how does a DEQX work ????

2bigears

how does a DEQX work ????
« on: 28 Apr 2009, 11:50 pm »
 :D can someone please break this down for me as to the good and bad sides of these magic boxes.if you can tune your room and speakers with this,why does it not sell like hot cakes ???? thks for any words.... :D

Kevin Haskins

Re: how does a DEQX work ????
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2009, 12:19 am »
:D can someone please break this down for me as to the good and bad sides of these magic boxes.if you can tune your room and speakers with this,why does it not sell like hot cakes ???? thks for any words.... :D

Bad side is cost.   It is like any active design, you need multiple amps.    Also...they are not magic.   Don't buy into the marketing too much because there isn't much that can be done in the electronic domain for many room acoustic problems.    Even if you had a magic wand and could remove reflections, the research isn't real clear on what to remove and what to leave.   

I think they are a good tool, but they can really be misused by people who don't understand what they are doing.   Designing a speaker is a lot more complex than getting a smooth on-axis response.    Knowing where drivers are best to use takes some knowledge of their dispersion characteristics and their relative distortion at a given bandwidth.    Those are things that most end-users don't necessarily understand.   

Basically, if you know how to design a speaker using traditional technology, these tools can help you design a better (and more expensive) one because of the power of the DSP.    They give you some equalization tools to use on the low frequency stuff and they allow you to use much steeper slopes than you can with purely analog tools.     

*Scotty*

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2009, 12:42 am »
If you have done your homework you will have noticed that in many cases the analogue signal from the source is run through an ADC and the signal manipulated in the digital domain to achieve a desired end and then converted back into the analogue domain via a DAC and then passed to an opamp gain stage. How well this works depends on how transparent all this processing is. For myself I am not a big fan of extra links in the chain. If I was going to mess with room correction I would come straight from the hard drive and manipulate the signal via software and then out a USB port to a DAC. As for digital crossovers the same multiple steps have to be inserted between the source and the power amps. You would have to try out a hotrodded DEQX and see if it was good enough to suit you. As Kevin has said crossovers are not a cut and paste operation even with a digital crossover.
Scotty   

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2009, 12:55 am »

As Kevin already noted the cost is prohibitive for some as well as the complexity of extra amps.etc.

I think there's also a general misunderstanding of DSP and active crossovers within the audiophile community. People tend to get stuck on things like "what DAC it has" and fretting about using two smaller amps versus their favorite "100 lbs. of 2-channel 1" thick aluminum reference welder". For the right user and speakers the DEQX can provide excellent performance and the benefits far outweigh the "perceived" drawbacks.

JDUBS

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2009, 01:33 am »

If they cost the same as hot cakes, I'm sure they would be selling like them as well.  Not unlike a lot of other products, the DEQX' high price limits its market.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2009, 02:12 am »
Hypex is just finishing development on a couple pretty sweet looking DSPs that I may use for a project.   They isolate most of their functionality from the end-user and I assume there will be some low frequency notch filter functionality for room related issues.    They are designed to interface directly with the UcD amplifiers so they should be a fairly comprehensive solution and it looks as though they allow some processing power for a separate subwoofer.   

For my purposes, the main attractiveness of the DSP is the ease with which you can have different filters for different room acoustical environments.   The crossover between the tweeter & midwoofer don't need to change with each room and most of the time a 4th-6th order acoustical slope is easy to achieve with passive crossovers.    You certainly have more flexibility with the DSP though as you can tailor things tighter than your roughly 1/3rd octave control that you can do with a passive.