HPA-9 (Reference class headphone amp)

JackD

Re: HPA-9 (Reference class headphone amp)
« Reply #40 on: 17 Dec 2015, 10:40 pm »
They already have a single unit that does what you are asking for.

John Casler

« Reply #41 on: 17 Dec 2015, 11:16 pm »
They already have a single unit that does what you are asking for.

That is true.

Matt, take a look at the DAC-10H, which would also give you the "remote" you were interested in too.

steve in jersey

« Reply #42 on: 18 Dec 2015, 06:42 pm »
It certainly does sound like a great product !

Do be careful what you say about it, lest someone will start talking about how it may be "Overbuilt"

(This has to be one of the silliest terms I've come across to describe "high intentioned" audio equipment . It's almost like saying certain foods are "too delicious"; If something appears to be better than it need be, it only means that it has the potential to more easily compensate for a deficiency that exists elsewhere . Excellence isn't normally the rule, but the exception for mid priced products)

rustydoglim

« Reply #43 on: 19 Dec 2015, 07:33 am »
The DAC-10H has all the bells and whistles in one unit and it deserved its Product Of The Year award.

The DAC-9, HPA-9, STA-9 are not, repeat, NOT simply taking from the IDA-8 or part of DAC-10H.  It was the original intent but as R&D progresses, we ended up with pretty much new products, therefore they ended up with the -9 model numbers to indicate where they stand in terms of performance.

DAC-9 was designed using a different DAC chip and objectives. The -9 series allow you to mix and match however you want.

Genez

« Reply #44 on: 29 Dec 2015, 06:01 pm »

What is this????  !  I have been wanting to upgrade from my faithful HAP-100 and have been futzing around in searches.  I need answers, please!  :D

What's at the heart of the preamp's amplification?   Is it chips?  Discrete?   

The volume control?  I am assuming that is the same excellent thin film resistor volume control? 
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2015, 02:10 am by Genez »

rustydoglim

« Reply #45 on: 31 Dec 2015, 06:48 pm »
I will try to provide info on HPA-9 by mid Jan, currently too busy.

V-Fi

« Reply #46 on: 2 Jan 2016, 10:48 pm »
Today I had the chance to discuss with the engineer about HPA-9 and what he has told me made me believe that HPA-9 is the best headphone amp on the market, at any price. He said that he can show plots of HPA-9 against a $30,000 single ended pure class A headphone amp.
We have been too busy getting these new products out the door, now we have time to provide more technical info.

Any more on this? I'm not familiar with any $30,000 headphone amp on the market.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #47 on: 2 Jan 2017, 06:20 pm »
Hello guys.

I have been looking for two answers regarding HPA-9.

Do you know what is it's line out impedance and if line out circuit also runs in class A ?

Thank you.

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #48 on: 15 Jan 2017, 04:58 pm »
Will the rca output be disconnected when I connect a head phone?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #49 on: 15 Jan 2017, 07:48 pm »
Will the rca output be disconnected when I connect a head phone?

No, my biggest complaint with this product.

Eric Gustafsson

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jan 2017, 07:55 pm »
d
No, my biggest complaint with this product.

Thanks, then I have to look for another preamp to my MCH-K38.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #51 on: 16 Jan 2017, 05:03 pm »
Yeah, I can't imagine why they didn't include this feature since they tout it as a headphone amp / preamp.  Why include a phono preamp, extra inputs, and make it severely hampered as a preamp by not muting the output when you connect a headphone?  Although I like the sound quality of the HPA-9, I think I'm selling mine and looking for another option.

Eduardo, I looked for the output impedance in my manual and it's not listed.  I can only guess that it runs in class A throughout, only the Hitachi transistors are mentioned and they are biased class A.

John Casler

« Reply #52 on: 17 Jan 2017, 01:41 am »
Jason can explain why "muting" circuitry was not added, but I might think it was a "sound quality" issue.

Might the solution be something simple like powering down your external amp, when you plug in your phones?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #53 on: 17 Jan 2017, 12:02 pm »
Yes John, that's what I have to do when I want to listen to headphones and is the crux of the problem, I don't wanna turn off my power amp when I listen to headphones.  Thus I'm listening less and less to my headphones and waiting until it's okay to play the main rig, (others sleep schedule etc.).  It seems like a small issue, but it really bothers me as I like to keep everything on 24/7.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #54 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:08 pm »
Doesn't the amp have a mute switch / remote option?

Its not ideal, but it could work.  Also, lowering the volume to 0 if it has a nice knob that can be moved quickly (and if it doesn't require a thousand turns like some I know :) LOL!)

Yeah, its not ideal, I agree.  Best regards,
Rafa.

John Casler

« Reply #55 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:10 pm »
Yes John, that's what I have to do when I want to listen to headphones and is the crux of the problem, I don't wanna turn off my power amp when I listen to headphones.  Thus I'm listening less and less to my headphones and waiting until it's okay to play the main rig, (others sleep schedule etc.).  It seems like a small issue, but it really bothers me as I like to keep everything on 24/7.

Understood    I am a 24/7 type too.   :thumb:

rustydoglim

« Reply #56 on: 17 Jan 2017, 05:18 pm »
I think the line out and headphone out were influence by studio requirement. I recall there is also a performance issue. In order to turn off the line out, the headphone input connect is also a switch. That might work for 3.5mm stereo jack, but we also have the dual headphone out for XLR configuration.

We can't please everyone  :duh:

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #57 on: 17 Jan 2017, 11:03 pm »
And I have to say it's a very nice headphone amp when used as such, it only matters if you use the unit as both preamp and headphone amp.  Which fit my needs perfectly save for this one issue.

As far as sound quality goes it's a very dynamic and detailed amp.  It's a tad rolled off in the extreme treble, just a tad, and has a slightly warm tone, both very much to the pleasurable degree if you're like me and appreciate just a little bit of both.  This without losing an any detail or dynamics, it adds up to a quite pleasant presentation.

I imagine the phono section is better than that Pro-ject phono box mentioned previously, because it doesn't seem to change the character of the amp one bit.  Both the positive and negative aspects of the sound come through the analog inputs from my DAC and the phono section equally, which tells me the phono amp side isn't adding or subtracting anything.

You might ask "What negative aspects are you talking about, you haven't mentioned any".  Nor have I talked about soundstaging and imaging.  Both are well done with caveats, soundstage and headstage are a little bit shallow in depth and height.  It's a pleasant soundstage that's competitive with many head amps out there, just not as deep or high as my vintage PS Audio 4.6.  Images are sharply drawn and easily delineated even in complex passages.  They are however less "round" than with the 4.6, not so much that you would call them cardboard cut outs, just not as full.  I could be completely convinced that that all these impressions are simply a result of a more detailed preamp, such is the minor magnitude of them. 

And I've deviated a touch from the headlamp side in favor of the preamp because it just completely smoked my previous "headlamp", the headphone section of a NAD 3020b using only the amp side, preamp separated.  This was a configuration that wasn't previously surpassed by anything I could afford.  A slightly reduced depth of image doesn't seem to matter as much to me with headphones than it does with speakers.  A versatile product that does a lot of things very well for not much disposable.

Nidri17

« Reply #58 on: 22 Apr 2017, 06:56 pm »
The volume control?  I am assuming that is the same excellent thin film resistor volume control?

Also waiting for the answer to this question.
(It has been asked twice in this thread.)

Does the HPA-9 use the same volume control as the DAC-9 & DAC-10 analogue section?
I.e. Muses 72320 thin film resistor chip.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #59 on: 26 Sep 2018, 04:56 pm »
I'm looking into the HPA-9, but I find the lack of some information rather puzzling. 

Since its marketed as a PRE, as well as heaphone amp, where are the details of the RCA outputs?  Output impedance via RCA? Gain? Max Vrms output? Does the Gain switch affect the back RCA outputs as well? (Also, there is no mention as to what gain shift is accomplished by the switch, is it 2x, some value would be useful!).

These are important deciding factors when partnering with equipment.  It's nice that they work together with the other nuPrime 9s, but what if I want only one of the components?  Where is all the additional info?

Best,
Rafa.