Final Drive info/photos

audioengr

Final Drive info/photos
« on: 3 Aug 2012, 08:49 pm »
The Final Drive is a transformer buffer stage with several benefits:

1) Isolates the DAC or preamp ground from the amps galvanically
2) Creates a true balanced signal to the amps - solid-state cannot do this
3) Enables other sources, such as Home Theater processor or Vinyl preamp to be added, even when the Overdrive SE drives amps directly
4) Enables balanced XLR signal from DAC to be converted to single-ended RCA or visa-versa.  Enables highest quality playback using the Overdrive SE (balanced) to the best tube amps (RCA).
5) +6dB of gain can be selected for any or all inputs.

However, the Final Drive was conceived not for all of the functions above, but because of the significant improvement in sound quality you get with it.  Even your Home Theater will sound better using the Final Drive.

It consists of two chassis, one for right and one for left channel.  Each has a selector for three inputs.  Outputs are XLR or RCA, selected by the front panel switches.  It is either-or, not both.

Front-panel does not have finishing steps applied yet:

« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2013, 07:02 pm by audioengr »

ketcham

• Industry Participant
Re: Preliminary Final Drive info/photos
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2012, 04:28 am »
Steve,

When will this be available to the public?  Having heard it first hand at your ranch, I say an investment worthwhile.  I will be first in line for one.

-j

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2012, 04:41 am »
Steve,

When will this be available to the public?  Having heard it first hand at your ranch, I say an investment worthwhile.  I will be first in line for one.

-j

In about 1-2 months. 

I have been shipping a lot of product to reduce the backlog, so I put it on hold for a couple of weeks.  I still need to send the panels out for metal finishing, so this can take 2-3 weeks.  Then I have to get a lot of silver wire cut and stripped by a helper.  Then I can finally get it into production.

Steve N.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2012, 05:45 am »
Email me when you start taking orders!

Chimney_sweep

Re: Final Drive info/photos
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2012, 04:49 am »
Hi Steve

This sounds like just what I need. I ordered an SE overdrive from you a few months ago and currently have it running through my HT processor for convenience which I know is far from ideal.

Is there any chance of having a version that will work with a remote?

A lot of users would have their HT systems automated through a multi-function remote. 

I can add an auto power switch to the overdrive but looks like the Final Drive will only work through manual switching.

Look forward to the Final Drive coming into production.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2012, 05:39 am »
Hi Steve

This sounds like just what I need. I ordered an SE overdrive from you a few months ago and currently have it running through my HT processor for convenience which I know is far from ideal.

Is there any chance of having a version that will work with a remote?

Not likely.  Seems like it is not very often, maybe once a day that you switch from 2-channel to HT etc..  Do you envision switching back and forth a lot?

There are two chassis, so even if it was remote controlled they might get out of sync.  You must switch two rotary switches, one for left and one for right channel.  This delivers the best SQ, having two chassis.  The fields from the two transformers should not interact.

A lot of users would have their HT systems automated through a multi-function remote. 

I can add an auto power switch to the overdrive but looks like the Final Drive will only work through manual switching.

The Overdrive SE should be powered only using the Substation switch to insure proper power sequencing.

Steve N.

Chimney_sweep

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2012, 12:01 pm »
Not likely.  Seems like it is not very often, maybe once a day that you switch from 2-channel to HT etc..  Do you envision switching back and forth a lot?

There are two chassis, so even if it was remote controlled they might get out of sync.  You must switch two rotary switches, one for left and one for right channel.  This delivers the best SQ, having two chassis.  The fields from the two transformers should not interact.

Ok. Sounds unlikely then. It's just that having a system where you cannot automate one piece can be a little frustrating. Especially when equipment is behind cabinet doors and needs to be wife and babysitter proof!

The overdrive SE should be powered only using the Substation switch to insure proper power sequencing.

Understood. I was thinking of keeping the Substation switched on constantly but having a IR unit at the plug socket.

wisnon

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2012, 09:20 am »
In about 1-2 months. 

I have been shipping a lot of product to reduce the backlog, so I put it on hold for a couple of weeks.  I still need to send the panels out for metal finishing, so this can take 2-3 weeks.  Then I have to get a lot of silver wire cut and stripped by a helper.  Then I can finally get it into production.

Steve N.
Price?

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2012, 06:48 pm »
Price?

I was hoping to keep it in the $2K range for the two chassis set, but it actually costs me more than this to build them.

The price looks like $3K right now.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2012, 05:47 am »
Finished product photos:

Standard will be in the silver chassis.

available soon.

Steve N.

paul79

• Industry Participant