GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

Bear

Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #100 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:23 pm »
Regarding the Abbey+, I went back and checked, the date on the thread I read is from 2008!  In that thread DR. Geddes commented that the 15" waveguide made an audibly significant improvement but the 15" driver was not needed(due to his multiple sub discovery) and that if he could do it over again for his own system he would use the 15" wave guide with the  12" for LF.  Hence the Abbey+.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56687.20
POST #209
Has Dr. Geddes ever considered an open baffle configuration in the LF driver?  Does the waveguide portion need to be in a sealed enclosure?  Don't know if this idea makes any sense but it could make the need for the sealed box obsolete.

Thanks,
Shane.

dwr

« Reply #101 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:24 pm »
Very nice system indeed sir!!!!! And I totally agree with you on the point of the Abbeys letting the difference in components show through. jtwrace take note of this mans subs.

ebag4

« Reply #102 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:27 pm »
Mike (Mgalusha),
We want to see some pics of the beautiful new subs in your system..pics, pics, please. :wink:

Best,
Ed

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #103 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:28 pm »
Regarding the Abbey+, I went back and checked, the date on the thread I read is from 2008!  In that thread DR. Geddes commented that the 15" waveguide made an audibly significant improvement but the 15" driver was not needed(due to his multiple sub discovery) and that if he could do it over again for his own system he would use the 15" wave guide with the  12" for LF.  Hence the Abbey+.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=56687.20

Has Dr. Geddes ever considered an open baffle configuration in the LF driver?  Does the waveguide portion need to be in a sealed enclosure?  Don't know if this idea makes any sense but it could make the need for the sealed box obsolete.

Thanks,
Shane.

JoshK started to work on an open baffle using the geddes waveguide. I don't know what happened with that, he seemed to start up another project that was more interesting to him.

The abbey12+ was decided to be not worth it to Geddes, I believe. 

edit* Here is post about that: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/126586-oblate-spheroid-waveguide-consolidated-construction-thread-24.html#post1723936

Bear

« Reply #104 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:40 pm »
Thank You Trader.

cujobob

« Reply #105 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:43 pm »
I'm just waiting to see how much of an improvement is to be had when Earl brings out his other waveguide sometime in the future.

turkey

« Reply #106 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:55 pm »
Turkey,

Can you elaborate a little more on the statement about the Pioneer?  Why do you think you would go with that over more expensive separates?  You mentioned some testing?

I might choose it because it's less expensive and actually offers more features too.

Some of my friends and I did some controlled tests of amps and preamps not too long ago. We matched levels as best we could (signal generator set to 1KHz and an RMS voltmeter) and had my wife switch things around while we were out of the room. She'd leave the room before we came in, so we didn't get any clues as to what she'd done (or not done).

We played various selections of music, swapped seats around so that we all got to sit in the middle seat, etc. We took notes and then compared them when we were finished for the day. (We didn't talk about what we heard until after the test was done.)

The only thing we listened for was to determine whether or not we heard a difference.

It took an entire day, and then we also wound up doing some shorter sessions at other people's houses.

I'm not claiming this was a really scientific test, or that the results were statistically significant or anything. However, what we found is that we were generally doing no better than random guessing when it came to identifying whether or not a switch had been made.

We wound up comparing my AVA gear, a Pass Labs amp and preamp, a C-J amp, a Krell amp, and a Pioneer receiver that I borrowed from my brother. We did one trial of a couple of other amps too, but I can't conclude anything based on that.

None of us were really that upset with what we learned. For instance, I still like my AVA amp and preamp. (I like the other amps too.) However, I think that we will probably approach things differently when it comes time to buy new equipment though.

One result worth noting is that the Pioneer didn't do that well at one friend's house that owns Maggies. We could tell when it was in use and figured it was because his speakers are quite power-hungry. (We couldn't reliably tell the difference between my AVA amp and the Krell though.)

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #107 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:56 pm »
I'm sure there is one...
I've asked before, including Earl.....still waiting. :)
And no, I have no interest in flying to Detroit to listen in Earls room. I would rather it be a "field test" in a typical user living room. Probably much like mine.
Curiously, I had no problem finding an Orion owner willing to demo (back in '03/04). They seem to relish the thought. Ah well...

turkey

« Reply #108 on: 5 Oct 2010, 08:59 pm »

I don't think that OB would fit in very well with the GedLee speakers. They'd no longer be fully CD, if nothing else.

