Poll: HT Bypass on P8 ? To be or not to be??

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« on: 28 Feb 2006, 09:56 pm »
Hi,
We provided Input 3 as a Home Theater bypass on the P8.  Basically, Input 3 is currently set to 0dB (gain=1), and volume control is disabled.

A lot of recent feedback indicated to us that some customers would prefer the flexibility of using Input 3 as another 'normal input, i.e., with volume control.  

We have 2 options:

Option 1 - Input 3 is a bypass, as currently configured.
Option 2 - All normal inputs, no specific home theater bypass input.  However, pressing 3 keys on the remote will set the currently selected input to 0dB.

So here's the opportunity to help shape P8l, please share your opinion.

GBB

« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2006, 12:08 am »
I vote for option 2.  I find having only 2 normal inputs to be too limited.
Thanks,
---Gary

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2006, 12:39 am »
I would add more inputs to it otherwise #2

CErvin

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2006, 05:25 am »
Option 2 is the way to go.  The extra input is more valuable than the dedicate HT input.  While your at it, can you add a tape loop? :wink:

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2006, 11:00 pm »
i vote for option 2 also, i tried using input 3 as a pass through for my Hitachi HDTV and could not due to hum, i am using the 3.5 RCA input 4 for my DVD player and TV with a stereo adapter, i have to switch them out, i am still getting a slight hum from input 4, inputs 1 and 2 are dead quite for my phono pre and CD player, when the time comes that i plan a week of not being home i am going to send my p 8 in for upgrades, and making input 3 and 4 like 1 and 2 if possible, does that sound like a possibility Jason, mike

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2006, 12:53 am »
OK, thanks for everyone's input.  We hear you loud and clear.   Yes, we should have the new software in a week or two, so we can start providing the upgrade to P8 customers.

beachbum

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2006, 02:00 am »
hello Casey not only is your equipment first class so is your service, so glad i  ran into john to get nuforce gear, mike

brj

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2006, 02:14 am »
Casey, you might want to establish an actual poll that records votes.  (AC has this mechanism in place - look at the bottom of the screen when you start a new post or edit one.)  I suspect that you would receive a larger response.

Personally, I will always desire an HT pass-through on any pre-amp that I purchase.  A true pass-through that does not use the volume control should generally be rather inexpensive, and as such, I'll take the future proofing it provides.

If you do add a poll, I would suggest option 3: Retain the HT passthrough but add additional inputs.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2006, 07:10 am »
Quote from: brj
option 3: Retain the HT passthrough but add additional inputs.

Not that we don't want to have as many inputs as we love to, but we are limited to the width of the P8.  With the P9, it will have a different shape and space is no longer the constraint.

beachbum

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2006, 02:25 am »
hello cassy, whats the word on the p-9, anytime soon, and could you tell us a little about it, will trade in p-8 to p 9 be a option, mike

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2006, 07:50 am »
We are trying to have P9 before Christmas.....

jimmyp58

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2006, 10:22 am »
I would have kept it as is....I have the P-8 in my set up and use the HT bypass often.  Works like a charm and two inputs is more than enough.  I have my cd player and media file server connected.

How many people that 'voted' to change it are really going to buy it anyway?

KJ

« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2006, 08:33 pm »
I'm definitely in the camp that wants the HT bypass.  I think a little more time to create a true survey would be appropriate.  I hope the change in software isn't being based solely off the small quantity of opinions voiced in this thread thus far.  Casey/Jason, have you received other feedback indicating a preference for the non-standard HT bypass?

-KJ

gostan

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2006, 09:26 pm »
Another vote for leaving the HT ByPass in place.  

After all, how many people have a separate HT room and a separate 2 channel room.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #14 on: 4 Mar 2006, 06:34 am »
He he he he... the good news is that we can accommodate both type of customers.  We're changing P-8 and IA-7 to have all inputs volume adjustable as standard feature.  Customer can order input 3 as HT bypass option at no charge. It is software configurable.  If you change your mind later, we can reconfigure for you (for a really small fee).

paul canady

« Reply #15 on: 4 Mar 2006, 06:42 pm »
Jason, you guys are awesome! :D

KJ

« Reply #16 on: 5 Mar 2006, 04:45 am »
Great move Jason.  Glad to hear that both preferences can be satisfied.   :D

beachbum

« Reply #17 on: 8 Mar 2006, 03:42 am »
in a earlier reply in this thread i mentioned hum in inputs 3 and 4, well this weekend i went to the trouble of running two 20 amp dedicated a/c lines for my system, i included a separate ground rod for this lines ground, would you  believe all of the hum is gone, i am now using input 3 for my Hitachi HDTV, and my Denon DVD player gets input 4,and i also went to plugging my ref 9s straight into the wall instead of into my bpt bp 2, all in all it was well worth the effort,

paul canady

« Reply #18 on: 8 Mar 2006, 06:34 am »
beachbum,
I also run dedicated lines and I plug the Nuforce amps directly into them and they are dead quiet. If anyone can run dedicated lines it is highly recommended.  :)

paul canady

« Reply #19 on: 8 Mar 2006, 06:48 am »
jimmyp58,
Can you school me on the ht pass through? I understand that the p8 becomes the two channel pre/amp. Does the volume get controlled by my pre/pro? Also, will I lose bass management with my subs in two channel playback. If this helps I have an Arcam AV-8 pre/pro. I like the option of my subs for some music. :oops: