The new Revelation Raven Preamp

BrandonB

The new Revelation Raven Preamp
« on: 14 Apr 2024, 07:21 pm »
Can anyone speak of  the new Revelation Raven preamp give their review.  Does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like inside?  It is one of the preamps that I am interested in.

hi_watt

Re: The new Revelation Raven Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2024, 03:25 pm »
I have one on preorder, but unfortunately have not found any pictures of the insides. The Don Sachs Model 2 sounds great as it is, so I can't wait to hear the new one hopefully by the month of May.

What preamp are you currently using?

sjsfiveo

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2024, 02:05 am »
I have one, well it's actually one of Dons prototypes it probably 97% of the production version. I have Dons 300b monos and I had Dons D2 preamp prior to this newest version. The difference between the two is substantial. Blacker backgrounds greater detail and quieter. The biggest thing I noticed was the sense that the music just floating around me. I had a couple of people that know my system well listen and they said this is a no-brainer it's just that good.

Steve

hi_watt

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2024, 02:35 am »
I have one, well it's actually one of Dons prototypes it probably 97% of the production version. I have Dons 300b monos and I had Dons D2 preamp prior to this newest version. The difference between the two is substantial. Blacker backgrounds greater detail and quieter. The biggest thing I noticed was the sense that the music just floating around me. I had a couple of people that know my system well listen and they said this is a no-brainer it's just that good.

Steve

Thanks for the information. I really look forward to receiving mine.

jac1920

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2024, 03:12 am »
Hi, I’m new to AC.  I ordered the Revelation Raven in the cherry base.  It will be a month or so before it is built but I am anxious to try it in my system.  Initially it will be paired with a solid state amp, a Pass Labs X350.5.  My plan is to eventually downsize because frankly the amp is a beast and I can’t lift it by myself anymore. Speakers are the legendary Parsifal Encores from Verity Audio.

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2024, 04:01 pm »
Hi, I’m new to AC.  I ordered the Revelation Raven in the cherry base.  It will be a month or so before it is built but I am anxious to try it in my system.  Initially it will be paired with a solid state amp, a Pass Labs X350.5.  My plan is to eventually downsize because frankly the amp is a beast and I can’t lift it by myself anymore. Speakers are the legendary Parsifal Encores from Verity Audio.

Run a balanced (XLR) cable from the Raven to your Pass and it will sound great.  They are made for each other.  I can't help you lift it, but the Raven will drive it with ease.  If you have a source with XLR output you will really have tons of gain, and a sound stage and tonality you will really enjoy.  Your speakers are very tube friendly and my guess is a good quality tube amp driving them would be a sonic experience you should try and have.  Perhaps you have a friend with a tube amp who would bring it by?  You might really enjoy it.

jac1920

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2024, 04:31 pm »
That’s the plan.  Thanks!

BrandonB

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2024, 04:11 am »
I have one on preorder, but unfortunately have not found any pictures of the insides. The Don Sachs Model 2 sounds great as it is, so I can't wait to hear the new one hopefully by the month of May.

What preamp are you currently using?
I am actually building my system.  I don't have a preamp yet.

BrandonB

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2024, 04:13 am »

Steve
Is yours the prototype to the raven?

BrandonB

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2024, 04:18 am »
Run a balanced (XLR) cable from the Raven to your Pass and it will sound great.  They are made for each other.  I can't help you lift it, but the Raven will drive it with ease.  If you have a source with XLR output you will really have tons of gain, and a sound stage and tonality you will really enjoy.  Your speakers are very tube friendly and my guess is a good quality tube amp driving them would be a sonic experience you should try and have.  Perhaps you have a friend with a tube amp who would bring it by?  You might really enjoy it.
Don do you oversee the builds?  Are you a part owner of Spatial Audio Labs?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2024, 05:20 am »

Steve

Steve,

Thank you for your comments. Like you, I have Don’s mono 300b amps and a newer version of his 6SN7 Model 2 preamp.  [Until last year, I still had my original  Model 2 preamp with gain controls, which I very reluctantly sold.] As wonderful sounding as his 6SN7 pre sounds, it’s hard for me to imagine an improvement — though I expect to hear for myself before much longer.

Oh, Don….😁
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2024, 02:52 am by mresseguie »

sjsfiveo

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2024, 10:01 am »
Is yours the prototype to the raven?

Yes it is

sjsfiveo

« Reply #12 on: 22 Apr 2024, 10:06 am »
Steve,

Thank you for your comments. Like you, I have Don’s mono 300b amps and a newer version of his 6SN7 Model 2 preamp.  [Until last year, I still had my original preamp with gain controls, which I very reluctantly sold.] As wonderful sounding as his 6SN7 pre sounds, it’s hard for me to imagine an improvement — though I expect to hear for myself before much longer.

Oh, Don….😁

We'll get ready for a hell of a ride, it's that good.

jac1920

« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2024, 08:09 pm »
Has anyone seen an output impedance spec for this new preamp? There’s nothing on the Spatial website.

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2024, 04:42 am »
It is transformer coupled.  It will literally drive anything.  The 10K IHF standard is no issue at all. 

jac1920

« Reply #15 on: 24 Apr 2024, 11:07 am »
I figured it had to do with the technology but wanted to be sure.  Thanks!

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2024, 02:46 pm »
I figured it had to do with the technology but wanted to be sure.  Thanks!

Theoretically it is the square of the turns ratio of the output transformer.  So you have about 3500 ohms on the 6sn7 pair / 4.5 ^2 = 172 ohms give or take.  There are some other terms in there as that is a simplification, but it is under 180 ohms.  As I said, it will happily drive a 10K ohm IHF standard load with no bass loss, and it is a very custom transformer with almost no measurable phase shift and is flat from below 20 Hz to over 30 KHz.   It sounds very transparent and better than coupling caps:)  As more of them get out into the world hopefully the owners will chime in with their impressions.

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2024, 09:34 pm »
OK, I talked with Dave Geren of Cinemag today.  He designed all the custom small transformers we use in the amps and preamp.  I had forgotten that we had ended up going with a 4:1 not 4.5:1 for the final production preamp output transformers.  Also you have to add the DC resistance of the primary.  So it is 3500/4^2 + 37 ohms = 255.75 ohms.   That said, Dave said it will happily drive a 600 ohm load.   It also drives a pair of 300 ohm headphones through the headphone jack with ease.  The Raven preamp will easily drive any amplifier you choose to connect.  It was designed to drive darn near anything and it will also drive a very long pair of XLR cables with ease.

bcon2001

« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2024, 11:26 pm »
Hi, my name is Brian and this is my first post on AudioCircle.  My Raven delivered today.  After I get about 50 hours in, I will report back, but my initial impression is OMFG!!!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #19 on: 25 Apr 2024, 02:51 am »
Hi, my name is Brian and this is my first post on AudioCircle.  My Raven delivered today.  After I get about 50 hours in, I will report back, but my initial impression is OMFG!!!

Brian,

Congratulations on your acquisition! I've always favored walnut over maple. Could I persuade you to snap another photo of your Raven without using the flash?

Michael