Extending Factory OXO Leads?

Doug Ravizza

Extending Factory OXO Leads?
« on: 24 Jan 2021, 12:09 pm »
Hi All,

I would like to reposition the OXOs for my RM30 Series IIs but the factory leads are just not quite long enough. I'm wondering what I'll be getting myself into by attempting this. Has anyone ever tried this before, and if so, how difficult was it? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Doug

GeorgeAb

Re: Extending Factory OXO Leads?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2021, 02:22 am »
Break out the soldering iron and have it.  You can extend the wire fairly easily. I would recommend same wire as Brian used, do a decent job of making a good mechanical connection (twisting together) when you connect two wires together, then solder properly, and slide your heat shrink (you previously put on wire before soldering) over exposed soldered wire and shrink. 

This is the wire used in the RM-30:
Woofers use 14 awg Analysis wire, purple and black. If you order just get one color and use for both purple and black extension as as it comes in 10 foot minimum at $2.20/foot. 
Midrange hook wire is UL 1213, 18 AWG, 19 Strands, Silver-Coated Copper, TFE, Red (+), Red/Green (-) (or colors of your choosing). 
Tweeter hook-up wire, UL 1213, 20 AWG, 19 Strands, Silver-Coated Copper, TFE, Green (+), Blue (-) (or colors of your choosing).  You can use 18 guage throughout for neo and tweet.  eBay has some quality mil wire in short runs say 10 foot for reasonable cost.     

I would stay away from messing with the solder joints at the neos.  Just extend from the other side so you don't have to mess with.

Should be some soldering videos on youtube if you are not experienced. Fairly easy, a little solder on tip of iron (so heat flows well into wire), heat wire and then flow solder onto wire so wire is hot enough to melt the solder, NOT gooping on top of wire from soldering iron (cold solder joint).     
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2021, 05:51 am by GeorgeAb »

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2021, 06:39 pm »
Thanks for the pointers George.

G E

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2021, 03:43 am »
Use a flux pen to coat the wires after twisted together.  Add a generous amount.

The solder will flow much more readily.

After the soldered joint cools, clean excess flux with isopropyl alcohol (90+% is best, 70% will work), then dress wires.

Hard to make a cold solder joint when using flux pen.