Has anyone ever installed a shim in a bolt on Fender neck?

jackman

I enjoy tinkering with some of my inexpensive guitars.  Up to now, I've done simple mods like tuner replacement, bridge and pickup replacement and simple setups (adjusting intonation and action) but I've never installed a shim.   I've got a bolt on neck guitar (don't worry, it's a Squier) and want to install a shim to lower the action and increase angle of strings over saddles.  It's a top loader and the bridge saddle screws are sticking out too far and poking my fingers when I play.

It seems pretty straightforward. Has anyone done it?  I've got a new top loader bridge is like to install and may just do both jobs the same day, when I have the strings off.  Will post pictures of my work. 

Cheers

Jack

medium jim

Re: Has anyone ever installed a shim in a bolt on Fender neck?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2012, 03:01 am »
Jack:

It is a rather easy process, but before we begin, have you adjusted the neck to make it straight?  The most common shim is a matchbook cover cut about a half inch wide and placed in the back of the neck pocket (closest to the body) and rebolting the neck.  This will create enough neck angle.

Jim

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2012, 03:28 am »
Thanks Jim.  Yes, the neck is very straight.  I've done some searching and several people say to use a matchbook, business card, guitar pick or a thin piece of veneer.  The neck pocket positioning should give me a bit of neck angle improvement and the process is reversible if it doesn't work out.  I'll try the matchbook method.

Do I cut it in a half inch strip or larger with holes punched for the screws? If it goes well, I'm going to try it on a Danelectro.  The Dano requires me to take the neck off to do truss rod adjustments so I might slip a small shim in this one as well. The Dano needs an adjustment because I'm getting some buzz around the seventh fret.  It just started buzzing recently and I think it needs some relief.

Will post results later this week. Thanks for the advice.

Jack

medium jim

« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2012, 03:51 am »
Fender used shims back in the 60's due to neck pockets that were too deep.  They contoured them to fit the shape of the neck pocket at the body and didn't interfere with the screws.  You can use credit cards, but they tend to be too thick, same for picks. Wood veneer is an excellent choice.

It will change the height of the strings over the pickups, so there might be a need to adjust the pickups to balance the output.  The farther the strings from the pickups, the warmer the tone, the closer the brighter.  Also the bridge pickup will need to be closer to the strings due to the decreased string vibration over it.

Adjust it first to the desired tone and output, then adjust the other two to the same loudness.

Jim

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2012, 01:24 pm »
Thanks, I didn't think about the pickups. Will adjust those as well. Once I get this process nailed down, I'll try it in the Dano. It's my couch guitar and gets the most play.  I love that guitar even though it is not versatile when plugged in.  It stays in tune and is made of Masonite. Makes a good coaster for a drink in a pinch.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:05 pm »
I would recommend using a piece of feeler gauge material for this.  With a matchbook I'd be worried about losing some energy due to the squishy nature of cardboard.  A set of gauges can be had for cheap at Harbor Freight or Pep Boys and you can be sure of getting the shim the exact thickness desired.  Just trim it with some snips to the curve of the pocket.

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:15 pm »
I would recommend using a piece of feeler gauge material for this.  With a matchbook I'd be worried about losing some energy due to the squishy nature of cardboard.  A set of gauges can be had for cheap at Harbor Freight or Pep Boys and you can be sure of getting the shim the exact thickness desired.  Just trim it with some snips to the curve of the pocket.

I've read this as well.  Is there a size that works best? Which size would replicate a matchbook or similar?  I might even have a set in the garage that I can dig up.  Thanks!

srb

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:22 pm »
Don't have any matchbooks to check, but a random pile of business cards measured from .010" to .016".

Steve

medium jim

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2012, 09:33 pm »
You guys are over thinking this.  Matchbook, business cards (usually takes two) have been used without ill effects for as long as I can remember.

It doesn't take much thickness to do the job. The pressure of the screws to attach the neck is more than sufficient to create enough psi as not to rob any tone or sustain.

Jim

Delta Wave

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2012, 03:00 am »
I've read this as well.  Is there a size that works best? Which size would replicate a matchbook or similar?  I might even have a set in the garage that I can dig up.  Thanks!

+1

You can even get brass or copper foil shims in various thicknesses (used for old-school machining equipment). You can fold it or use multiple pieces to get an actual wedge shape. Paper/cardboard will swell and contract much more and faster than unfinished wood.

medium jim

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2012, 04:17 am »
+1

You can even get brass or copper foil shims in various thicknesses (used for old-school machining equipment). You can fold it or use multiple pieces to get an actual wedge shape. Paper/cardboard will swell and contract much more and faster than unfinished wood.

Not sure where all of this caca is coming from.  All I can say us that I've been playing guitar for an aweful long time and have been buying and selling guitars for over 20 years and can honestly say that I never seen Metal used as neck pocket shims. I've seen thin guitar picks, wood, tape, cardboard, plastic, but never metal.

Moisture is not a factor and the matchbook or business cards will not swell as the neck is bolted/screwed on very tightly.

I've shimmed we'll over 100 necks in my years without issues.

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #11 on: 20 Nov 2012, 04:26 am »
For the record, I prefer playing cards as they are of a uniform thickness and are easy to cut to shape and are wide enough to fill the neck pocket side to side.

Jim

Delta Wave

« Reply #12 on: 20 Nov 2012, 02:27 pm »
Not sure where all of this caca is coming from.  All I can say us that I've been playing guitar for an aweful long time and have been buying and selling guitars for over 20 years and can honestly say that I never seen Metal used as neck pocket shims. I've seen thin guitar picks, wood, tape, cardboard, plastic, but never metal.

Moisture is not a factor and the matchbook or business cards will not swell as the neck is bolted/screwed on very tightly.

I've shimmed we'll over 100 necks in my years without issues.

Jim

As have I, just because you've been doing something for so long does not mean it's correct.

medium jim

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2012, 03:40 pm »
As have I, just because you've been doing something for so long does not mean it's correct.

My customers seem to like the way they work and that is all that matters to me!

Jim

Delta Wave

« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2012, 04:49 pm »
then it works for you. You have your "caca" and we have ours.

medium jim

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2012, 05:00 pm »
The problem I have with metal for a shim is that leaves an imprint to both the neck and neck pocket which to a vintage Strat or Tele is a detractor and lowers the value. 

Imagine trying to sell a otherwise pristine pre-CBS Stratocaster and you open it up and see indentations (from a metal shim) on both the neck and neck pocket that is not supposed to be there?!

BTW, many of today's guitars will be what is sought after in the coming years.

If you thought Audiophiles were anal, you haven't met the Vintage Guitar Collector!

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2012, 05:04 pm »
Delta:

Why not go into Rumble Seat Music in your home town and ask the owner Eliot Michael what their guitar tech uses to shim a Fender neck?

Jim