there is a way to do that too, with that same circuit.

So, if Jim will bring the Starbucks NON-FAT latte and banana nut muffin with the RM30s, he's welcome.

I hope you guys have a blast.

I wish I could be there too. I would like to hear the Orion's.

I have a similar dipole design brewing in my A/V series.  :D

Ryan, as per your last post: Thanks, that tone sounds a little better.

Tyson, Thanks for your comments too. What a nice way of looking at things.  :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #23 on: 1 Jun 2004, 10:55 pm »
Not to pile on, but the lack of a matching center & surrounds is the one thing that makes it a little hard for me to consider the Alpha's when I upgrade my system.  I do have a MC system & a separate 2 ch, but the Alpha's are WAY too much speaker for the 2 CH room.  My main rig will be the MC one for the foreseeable future, and I just have to have five closely voiced speakers for MC music & for movies.

I also have no idea how I could implement a true LS center in my room, even if there was one.  :scratch:

I'm intrigued enough with the design, and the excellent word of mouth, to follow the saga thru until hopefully there's a MC solution.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 1 Jun 2004, 11:06 pm »
Rob, get an overhead projector and 5 Alphas!!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 1 Jun 2004, 11:10 pm »
Well, I have an FPTV...the problem is the screen.  I know there's a woven screen that's *supposed* to be acoustically transparent; if it really works then that would be a solution.  But even then I'd probably have to put the center Alpha a bit nearer the wall than would be ideal.

Believe me, that is an interesting option.  Assuming buying in kit form it really wouldn't even be that expensive (although I'm sure building 5 Alpha's at once would be a huge project!  :o   Especially for someone as lazy as me!  :lol: ).

Enrico

Re: Speakers
« Reply #26 on: 2 Jun 2004, 12:36 am »
Quote from: Danny
New things are in the works including proprietary planar's.  

I won't ask you when since you said not to; but I will ask you 'What', i.e. what will they be like:
-more or less expensive than the Alpha LS?
-comparable in any way to the Epiphanies?
-what will you be using for the tweeter?

I'm still searching intensively for the next upgrade and line sources are very very interesting...but I haven't yet heard one that convinced me it was the one for me.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #27 on: 2 Jun 2004, 12:44 am »
Replies inserted in italics.
Quote from: Double Ugly

If the appearance of being "innocent and fair" is your tactic, you shouldn't make statements like this...

RibbonSpeakers.net wrote:
I can't say how much better the RM30s are if I haven't heard the Alphas..."

Are you saying that the sentence above is invalidated or in any way whatsover inconsistent with me preferring the Alphas after an A-B audition with the RM30s?  I thought not.  So this means you either made an honest mistake or are that you are intentionally reading something that isn't there.  Which one is it?  A published author of a book, who is a pretty good editor, agrees the sentence displays no predisposition one way or the other.    

Nothing like going into an audition with an open mind and no agenda, huh?

Nothing like reading something into a sentence that isn't there

What's wrong with a forum moderator stating his opinions?  

Nothing, and I suspect most everyone here feels the same way. The problem arises (for the company, for resellers and for "Big B") when the manufacturer comes off as petty, defensive, and insecure more often than not. Since I have no vested interest, I usually find it humorous. Occasionally it's a little sad or just plain boring, but I just scroll past the laments and diatribes that aren't entertaining.

With all due respect, sorry, but I noticed quite an inconsistency above: you either counted each & every one of Brian's posts to confirm "more often than not", positively meaning some percent over 50%, or you did not "just scroll past".  Which one is it?  I am noticing a trend in the direction of your errors, but maybe they are all just honest mistakes, I don't know.  

Don't take this the wrong way, but above sounds very much like your investment makes it impossible to have any objective opinion about how they sound.  

Considering the second quote above, I'm surprised you could muster up the cajones to make this statement.

I apologize, I re-read the original post which I responded to (you omitted), & my response was innappropriate.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Double Ugly

« Reply #28 on: 2 Jun 2004, 01:23 am »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
Replies inserted in italics.

As the thread has returned to some semblance of normalcy, I submit we should allow it to remain normal.  

I have little desire to continue this, and see little to be gained.  Your perception and mine of what was said is very different, and I doubt either of us will convince the other that he's wrong.  However, if that's not good enough and you'd like to pursue resolution offline, please let me know via PM.

DU

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 2 Jun 2004, 03:49 am »
DU
Translation of your latest post: I have no defense for my incorrect accusations & incorrect understanding &/or incorrect reading of Jim's post.  Jim is 100% accurate in his analysis.  

You state I am unlikely to admit where you are right & I was wrong.  That is incorrect.  I already admitted it.  That I can admit I was wrong is where you & I differ the most.  

You are consistent with your self-contradictions & denial: you admit defeat, then state you will never be convinced you are incorrect.  

You made your wrong thinking public, & that's the way this stands.  

Don't PM me.

Double Ugly

« Reply #30 on: 2 Jun 2004, 04:23 am »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
DU
Translation of your latest post: I have no defense for my incorrect accusations & incorrect understanding &/or incorrect reading of Jim's post.  Jim is 100% accurate in his analysis.  

You state I am unlikely to admit where you are right & I was wrong.  That is incorrect.  I already admitted it.  That I can admit I was wrong is where you & I differ the most.  

You are consistent with your self-contradictions & denial: you admit defeat, then state you will never be convinced you are incorrect.  

You made your wrong thinking public, & that's the way this stands.  

Don't PM me.

My translation of your latest: I haven't made enough of an ass of myself and I need your help.  I'm actually dense enough to think I've bested you in logic and deductive reasoning, so I'm here to strut around crowing about it like a spoiled child.

That's fine, Jim, I'll be happy to oblige, but NOT in this thread.

You want schooling, take it to Fight Club.  As there's a difference in our time zones, I won't be there tonight so feel free to take the first shot.  

DU

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 2 Jun 2004, 04:33 am »
And, Jim, can't we keep the childishness & bickering in the VMPS Circle where it belongs?   :wink:   Or must the eye-gouging & hair-pulling spilling over into the Selah Audio Circle, too, just for good measure?

Maybe you'll have to come to Marblefest II and settle this "in the ring."  With any luck, Danny, Rick & Brian will all be there.  We'll finally see who has the biggest.......speaker!  :lol:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 2 Jun 2004, 04:26 pm »
Fighting with an opponent holding the premise that he is never wrong is called self-flagellation.  That is typical of you to be so generous in your offer, but no thanks.  The words you typed all prove my points, & thanks for that also.  I humbly & respectully request forgiveness from readers who don't appreciate the level of gravity in my response to DU's incorect accusations.  I already apologized in the one case where he was correct & I was wrong.

coredvs

Want to hear Alpha's
« Reply #33 on: 16 Jul 2004, 08:41 pm »
Hi,

After reading most of the posts on this site and talking to Danny on the phone I am VERY interested in this speaker.  I would appreciate an audition from anyone who is willing to do that.  I live in Grass Valley (about 30miles east of Sacramento) and would be willing to travel to the Bay Area to hear these.

I have a soft commitment to Danny to purchase a kit if I like what I hear so you would also be doing him a favor.

Thanks
-Phil

azryan

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jul 2004, 11:21 pm »
Sounds like you've already talked to Danny. Did he mention anyone in your area with them. I'd figure he'd know where all the Alphas are in the U.S. (unless people moved).

Good luck getting to hear them.  I bet you'll buy the kit right after hearing them if you've got the $ and the space for them are single or have a wife who knows how cool they look (like my wife feels).