Stand mount loudspeakers

seadogs1

Stand mount loudspeakers
« on: 11 Apr 2018, 01:26 pm »
What are your recommendations for the very best stand mount loudspeakers?

dB Cooper

Re: Stand mount loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2018, 03:21 pm »
That's a yuuuuuuge category. Maybe an idea of your room, associated equipment, music preferences (genre, listening level) and not least, budget in mind would help people make some suggestions.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2018, 03:34 pm »
That's a yuuuuuuge category. Maybe an idea of your room, associated equipment, music preferences (genre, listening level) and not least, budget in mind would help people make some suggestions.

+1

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2018, 03:42 pm »
Yes, it is huge.  I will offer a couple of suggestions, depending on room size
and music preferences.
Smaller room...say 12x14, a pair of Harbeth P3esr speakers with a sub will
surprise you, but not if you are a metalhead.

I have a large room 25x30 and on one wall have a pair of Harbeth C7es3 monitors
with one sub crossed over at 50hz that is giving me some of the best sound I've
had (for my tastes) in 0ver 40 yrs as a audio-fool that has had me going through
at least 20 different brands/pairs of speakers.
YMMV,
Hibuck...

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2018, 04:28 pm »
Not near enough information as stated but staying in one line I know and going up in price-

EMIT 20s
Special Fortys
Confidence C1s

I have had all three and hard to go wrong with Dynaudio. Focal Aria is another top pick but YMMV

seadogs1

« Reply #5 on: 11 Apr 2018, 04:35 pm »
Room size 12w x 20L. Music all kinds. Background to critical listening. Would prefer high db speakers but am open. Price below 10 grand. Equipment will depend on loudspeaker.

Roninaudio

« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2018, 04:55 pm »
https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/confidence/c1-platinum?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrcKuuNey2gIVTxuBCh2cZwNIEAAYASAAEgLXSvD_BwE

Opinions on a question this broad will vary immensely but there ya go.  And as you would expect, upstream will make a difference.  Huge detailed sound from a "small" speaker..

Spenav

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2018, 05:02 pm »
DB is right, this a huge category and there is no standard answer.  People can tell you what works for them but at the end of the day you are going to have to do it the hard way.  It sounds worse than it is since you are going to have a lot of fun through that journey.  I took it 3 years ago and discovered "to me" what I think is the best combination regardless of price: a pair of Audience 1+1v2+ complemented by 4 Martin Logan Grotto i subwoofers.  When set up properly and connected to good associated equipment, this set up can take a man to heaven and back.  Good luck to you and remember to have some fun.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 11 Apr 2018, 05:15 pm »
I like to have my money to go as far as possible, so I'll recommend the Salk Silk Monitors (Silk or Silk AT, $3600).

Exquisite sound, room filling, beautiful cabinetry and customizable.

Roninaudio

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2018, 06:13 pm »
Lot of great reviews on Salk but 3-6 month wait on a speaker you have to buy sight "unheard" was a little too risky for me.  Great group of folks though. However if you value a speaker as furniture, they are hard to beat.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=156856.0

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #10 on: 11 Apr 2018, 07:12 pm »
Joseph Audio Pulsars, $7,700.  Stunning soundstage and imaging, amazing bass from such a small speaker, you really don't need a sub for music.  Goldilocks tone, not too warm, not too analytical, very much middle of the road neutral.  The treble is clear and brilliant without any harshness, they sound much like a ribbon tweeter.

artur9

« Reply #11 on: 11 Apr 2018, 11:01 pm »
I heard the cheaper Joseph Audio Prism(?, about$3-4k) at the DC show.  I actually liked them better then the Pulsars but different rooms, music, etc.

My short list of things to audition:  Trenner&Friedl Sun, JA Prism, some Magnepan, Janszen Carmelita, Manger Audio z1, maybe an Ohm of some sort.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2018, 12:25 am »
Fritz Speakers Carrera 7 BE. They do everything right, and nothing wrong.

Don't let the low price fool you, these are seriously great stand mounts. Call Fritz and see if you can arrange a demo.

Have fun,

Jerry

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2018, 12:07 pm »
Kii  Audio Three:  $13,900/pair but active so six 250 watt power amps, one per driver, are included.  (Once you hear active, you won't go back.)  Rated 20-25,000 Hz, 8" x 16" x 16", accepts analog or digital input, and corrects for room effects (controlled directivity thus the four woofers).

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kii-audio-three

If budget doesn't have give, check out the Neumann KH420, $9799/pair, another active monitor (no power amp required).  Rated 26-22,000 Hz, 13" x 17.5" x 25.5", well controlled dispersion, and EQ controls.  Neumann is known for rock solid design, sound, and build.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/neumann-kh420

seadogs1

« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2018, 12:58 pm »
JLM do you know if there is or will be a dealer in the US? Have you heard these yourself? Thanks!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 12 Apr 2018, 01:15 pm »
GR-Research Neo 2X kit + upgrade parts, a pair of Parts Express cabinets, and a Rythmic sub.  All less than $1500 and will best most everything suggested so far.  You just have to have the front baffle cut. 
Also, member AJ in Florida makes a fine speaker for under $2K. 
I'm always amazed at recommendations of small speakers that cost $5000 and up. 
Also, there are always good sounding versions of Revel, Focal, Usher, etc that are for sale used.  These are solid companies with excellent sound.  In the used market, a couple of grand buys a lot of speaker. 
I'm heard some nice active speakers, but unlike JLM, I had no problem "going back" to my non powered speakers. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 12 Apr 2018, 01:23 pm »
I own active monitors (Dynaudio BM5 MkIII) and single driver speakers (active by default), and have heard several, but not Neumann or Kii.  Sorry don't know if dealers exist in the U.S.

I've found actives (note subs are also active) much more dynamic, flatter frequency response (a revelation in itself), and deeper/fuller bass.  Many technical merits in favor of active design: low voltage crossovers can be more precise/include DSP; amps 'see' a simpler/more direct load from a single driver; less wasted energy; speaker designer picks the amp (versus a less informed consumer); less phase mixups; cheaper construction (fewer cabinets); elimination of speaker cable in place of much cheaper XLR cables that have fewer issues.  And active monitors is almost all the studio professionals use. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 12 Apr 2018, 07:15 pm »
Raihdo X-1 is a great one.  You have to go to the TAD bookshelf speakers to significantly better it, IME.

dburna

« Reply #18 on: 12 Apr 2018, 07:31 pm »
I've heard the Kii at AXPONA and don't understand what all the fuss is about. Competent, but nothing outstanding. A little flat in the affect/presentation. I don't think they justified their price tag, even if I could afford them. YMMV, however.

I really like my Neumann KH120's and have been very intrigued to demo the larger models. I think going up in their model range would be worth exploring.

I think I also heard some small Raidho's at AXPONA, if I recall, and really liked those.  Didn't like their price tag, however, they would be a consideration if a bag o' money landed on my doorstep.

Regards,  -dGB

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #19 on: 13 Apr 2018, 01:12 am »
Fritz Speakers Carrera 7 BE. They do everything right, and nothing wrong.

Don't let the low price fool you, these are seriously great stand mounts. Call Fritz and see if you can arrange a demo.

Have fun,

Jerry

I have a pair (in San Francisco) and have to agree with Jerry.  If any AC members would like to hear them, send me a PM.