How did you decide on Salk speakers?

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
Re: How did you decide on Salk speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Oct 2018, 09:47 pm »
Thank you for the kind offer! We live in Portland, Oregon -- a long way from DC. If you visit Portland, you're welcome to stop by and listen to the Janszens. Not that I expect you'll run out and buy a pair, but just for the heck of it.

Mike, I'm in Lake Oswego and I'm a proud owner of Salk Song3's. I've also owned a pair of standard SongTowers and I've also heard the Wow1 monitors and Supercharged Songtowers. I'd echo what most everyone has said here regarding Salk... the quality of the drivers and workmanship are superb at any price level, but then when you compare them to speakers around the same price its generally not even close. I also like that they tend to hold their value fairly well and they're made in the USA by hand and to order makes them even more special. If you'd like to listen to my Song3's let me know. I'll look into joining the Portland Audio Club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtYnX38lurY

Alex2507

« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2018, 01:16 pm »
Hanging around the AH forum initially put Salk on the radar for me because I liked the way the plinths looked. Eventually a fine pair of SongTowers w/ LCY ribbons were essentially forced upon me along with a pair of DM designed MB27s. Amazingly enough, a matching SongCenter made its way into the mix ... the end. :)

Now I'm stuck with them. :)

Joe Frances

« Reply #22 on: 15 Oct 2018, 10:42 pm »
Mike do you have the floor standing Janszens or the monitors?  I demo-ed the larger ones and think that they are very uniquely designed and very beautifully constructed; and they sound very clear and natural.  Dave Janszen is a nice guy and puts out a good product. He seems to be going in the powered speaker direction these days, which is sensible from a marketing POV. I was close to getting those at one point, but decided not to make a change from one big tower to a slightly smaller tower since I have arthritis and am putting together a retirement system, and don't want to have to hire two hulking high school lads with a dolly and bungee cords to be able to move my speakers around when I need to do so.  I have a suspicion from what I have read that Janszen electrostats sound a lot like Salks in their clear, natural, and "open window to the music"  presentation.  Yet, I have demurred for an infuriatingly long time,  (like you I find it very hard to think about buying something this important without actually being able to hear them) but I suspect that if I could hear the Salk Silks I seem to be obsessed with, I would jump for the chance to get them. 

It's tough being a "doubting Thomas" isn't it? 

Mike-48

« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2018, 06:10 am »
Joe Frances:  I have the floor-standing, passive version (of the Janszens). Formerly called zA2.1, now called Valentina. Though I think active speakers are superior conceptually, I bought my Janszens before the actives were available.

Mine also is a retirement system. At 67 lb each, the Valentinas are half the weight of my previous speakers, yet to my ears, they sound better. I can "walk" them for short distances easily, but when we repaired the basement, I got help moving them and the two 90-lb (!) subs. Since one doesn't move speakers very far very often, I don't mind hiring someone -- or calling in a few chips from younger friends. I recently put Teflon glide plates under the subs, so I can slide them easily, and after doing that, I discovered a better spot for them.

It may be tough being a doubting Thomas, but tougher still is buying something that doesn't work well in your system. When it comes to items that are difficult to resell and/or are expensive, I don't buy any more without a home trial. After nearly 50 yrs of audio, I'd rather pay the price for peace of mind.

bluemeanies

« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2018, 09:15 am »
I do not own SALK SPEAKERS but have seen them in action at the CAPITAL AUDIOFEST in Rockville Maryland.
Met Jim Salk who was easy to engage in conversation.
It has been a few years since the show but Jim had three pairs of his speakers there at the show...one being a prototype. Wonderful sound. A very impressive demonstration.
Sorry I don't remember the details, amplifiers, pre-amp and the like.
However I do remember the sound so much so I was ready to buy the demo's which to my ears sounded magnificent BUT Jim Salk told me they were not ready yet. Something was missing that kept the speaker from being marketed at the time. In fact he told me the speaker may NEVER make it to market.
I do remember the cables. OMG they were huge...intertwined cables that were massive. BIGGER than any cable I had ever seen.

I am a die hard B&W guy but will attest that my next pair of speakers would be SALK!
My wife tells me when she's dead😂
I have the B&W 803D2's and I love them.

If you are close to Rockville Maryland SALK speakers will be at the Capital AUDIOFEST in room 512
The show starts November 2nd though the 4th

vintagebob

« Reply #25 on: 19 Oct 2018, 12:04 pm »
Here is a link to the old "Owner's Impressions" thread. Lots of owner's reviews there.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=68360.0

LuigiPichardo

« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2019, 04:32 pm »
Quality of parts used, reviews from other owners, and the fact that you get a lot more for your money dealing   directly with the manufacturer (no middle man to pay). Even after paying shipping and duties since I'm in Canada, I  figure I came out well ahead. No regrets, I will be a repeat customer when the time comes to upgrade.

Cornelis

Hi PSB, I am also considering in the future the Salk Sound beats. I have a question for you if you don't mind answering, I am in Niagara region in Ontario and I was wondering how much you managed to pay on the shipping of your speakers to your location? In the future I am trying to decide if it is worth picking them up to save on shipping.

Thanks.

MiamiAngler

« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2019, 11:06 pm »
Like many others I made the decision on price and reputation.  My suggestion is call Jim and talk to him about what you are wanting in a speaker, Jim is easy to talk to and not pushy at all.

PSB Guy

« Reply #28 on: 28 Apr 2019, 04:20 am »
Hi PSB, I am also considering in the future the Salk Sound beats. I have a question for you if you don't mind answering, I am in Niagara region in Ontario and I was wondering how much you managed to pay on the shipping of your speakers to your location? In the future I am trying to decide if it is worth picking them up to save on shipping.

Thanks.
I'm just east of Toronto and paid about $300 freight. Next time I purchase I will probably just pick them up myself.

Cornelis