digital cable length

PhilNYC

digital cable length
« on: 2 Aug 2004, 12:02 am »
Steve,

I just read your article on Positive-feedback.com regarding digital cable lengths.  Am curious...you said in the article that improving the rise-time allows for a cable length shorter than the 1.5m that seems to be ideal for unmodded transports.  For your various mods (and specifically the basic S7700 mod plus Jensen caps, since that's the one I got!), how much shorter can you go on cable lengths as a result of the improved rise-times?

audioengr

digital cable length
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2004, 12:35 am »
Depends on the transport.  With the Sony DVP-S7700, you are safe with 1 meter, but not 0.5m.  The risetime is around 10 nsec after mods.

TheChairGuy

digital cable length
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2004, 12:49 am »
Interesting Steve, my 'weirdo' RJ45 to XLR digital is 0.5 mtr.

I think I read that article long ago, but don't remember it's basic points.  What better effect would a 1.0 mtr length have in my, or any EA-modded S7700 based system :?:

audioengr

digital cable length
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2004, 03:07 am »
I believe that the MSB RJ45 is their "network" connection, not an S/PDIF connection, so the jitter rules probably do not apply.  the short cable is actually better.

One BIG improvement that you could probably make is to put a Superclock2 in your 7700 transport.  I did this in my reference transport.  Since the MSB upsampler is synchronous, it only relies on the transport and its clock.  This makes the clock jitter in the transport even more critical.

In my system, the upsampler is asynchronous, so it is reclocked on the oscillator in the upsampler in the P-3A.