NEO10 and NEO8PDR Array

audiogurujax

NEO10 and NEO8PDR Array
« on: 16 Dec 2016, 05:35 am »
I have a bunch of NEO8PDR that I do not know what to do with them, I was thinking if I could build an array using 8 of them per channel along with 6 Neo 10 Similar to the famous Radia 680 but using the NEO8PDR as tweeters instead of the NEO3PDR may be cross them at 1000hz, do you guys think it could work?

BTW had anyone noticed that the Specs of the Heftier NEO8S and the non PDR Regular NEO8 are nearly Identical same sensitivity 94db same AES power handling, weird I have both and One is like twice the thickness and weight than the other so something is not wright LOL

Danny Richie

Re: NEO10 and NEO8PDR Array
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2016, 07:21 pm »
I have a bunch of NEO8PDR that I do not know what to do with them, I was thinking if I could build an array using 8 of them per channel along with 6 Neo 10 Similar to the famous Radia 680 but using the NEO8PDR as tweeters instead of the NEO3PDR may be cross them at 1000hz, do you guys think it could work?

BTW had anyone noticed that the Specs of the Heftier NEO8S and the non PDR Regular NEO8 are nearly Identical same sensitivity 94db same AES power handling, weird I have both and One is like twice the thickness and weight than the other so something is not wright LOL

I had to use the higher sensitivity custom Neo 3's (97db sensitivity), and 16 of them to match the sensitivity of six Neo 10's.

The Neo 8 pdr's are more in the 91db range especially after notching down the 13kHz peak.

So the only way to make that group of drivers work together is to bi-amp them with different amplifiers and control the gain in a pre-amplifier stage.

audiogurujax

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2016, 07:39 pm »
Yes it will be biamped using 4 Atash NC500 amps and DSP Using a DEQX so do you think it might work.

Also Danny what is your experience with the NEO8S are they better than the PDR version and Is it truth that the NEO 10 in an array Sound spectacular in term of detail but they lack soul or body, I read in another forum that the Radia 680 lacked the body or fullness of something like your LS9 open baffle or your new NXotica extreme.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2016, 08:12 pm »
The Neos can sound warm or cold.  Put a tube amp in front of them and they will sound warm.  Put a Krell or a Bryston in front of it and they will sound cold.  Not sure what the NC500 will sound like.  But in my experience, the NEO's sound as close to 'nothing' as you can get.  Just make sure you have a good bass solution for them.  I strongly recommend the GR Research OB Servo subs, 2x12" drivers per side.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2016, 08:44 pm »
Yes it will be biamped using 4 Atash NC500 amps and DSP Using a DEQX so do you think it might work.

Also Danny what is your experience with the NEO8S are they better than the PDR version and Is it truth that the NEO 10 in an array Sound spectacular in term of detail but they lack soul or body, I read in another forum that the Radia 680 lacked the body or fullness of something like your LS9 open baffle or your new NXotica extreme.

The Neo8S is more of a mid-range driver. They play a little lower than the standard version. The pdr version gives up sensitivity because it drops from five rows of magnets to three. But it has better off axis response.

Those Radia drivers used small woofers along with them that really didn't match the sensitivity real well. So they were a little thin sounding. The open baffle LSX line source or NX-Otica uses 12" servo subs for the lower range. So you can run them up, down, overlap more, overlap less.... and make the tonal balance anything that you want.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2016, 08:56 pm »
Plus with a DEQX (I owned one for a while), you can really, really, really make them sound however you want.  Just dial in a house curve and they will sound nice and full.

Also, a small but beautiful sounding tube amp will really make the panels sing.  Think SEP or SET, you really don't need more than 10 watts if you're driving each section directly.  10 watts on the mids, plus 10 watts on the tweeters and using the big subs underneath that - you will get a very big, powerful sound that is also quite beautiful. 

audiogurujax

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2016, 03:34 pm »
So my idea could work fine an array with 9 neo8pdr and 8 Neo10 per channel. I just want to use what I already have because buying 48 neo3pdr is not cheap lol that's why I want to use my 18 neo8pdr instead.

Tyson, I agree I am using 4 PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium HP amps running as mono blocks, the only downside is i have to set the house AC to 65 and freeze everyone else in the house so the room stay ok with 32 EL34 warming it lol

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2016, 04:32 pm »
If bi-amp the group then you can make the drivers work pretty well together.

audiogurujax

« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2016, 07:09 pm »
So Danny, what is the NEO8S good for? Is not a good midrange because it don't go as low as the NEO10 and is not as good in the high because it do. It have good dispersion in high frequencies. If you want a mid the 10 is a better option if you want a tweeter  either the 3 or the 8pdr are better choises!

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2016, 07:46 pm »
So Danny, what is the NEO8S good for? Is not a good midrange because it don't go as low as the NEO10 and is not as good in the high because it do. It have good dispersion in high frequencies. If you want a mid the 10 is a better option if you want a tweeter  either the 3 or the 8pdr are better choises!

Actually, I agree.

faxer

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2016, 07:48 pm »
Yes I agree with Tyson and Danny.
We use either 2 or our reference 6 per side OB GR Research woofers with a new Planar Speaker from GT Audio works called GT3
AVS showrooms gave them best sound at Capital Audiofest
 There is a video of the review from Kemper Holt from AVS Showrooms on Sound Insight High End Audio Facebook page.
The planars do not have a crossover and sound incredible and way better than any other planar I have heard.
A match made in heaven crossed over at 75hz on the servo plate amps.