Newbie with questions about Super Tower III's.. added picture for reference.

flasm

Hello everyone, I'm sure I'll probably end up asking a ton of questions and I really hope that I don't bug anyone in the process!

I really lucked out and got an amazing deal on the Super Tower III's!!  I'll not go into details, because it's just not nice to rub things you have into other people's faces.... even though it was quite exciting for me at the time! 

Anyhow, after some research on the web I'm still not finding any real answers to some questions I have, so I'll try them with you guys and see if your infinite wisdom shall enlighten one who is so in the dark about high quality audio equipment.  Music might be my number 1 enjoyment in life but I have never been able to afford much of any even half away decent equipment besides good headphones... but enough back ground on to the questions I have already.

QUESTION #1:

How can I tell when my Super Tower III's were made?  They have the phase plug woofers, (I now know what phase plug woofers look like), and they have the one ribbon tweeter in the center of the 4 other non ribbon tweeters... since I don't know exactly what to call the others.  Check the picture at the bottom that I added, also the model/serial number from the back I think if I remember right they are 6682 and 6683. 

QUESTION #2

Is one speaker for sure the left and one the right?  By that I mean do the tweeters need to be on the inside of the speakers or the outside for proper listening?

QUESTION #3

They have two connectors for bi-amping... and a switch for a single amp, I read on one sticky that you should "jumper" them... but should I jumper these since there is a switch for making them single amp ready... or so it says on the back of the speakers if I'm understanding correctly.

QUESTION #4

The speakers are in really good shape over all considering, but the passive woofers foam has pretty much completely dry rotted due to an accident where I bought them.. but I ordered new ones from VMPS and they are on the way, hopefully the right size I have to call back about that.  But what I'm wondering is how much better are they going to sound when I get the passive woofers back in there and get the seal back that should be there to begin with??  Because they already are probably some of the best sounding speakers I've ever heard and I'm very excited to think they may sound even somewhat better!

QUESTION #5

Since I know so little about high-fi sound and equipment, what are good ways for me to know that everything is functioning as it should with my STIII's?  Any tests that would help me know if there are any other problems with them, that anyone could suggest?

QUESTION #6

Since I have no money now to spend on any thing else, are there some good suggestions with a very tiny bugget on how to get the most quality for the least amount of money when it comes to my sources like the amp, cd player, and other electronics, I only really know some very basics really.  I have a PS3 which I believe does most of the newer high quality formats, my receiver is pretty much junk when it comes to hooking it to speakers like the STIII's but it's all I have for now, it's a Yamaha 5.1, I think 120 watts to 2 channels... anyhow, they still sound really great, but it would be nice to know where to go from here if I every have any money to spend or maybe just luck out again!

I'll end there for now, since I should have went to sleep hours ago, I'm sure I'll probably think of many more, especially if I get any answers!

Thank you in advance if anyone has the time or takes the time to help me out, comment or whatever!  I hope that I can find a nice medium between enjoying my sound system and music with a quality that I'm happy with and not getting over my head in the need for ever more... especially since I really can not afford it!!  :wink:

Chad

« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2009, 08:17 pm by flasm »

Brax

Flasm,

First off, great looking speaker. I hear you when you say your working on a tight budget. I started with mid fi stuff and have been slowly working upward. It's all Brian's fault! He designs great speakers and the better the componets you add to the front of them the better they sound. You are on road of no return, you'll never be happy with mid fi again.

The PS3 is a pretty good BR player and can handle CDs, DVDs and SACD also. So the first step is your receiver. I will assume you have the PS3 hooked to the Yamaha via the Tosilink connection, this is the optical hookup. If your receiver has this option it will give you the best sound. Does the receiver have line level outputs? These are the outputs that bypass the receiver's internal amps. If it does, I suggest your next purchase should be a more powerful amp. An older used amp like a Carver TFM 35 can be had for around $350 off ebay or even a Pro style amp like the Crown CE2000 for under $300. (the pro amps are not high quality sound wise, but output lots of power) These are good starting points for very little money, you won't keep them forever but they'll improve on what you have now. If your receiver does not have the line level outs, you'll have to replace that before you get an amp. Here too, you can get by cheap. A used Meridian 565 can be had for less than $500 ( I paid $325 shipped off ebay) or even a used Emovita can be had for around $450. These are both pre/pro's and do not have internal amps so you would need the amps to go along with them. The point here is to try and get you some more power to feed those super towers. I would stay away from receivers all together as I don't think you get the same power and SQ as the seperates. This by no means will be "Hi-Fi" but should greatly improve the sound of the speakers. Then as you read, listen and learn more about this hobby you can start adding/replacing parts of your system to improve the sound. This advice has been given with the thought of spending as little as possible to improve the sound quality and preformance of your system.

