One.2 Questions

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: One.2 Questions
« Reply #20 on: 8 Jul 2010, 05:16 pm »
FWIW...I couldn't find an allen key either so I did the burn in thing for a week or so then switched the jumpers-if you have a walmart handy they actually have a set of both allen key measures for a $1..thats right a buck..two keyrings with both types of complete set.
Enjoy and remember it only gets better and better....took me from Friday PM until Sunday PM to really hear it start to open up... :thumb:

justplainmike

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jul 2010, 03:51 am »
Ok...finally did the 80hz switch.  I was liking the sound without the crossover and, initially, the sound afterwards was....strange.  I had to do quite a bit of fiddling w/the subwoofer.  It seems turning off high pass was most important.  But I also needed to adjust the volume and phase too.
This took a few hours of fiddling and listening.  But now....

I'm in audio bliss....SO loving the expansion of the soundstage and the tremendous headroom that came with allowing my mains to handle the higher freq's and getting the sub blended just right...well, better blended.  I'll be continuing to futz with it for awhile longer.

This isn't my full review yet.  I'll be doing a bit more tweaking and going through a HUGE part of my music files in the next week or so...but I'll be posting the review here and AVS as soon as it's written.  So excited about my little One.2!!! 

p.s.  I disabled the Blue LED on the front when I did the crossover adjustment...just didn't plug it back in....and I can sleep again!   Seth, seriously...you can see that LED from SPACE!!  :o

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2010, 05:25 am »
LOL.  My Taiwanese OEM is nearsighted.  Forgot to screen for that a few years ago.  I'll make some extra dim LEDs next production.  TWO.2s are dimmer I promise.

brother love

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2010, 04:37 pm »
p.s.  I disabled the Blue LED on the front when I did the crossover adjustment...just didn't plug it back in....and I can sleep again!   Seth, seriously...you can see that LED from SPACE!!  :o

Hey use it as a night light, or shining beacon if you will.  :green:

When I disconnected the LED tether to access 80 Hz jumper, I left it unplugged as well.

Re: sub integration w/ my GR Research N2x's (sealed 6-1/2" drivers 85 dB eff.), I utilized a Rat Shack SPL meter & 10 Hz- 300 Hz frequency tones to dial in sub xover/ volume & my funky room nodes. Ended up turning the sub volume down considerably & set the xover to 45 Hz to get as flat a response as reasonably possible.

Bass seems almost thin but it's cause I got used to a bass heavy set-up.  Now inner detail is off the charts, very clean sound & bass is super duper tight & fast.

I listened to The Band's Music from Big Pink last night, & Richard Manuel's beautiful haunting voice on Tears of Rage gave me chills.  Beck- Sea Change was normally a muddy mix 'til I hooked-up the One.2 & N2x's. It is now open & sooo detailed. My Morning Jacket- Z went from excessive, boomy bass to a very clean delineated sound, far easier to listen to now.

The One.2 w/ battery power supply ps is as much fun as the circus & cotton candy! 

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2010, 05:05 pm »
Very cool!!!! It gets better and better!!! Enjoy brother love :dance:

srb

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2010, 05:06 pm »

I don't know why blue LEDs have become so popular.  Every irritatingly bright LED I have in the house is BLUE!

Blue LEDs really are brighter than their old-fashioned red and green counterparts.  Barney O'Meara, vice president of Canadian LED manufacturer The Fox Group, said blue LEDs have at least 20 times the luminous intensity of old-fashioned red and green indicators. O'Meara said his company has developed technology to manufacture low-intensity blue LEDs.

"Blue tends to cause more discomfort and disability glare than other, longer wavelengths," said Dr. David Sliney, an expert on the harmful effects of bright light sources at the U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine in Maryland. Sliney said the eye's lens cannot focus sharply on the blue lights. While red or green light is focused precisely onto the retina, blue light is focused slightly in front of it, which causes a distracting halo around bright blue lights.

In addition, blue scatters more widely than other colors as it passes through the eyeball, Sliney said. Together, these two effects cause the intense blue light from a point source, like an LED, to spread out across the retina, interfering with other parts of the scene. It's called dispersion: Blue's shorter wavelength makes it refract at a greater angle than, say, red or green.

Also, human vision becomes far more sensitive to blue when ambient light levels are low, a phenomenon known as the Purkinje shift. So a blue light that is merely eye-catching on a brightly lit store shelf can become dazzling when the lights are low, such as when watching a movie on a laptop in a dimly lit room.

Some researchers report that, at night, even low-level blue light may be enough to trigger recently discovered receptors in the retina that can depress melatonin production, disrupt sleep patterns and suppress the immune system.

http://www.dcontinuum.com/content/news.php?id=209

Steve

JohnR

« Reply #26 on: 13 Jul 2010, 05:11 pm »
I was planning to put a big resistor in series with mine.

brother love

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jul 2010, 05:48 pm »
A google search on bright light "moth to a flame" matter:   http://martybugs.net/articles/bling.cgi

One quick fix suggestion is apply permanent marker to blue LED. I might try a Sharpie  on a small test portion tonight...

justplainmike

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jul 2010, 08:06 pm »
One quick fix suggestion is apply permanent marker to blue LED. I might try a Sharpie  on a small test portion tonight...

I tried the sharpie thing...and was sweating because i didn't want to mark up my beautiful white finish.  The sharpie barely took to the LED and made no difference in light output.  My 2 cents :-)

Mike

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jul 2010, 08:49 pm »
It needs a bigger resistor inline.  There's one there but it's too small.  Jason can make the fix if you want to send him your LED (via Cami aka "mama virtue", cami@virtueaudio.com).

dvenardos

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jul 2010, 09:35 pm »
and the magic size is?  :eyebrows:

It needs a bigger resistor inline.  There's one there but it's too small.  Jason can make the fix if you want to send him your LED (via Cami aka "mama virtue", cami@virtueaudio.com).

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jul 2010, 09:42 pm »
400 ohms.  We use 220 ohms on the ONE.2, 330 ohms on the TWO.2.  The voltage is < 5v and current nearly nothing.

justplainmike

« Reply #32 on: 13 Jul 2010, 11:00 pm »
I'm just leaving mine unplugged..i know it's on because wonderful sounds are coming out of my speakers :-)

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jul 2010, 11:19 pm »
As long as these amps sound as good as they do I can deal with a little blue light!!! Blue=Good TUNES!!!! :dance: :banana piano: :drums: :guitar:

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #34 on: 14 Jul 2010, 07:41 am »
Not wishing to sound pedantic but when people say "a bigger resistor' they mean a larger value, not a larger size.

So if anybody is doing the mod, you don't need an 11 watt wirewound resistor, a 'normal' metal film 0.25 watt is fine.  :wink:

dvenardos

« Reply #35 on: 14 Jul 2010, 04:45 pm »
I can assure there isn't room for anything "bigger" in there.  :lol:

Not wishing to sound pedantic but when people say "a bigger resistor' they mean a larger value, not a larger size.

justplainmike

« Reply #36 on: 18 Jul 2010, 04:50 am »
Hi All,

Still doing a burn-in and running the amp through a TON of music.  I can echo a lot of other owner's sentiments about how this amp makes me want to re-discover my music.  I'm overall very satisfied even at this early point with my One.2.  But I've got this creeping sensation (no pun intended) that I'm going to be wanting to upgrade the power on this thing...I've read all the posts I could find on the forums about batteries, switching and linear power supplies...and I'm still confused as to which to lean towards.   My setup again:

SB3-->Audio-Gd pre/headphone amp-->Axiom M3 v2 and Mirage S8 subwoofer.  80hz x-over selected.

Basically I love the sound...just want a little more volume.  Love the battery idea but will I get as much volume output compared to a linear or switching PS?  What do I give up SQ wise if I go w/a PS vs Battery?   HELP!!!  I'm more confused after reading the forum posts!!   :scratch:
Anyone tried both or have a similar setup to me care to weigh in?   Thanks in advance.

Mike

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #37 on: 18 Jul 2010, 07:07 am »
I'm not sure that any power supply suitable for the ONE.2 will give you considerably more volume. You can only move so much air in your room with those very small speaker cones.

Likewise, a Sensation isn't likely to solve that particular issue.

Before you change amps and power supplies, try and borrow a pair of slightly larger, more efficient speakers just to see if that gives you the volume level that you are looking for. And if you can borrow a pre amp with a bit of gain, that would be another useful audition to see if your system will go loud enough.

justplainmike

« Reply #38 on: 18 Jul 2010, 07:21 am »
Hi Nuuk,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm at almost sufficient volume as it is when I'm nearing the end of the dial.  But there's really no headroom at that point.  Stock power is about 30wpc and upgrading the supply would net me ~40-44wpc.  I know that's only a dB or two more but what about the headroom?  Would it be better to go with a battery ps in this case??  What supply are you using and what speakers?

Re: new speakers...my wife would have me killed!  :nono: Besides she thinks it's plenty loud now  :roll:

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #39 on: 18 Jul 2010, 07:35 am »
Mike,
Remember that with the log pot, you get 1/2 the volume in the last 1/4 turn... and there's no shame in full-out.  You will get another 30% more power with the bigger supplies but not more.  I suggest that you buy either or both a 130w supply or battery kit.  Send back what you don't want.
Enjoy!
Seth