Thinking about going to the "Dark Side". . .

Hantra

« on: 17 Sep 2003, 03:35 pm »
All:

I'm still thinking about going over to the dark side, and getting an electric.  Nothing extravagant.  Probably a MexiStrat.  I was thinking of getting one of those newer SG specials for $500ish, but I idolize EC so much, and would probably rather have a Strat if I can only have one.

What I want to konw is what type of amplifier should I be looking at?  I want the maximum versatility really, and that's about all I'm concerned with.  I don't need anything big at all.  I just want something I can have the most fun with.  I have been thinking about the Line 6 amps b/c they have many different tones.  I also thought about that Variax guitar they have out, but it could suck.  

So. . Any suggestions?  

If anyone knows where I can get a new EC model Strat for $500, let me know.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

B

lo mein

« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2003, 04:31 pm »
For amp. Try the Vox. CREAMY clean tones, react extremely well to vol/tone controls, playing styles, etc. Even finger-picking style. (I don't use pick. I play with all 5 fingers. Carried over from my piano/keyboards playing. Even with electrics and basses)

EC used the Gibson SC with Cream.

Watch the Deep Purple with London Philharmonic Live (1969) DVD, you'll see Richie Blackmore playing with his Gibson and Vox there.

Bonnie Raitt also uses a Vox and a Fender together.

If you want bright, but warm clean tones. Nothing can touch the Vox. Most Fender amps are junks. (ALL my Fender gears are pre-CBS, and have them for decades, so, I know what I'm talking about.)

Get the tubed AC-15, or, Cambridge 15 if you can find one. It's (Cambridge) has been discontinued. TheCambridge uses a 12AX7 in the pre, with SS power.

Also the Pathfinder series are very nice too.  The very BEST small recording/practice amps. Period.

I bought 3 Pathfinders recently. One for my bedroom, 2 for gifts. And I already own 2 other old Vox already.

I can get Sunshine of Your Love (Cream's version, not later days EC's) with my Paul even with the inexpensive Vox Pathfinder.

If you want more. Use the speaker-out to connect to a Vox 2x12, or a Marshall 4x12, and you'll be really rocking.

It also has line out for recording.

P.S. My guitars: Strats, Teles, fretted and fretless P-Bass, fretted Jazz-Bass,  (All pre-CBS), and a cheap Chinese J clone; a Paul Studio, A handmade acoustic nylon from Spain.

Also bought a Squier Tele (Standard. Made in Indonesia)a few months ago. Originally as a gift for somebody, but ended up keeping it, because I like it so much. I even using it in my first debute CD (in-progress. 100% all original materials) recording, instead of my real vintage Fender!

lo mein

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2003, 08:06 pm »
Hantra,

I'd also suggested you check out the Behringer Bass V-Amp. (Got everything in the guitar V-Amp, plus acoustic guitar, bass and keyboard's modeling stuff. ) I was checking one out in a local shop last weekend. For over 2 hours. Playing through both a keyboard amp, and a PA. I think it'll do well playing with a good home audio system too. I'm extremely impressed. May buy one soon (either the rack modeling unit, or one of their modeling amp.).

I've played the Line-6.  I found the sound very cold. The Vox's  AD60VT 60W Valvetronix Modeling Amp is really excellent. Nailed that old Marshall sound real good. But it's about $700.

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2003, 01:17 am »
So you're saying the Vox little 15 pathfinder is better than say. . The Blues Jr.?

Vox has no amps I can afford except the Pathfinders, and they seem weak against the Blues Jr.  Quite a bit cheaper though. .

B

eico1

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2003, 01:51 am »
I dunno how it will go with a new strat, but here is the real deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2561325814&category=43372

steve

lo mein

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2003, 03:48 am »
Quote from: Hantra
So you're saying the Vox little 15 pathfinder is better than say. . The Blues Jr.?

Vox has no amps I can afford except the Pathfinders, and they seem weak against the Blues Jr.  Quite a bit cheaper though. .

B

The Blues jr reissue sucks! For $300+. Get the Epiphone Galaxie all tubes. Hum a little. But kills the Fender Blues Jr.

You'll be surprised how the Pathfinder sounds with the Strats. IMO. Nothing can come close for about $250 to the little Vox. If you like bright, but warm, creamy clean tones. I also have a Pathfinder 10 and 15R, as well as two other vintage tube Vox.

The Pathfinders are LOUD!

The Vox T-25 Bass amp is also killer for Strat!

Or get the Cambridge 15. If you must have tube. $150 B-stock here:
http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=114445