As for your other questions, I can't help because I know very little about the setup of the STIIIs.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Your speakers were made around 1990.  There is a date stamp on the back of the woofers if you want to be more certain.

Listen to each driver and if it sounds clean, it's probably OK.  You should upgrade the 15" active to the latest version, $115ea.  You can make a direct swap. A new woven carbon fiber cone 12" with the 80 oz magnet is $125ea, also recommended.

Toggle down on the back baffle switch will allow you to use one amp.  Inputs are the lower pair.

The Focal tweeters have foam surrounds, but if they work they're fine.

flasm

Thanks a lot Brian and Brax! 

When you talk about the foam surrounds do you mean the foam that's around the tweeters?  Does it serve a purpose when it comes to the sound of the speaker, because the foam has also dry rotted and is brittle to the touch and just crumbles and falls off if you mess with it. 

Brian will the date stamp be on the back of the passives as well?  Since I have to take them out anyhow it'll save any extra effort.

I'm guessing that it doesn't matter whether my tweeters are on the insides or outsides as far as placement of the speakers go.

Can't wait till I get the passive woofer replacements, thanks for helping me with those Brian.  I'm sure I'll be wanting to get the upgraded woofers that you mentioned, but to be honest with the way they sound now, I might be more likely if I'm going to have money to spend on speakers, to be looking at the center and surround speakers... though I think that will be LONG in the future at my current budget pace.

Brax thanks for the helpful general knowledge and suggestion on what to look for next, whenever that might be!  I do have it tosilinked, I don't think the Yamaha has line level outputs, but I really don't know, but now I know what I need to look for if I go with separate amps!  Also thanks for the suggestions on receivers... see I know so little about Hi-fi electronics that I haven't even heard either of those names before I don't think.

Best thing I've ever owned before this was as I said my headphones, I own the Beyerdynamic DT880's, excellent headphones and they got me on this path of no return as you say!

Thanks again guys!  Anyone else who wants to help out or whatever thanks in advance!
Chad

davidc1

Thanks a lot Brian and Brax! 

When you talk about the foam surrounds do you mean the foam that's around the tweeters?  Does it serve a purpose when it comes to the sound of the speaker, because the foam has also dry rotted and is brittle to the touch and just crumbles and falls off if you mess with it. 

Brian will the date stamp be on the back of the passives as well?  Since I have to take them out anyhow it'll save any extra effort.

I'm guessing that it doesn't matter whether my tweeters are on the insides or outsides as far as placement of the speakers go.

Can't wait till I get the passive woofer replacements, thanks for helping me with those Brian.  I'm sure I'll be wanting to get the upgraded woofers that you mentioned, but to be honest with the way they sound now, I might be more likely if I'm going to have money to spend on speakers, to be looking at the center and surround speakers... though I think that will be LONG in the future at my current budget pace.

Brax thanks for the helpful general knowledge and suggestion on what to look for next, whenever that might be!  I do have it tosilinked, I don't think the Yamaha has line level outputs, but I really don't know, but now I know what I need to look for if I go with separate amps!  Also thanks for the suggestions on receivers... see I know so little about Hi-fi electronics that I haven't even heard either of those names before I don't think.

Best thing I've ever owned before this was as I said my headphones, I own the Beyerdynamic DT880's, excellent headphones and they got me on this path of no return as you say!

Thanks again guys!  Anyone else who wants to help out or whatever thanks in advance!
Chad

I know this thread is over 10 yrs old and the OP hasn't been on the forum since then, but I'm curious how his repair turned out and if he still has the speakers. Perhaps he has his preferences set for autoreply to posts...