New to recording myself

poecraft

New to recording myself
« on: 7 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm »
hey all, im not sure if this is the right place to ask but i think so

i am a guitar player and i would like to record myself playing and singing

im happy to use audacity but i am completely lost when it comes to microphones and pre amps

could any of you steer me in the right direction witch what i need to buy to do this

Thank you

Crimson

Re: New to recording myself
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2013, 10:47 pm »
i am a guitar player and i would like to record myself playing and singing

A great way to become a better musician.

Why be tethered to a mic, pre, computer, etc. The current stock of portable digital recorders are fabulous for what you want to do. Tascam and Zoom make great portable digital recorders, although I prefer the Tascam models. Simple to use, easy on batteries, surprisingly good fidelity (can record in both WAV and up to 320 kbps MP3), readily available media (microSD; a 2GB card will record up to 14 hours of stereo content in 320 kbps MP3), cheaper than a decent mic/pre combo, and connect to your computer for playback, editing, etc. Or you can plug one right into a powered speaker system (e.g. computer speakers) for playback. Don't rely on their tiny internal speakers for listening.

Try the Tascam DR-05 to start with. You might just be surprised.

eclein

• Facilitator
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2013, 10:05 am »
Those little Tascams are pretty nice from what I hear from folks!!!
I used to use a Korg D1200 years back and it was an affordable all in one unit, excellent like mentioned above for what you want to do....Zooms, Tascam, they are what I think is exactly a great way to get feet wet and learn it all easier, effects and all included, they even can model amp sounds....you'd be surprised at how much flexibility you get with a small investment.
 I'm with Crimson on his suggestion myself!!! :thumb:

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2013, 12:47 pm »
Hi,

I can recommend the Zoom H4N which I use to record the band I play with.  Also, I have heard that the zoom h1 is pretty good and is quite inexpensive to purchase.

Cheers Rod

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2013, 12:57 pm »
Hi,

I can recommend the Zoom H4N which I use to record the band I play with.  Also, I have heard that the zoom h1 is pretty good and is quite inexpensive to purchase.

Cheers Rod

I have the Zoom H4N as well, great bit of gear. Perfect for ideas, sounds good, flexible, and you can use it as a USB interface with Audacity.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2013, 04:21 pm »
I'll second the Tascam.  I use a DR07 mkII.  As an added bonus, it also makes nice sounding 24/96 vinyl rips.

barnold1

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2013, 05:10 am »
I'll second the Zoom products, the H1 and H2 have treated me quite well for capturing quality performances.

Of course if you wanted to get into using a DAW for production and/or arranging you could purchase a two channel interface and 2 microphones within your budget.  For example I use an apogee duet and shure sm57's for a significant amount of my home demo's.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2013, 01:57 am »
The Zoom H2 can work with two Shure SM57 mic's via the mic input.  I use my H2 with a single SM57 to record my guitar setup.  You will need adaptors to go from XLR's to a 1/8" stereo input.