GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

aramesh

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #60 on: 5 Oct 2010, 04:22 am »
Seattle, WA area?

cmryan21

« Reply #61 on: 5 Oct 2010, 04:26 am »
Guess I'm curious to hear 'em now too. Anyone in the New Orleans or surrounding area with some of Dr. Geddes' speakers?

cujobob

« Reply #62 on: 5 Oct 2010, 06:06 am »
What is the foam used in the waveguide on the Gedlee speakers?  I have a horn loaded coax speaker that I'd like to do some experiments with.
There's plenty of talk about this in various Econowave threads on a few forums.  A few members have messed around with 30ppi 4" stuff.

dwr

« Reply #63 on: 5 Oct 2010, 01:38 pm »
Its amazing to see the amount of interest in people wanting to audition or hear these speakers now. There have been a few other threads on different forums and never have I seen this level of interest in hearing the speakers. I think the difficulty in auditioning the speakers is two fold, one there are not that many pairs of the speakers out there, and two the people who own them are spending their time listening to music instead of on the forums looking for better sound.

TomS

« Reply #64 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:00 pm »
Its amazing to see the amount of interest in people wanting to audition or hear these speakers now. There have been a few other threads on different forums and never have I seen this level of interest in hearing the speakers. I think the difficulty in auditioning the speakers is two fold, one there are not that many pairs of the speakers out there, and two the people who own them are spending their time listening to music instead of on the forums looking for better sound.

One challenge in evaluating them is that for those of us that do have them, the sub configurations and setups are for the most part totally unique and simply make the best of available listening spaces.  Bass integration is very important so mileage definitely varies.

I chose to hear them at Earl's place, which demonstrates the whole approach at its best (CD speakers, multi-sub, room design, multi-channel, HT setup).  He was very gracious and accommodating, tolerated my eclectic music tastes, and thoughtfully answered every question I fired at him.  As someone who typically studies things to death, in this case I made the decision and wrote the deposit check that day. 

Really, for less than the cost of a modest set of fancy wires, you may be able to just fly there or take a road trip and experience them for yourself.

JoshK

« Reply #65 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:02 pm »
I heard them years ago at Dr. Geddes's place as well.  That day marked a turn in the way I looked at hi-fi. 

dwr

« Reply #66 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:26 pm »
Tom, I think that is the best advise anybody could give on this matter. Even though I live close to Earl I wish I had discovered his speakers long before I did, it would have saved me a whole lot of money. I took a beating selling my previous speakers Linkwitz Orions, that if I had heard Earls speakers before buying them I would have never made that purchase. The value or bargain that I consider the Abbeys to be cannot be overstated, for the sound you get with these speakers the price is almost rediculously low. So maybe you could just figure the cost of getting to Earls to hear them in the price of the speakers.   

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #67 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:32 pm »
Tom, I think that is the best advise anybody could give on this matter. Even though I live close to Earl I wish I had discovered his speakers long before I did, it would have saved me a whole lot of money. I took a beating selling my previous speakers Linkwitz Orions, that if I had heard Earls speakers before buying them I would have never made that purchase. The value or bargain that I consider the Abbeys to be cannot be overstated, for the sound you get with these speakers the price is almost rediculously low. So maybe you could just figure the cost of getting to Earls to hear them in the price of the speakers.

:notworthy: Amen to that.

Hi dwr, welcome to AC!  :wave: I've definitely enjoyed chatting with you on Earl's new forum as well.

Anand.

dwr

« Reply #68 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:41 pm »
Hi Anand, I have been registered here since March but just never posted until this thread.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:46 pm »
Hi Anand, I have been registered here since March but just never posted until this thread.

You're welcome!   :lol:  My mission has been to speak with as many GedLee owners / listeners as possible.  The results: 100% positive!

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #70 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:59 pm »
You're welcome!   :lol:  My mission has been to speak with as many GedLee owners / listeners as possible.  The results: 100% positive!

Well, if you read my first feedback over on the Gedlee support thread, there is a subtlely different presentation from the way the illusion is created when you listen to the Gedlee's versus an open baffle. That is my only caveat. It's in the original support thread here. (I had demo'd the nathan's and bought the Abbey kits.)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56687.0
-Tony

brother love

« Reply #71 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:00 pm »
jtwrace,

Thanks for starting this thread for those of us w/ a curious nature ...

TomS, dwr, TRADERXFAN, & any other GedLee speaker owners:  what amp/ receivers are you using?

As I recall reading, Dr. Geddes had a very modest Pioneer receiver in his listening room.  :o

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #72 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:05 pm »
jtwrace,

TomS, dwr, TRADERXFAN, & any other GedLee speaker owners:  what amp/ receivers are you using?

As I recall reading, Dr. Geddes had a very modest Pioneer receiver in his listening room.  :o

Just click on my systems page.

Anand.

brother love

« Reply #73 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:14 pm »
Just click on my systems page.

Anand.

Thanks Anand.  I really enjoyed your review of the Nathans :thumb::

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74098.0

vvv  Thanks TomS,  I see most GedLee owners have system links.  8)  vvv

TomS

« Reply #74 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:18 pm »
jtwrace,

Generally on everyone's systems link...

Atma-Sphere MLS-1 preamp, M60 MK III.1 amplifiers.  A DIY FirstWatt F5 25wpc class A also worked quite nicely.  Both the M60's and F5 are class A so no crossover distortion, but the speakers are an easy load and fairly efficient. 

Note that Earl didn't just pick any old receiver, but one with specific output stage characteristics and probably certain functional things he was looking for.  It just happens to be reasonably priced too.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #75 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:43 pm »
jtwrace,

You're welcome!

I'm more then curious now...   :o

brother love

« Reply #76 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:48 pm »
... Note that Earl didn't just pick any old receiver, but one with specific output stage characteristics and probably certain functional things he was looking for.  It just happens to be reasonably priced too.

Understand. Geddes was keen on crossover distortion effects. I don't know Dr. Geddes current system, but here is the reference I knew about.  I meant it as a supreme compliment to his speakers & room that so many have raved about his personal set-up w/ such a modest receiver!

"The amp is a Pioneer DSX-V912 - a receiver. The point is that it was on sale at Costco for $150.00. I bought several of them for home theater use. I used my test to measure the amps and they were quite good actually. Especially for chip amps. I was measuring a lot of chip amps (a survey of capability) and most were pretty bad. As a chip amp this unit deffinately stands out. It compared quite favorably to a very well engineered discrete amp that I also use."

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/109147-geddes-distortion-measurements-2.html

cujobob

« Reply #77 on: 5 Oct 2010, 03:54 pm »
Last I heard, he's upgraded to the newer Pioneer receiver with HDMI, but same/similar chipamps.  It was like $350  :o

brother love

« Reply #78 on: 5 Oct 2010, 04:09 pm »
Last I heard, he's upgraded to the newer Pioneer receiver with HDMI, but same/similar chipamps.  It was like $350  :o

Yup, he sure did. I just got thru searching for it, found it, & just saw your post:

"I have upgraded my Pioneer receiver to the VSX-919 AH - I needed the HDMI inputs for Blue-Ray. Its sounds the same."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19217309&highlight=pioneer#post19217309

turkey

« Reply #79 on: 5 Oct 2010, 04:27 pm »
jtwrace,

I use an Audio by Van Alstine Insight+ preamp and an AVA OmegaStar 440 amp.
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2010, 06:42 pm by turkey »