TomS

« Reply #109 on: 5 Oct 2010, 09:05 pm »
I don't think that OB would fit in very well with the GedLee speakers. They'd no longer be fully CD, if nothing else.
Actually, I use OB for 2 of the 3 subs.  Obviously they don't cover much range vs the sealed 12" in the mains.

cujobob

« Reply #110 on: 5 Oct 2010, 09:06 pm »
Earl's room is a typical room in some ways...it's in his basement and it has brick walls..but otherwise, there's not exactly anything special about it.  His room treatments consist of a diffusor on the ceiling, some of the foam he uses for waveguides behind his AT screen (the bedsheet), and he has a small mattress on the ground covered by a rug.  No sidewall treatments, no fancy electronics, no room correction...

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #111 on: 5 Oct 2010, 09:43 pm »
It will only be 'good' when you own a GedLee speaker  :green:

Anand.

Ouch!  That hurt! 

In my defense, I'm waiting for the audition. 

Once I get to hear 'em, then I can make my decision...  Dr. Geddes livelihood is in your hands.   :lol:

goskers

« Reply #112 on: 5 Oct 2010, 09:47 pm »
I've asked before, including Earl.....still waiting. :)
And no, I have no interest in flying to Detroit to listen in Earls room. I would rather it be a "field test" in a typical user living room. Probably much like mine.
Curiously, I had no problem finding an Orion owner willing to demo (back in '03/04). They seem to relish the thought. Ah well...

AJ,

I don't think that Gedlee owners are not willing to audition but more so that ownership is not widely spread as of yet.  Orion's went through a very similar growth before notoriety was gained. 

The slow growth trend seen from Geddes is partially associated with the fact that all parts are coming from one guy.  Even if you purchased or have purchased a kit, the WG/baffle was done by one source.  The Orion left you with the ability to just purchase a pcb and the rest could be done by a number of people.

I would have gladly offered you an audition when I was still in NC. 

I think there are now 4 previous orion owners that have switched to Gedlee.

Bear

« Reply #113 on: 5 Oct 2010, 09:50 pm »

ok, got it, I wasn't sure what role the LF driver played in the CD equation.

I would definately follow in the path of others here and use the open baffle servo subs.  I am interested in a system that does 2-channel audio very well(performers in the room or listener at the venue with great imaging sort of thing) and doubles as a competent home theatre without having to place my head in a 12" box.  And I love good bass and drums when the mood strikes.

For the money I good do a Salk system anchored with HT3's, GR-Research Super V's would be the least expensive, or Abbey's and ob servo subs.  I have been following these threads for quite some time and have still not listened to any.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #114 on: 5 Oct 2010, 10:18 pm »
Is anyone using GedLee subs?  If so, what does one need to power them?  Also, what is the size of the cabinet?

dwr

« Reply #115 on: 5 Oct 2010, 10:31 pm »
AJ
I had no problem either in finding an Orion owner willing to let me hear his speakers, I wish there hadn't been, maybe then I wouldn't have made the biggest mistake I've made in my time in the audio hobby. I lost over $2000 when I sold the Orions to get get the Abbeys. Live and learn!

dwr

« Reply #116 on: 5 Oct 2010, 10:34 pm »
JTW I believe DougSmith here uses 4th order bandpass subs that he built but are modeled from Geddes subs. Check with him.

brother love

« Reply #117 on: 5 Oct 2010, 10:40 pm »
Is anyone using GedLee subs?  If so, what does one need to power them?  Also, what is the size of the cabinet?

Don't know any details, but I found it interesting that Geddes said in one of the forums 1-2 yrs. ago don't spend over $500 for a subwoofer.

His 12" subwoofer is $600...  :green:

brother love

« Reply #118 on: 5 Oct 2010, 10:43 pm »

... I'm not claiming this was a really scientific test, or that the results were statistically significant or anything. However, what we found is that we were generally doing no better than random guessing when it came to identifying whether or not a switch had been made.

We wound up comparing my AVA gear, a Pass Labs amp and preamp, a C-J amp, a Krell amp, and a Pioneer receiver that I borrowed from my brother. We did one trial of a couple of other amps too, but I can't conclude anything based on that.

None of us were really that upset with what we learned. For instance, I still like my AVA amp and preamp. (I like the other amps too.) However, I think that we will probably approach things differently when it comes time to buy new equipment though.

turkey, 

Thanks for sharing your amp A/B comparisons.   :thumb:   It validates Geddes argument doesn't it ?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #119 on: 5 Oct 2010, 10:47 pm »
Don't know any details, but I found it interesting that Geddes said in one of the forums 1-2 yrs. ago don't spend over $500 for a subwoofer.

His 12" subwoofer is $600...  :green:

Yes, I saw and thought that but the man still needs to make a living.  I mean, they're probably made by his hands...not overseas.  I'm sure he also does it as a service.  If he didn't sell them then it would be harder to sell al complete system.  Most HT guys shop that way.   :dunno: