Bryston announcing new SST3 amps

larevoj

Re: Bryston announcing new SST3 amps
« Reply #520 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:27 pm »
I can't help but think after reading that review if there was that much noticeable difference the guys system must have had a very high noise floor all along given the differences between the 2 amp designs and what he is hearing now. In a system that was basically dead silent to start with that's where I'm curious as to any perceived audible differences between the 2 designs.

James, any new details about the upgrade path?

Hi Rod_S, I wrote the brief review posted in the link earlier.

The system was plugged into BIT to start with. Like you have mentioned the noise floor is already very Low but with the 4B3 the improvements are apparent. As listed in my notes there are number of areas I didn't expect it to do so well. I guess you will have to give it a listen...  :thumb:

larevoj

« Reply #521 on: 11 Apr 2016, 02:33 pm »
It would be a nightmare - the cost is in the many thousands of dollars to get approvals and each and every model would have to be resubmitted. You can see why most companies simply ignore the regulations imposed. 

By the way these regulations are getting more and more strict and honestly there is more paper work and time spent now to get clearances than it takes to design a new product.  Small companies starting out do not have a chance and if they ignore the regulations and get caught they are restricted from selling product into that country.

james

Hi James, are these regulations mandatory in every markets including International? Sounds like the upgrade path is unlikely to happen afterall...  :(

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #522 on: 11 Apr 2016, 03:56 pm »
Hi James, are these regulations mandatory in every markets including International? Sounds like the upgrade path is unlikely to happen afterall...  :(

Yes they are mandatory and whats even more complicated is different countries have different rules - China is CCC for example.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #523 on: 11 Apr 2016, 09:11 pm »
It would be a nightmare - the cost is in the many thousands of dollars to get approvals and each and every model would have to be resubmitted. You can see why most companies simply ignore the regulations imposed.  ...

james

You mean aside from the cost to actually do the upgrade which I think you have estimated would be appx. 25% of the amps cost plus you would actually have to add thousands on top of that price? If so then I think it would be safe to say no one would upgrade, the price would probably be ranging from being 50% or more for the less expensive models to probably approaching the 50% mark I would guess for say the 28's and 14's..

This would be a huge disappointment. I think many were looking forward to being able to upgrade and could swallow the appx. 25% plus shipping. But adding thousands to that, definitely a bummer. :(

Rod_S

« Reply #524 on: 11 Apr 2016, 09:18 pm »
I guess you will have to give it a listen...  :thumb:

I guess so because on paper and I'm sure when connected to instrumentation to take measurements the impact for reduced noise would be measureable but it's odd that the reduction on the input stage would have such an impact on a system with already an inaudible noise floor. Sounds to me like more changes were done than just in the input stage or else you are imagining the differences :D

Like you say I would have to give them a listen. Just not in a store but in my system.

Rod_S

« Reply #525 on: 11 Apr 2016, 09:21 pm »
With all these new regulations it's going to take something just short of a miracle to get the 28s approved it would seem.

James, if the 28's haven't yet passed are you getting worried with the current design they won't and would need altered? If that is even possible without purposefully degrading the design or simply just leaving them at SST2s and not offering a cubed version.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #526 on: 11 Apr 2016, 09:39 pm »
With all these new regulations it's going to take something just short of a miracle to get the 28s approved it would seem.

James, if the 28's haven't yet passed are you getting worried with the current design they won't and would need altered? If that is even possible without purposefully degrading the design or simply just leaving them at SST2s and not offering a cubed version.

No we are close to the OK's on the 28B's.  Had to change a fuse rating an other minor safety labels.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #527 on: 11 Apr 2016, 10:09 pm »
No we are close to the OK's on the 28B's.  Had to change a fuse rating an other minor safety labels.

james

Light at the end of the tunnel, congrats.

drummermitchell

« Reply #528 on: 12 Apr 2016, 12:09 am »
Seems Mr Russell had stated that in Jan/Feb in a magazine review that I read where  Bryston could not do the upgrade.
Wish I could remember which review it was.
Should have bee stated before as it was know before :sleep:,especially people lookin perhaps to the upgrade...HELLO :scratch:.
Just say the way it is and don't keep people hanging on.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #529 on: 12 Apr 2016, 12:18 am »
Seems Mr Russell had stated that in Jan/Feb in a magazine review that I read where  Bryston could not do the upgrade.
Wish I could remember which review it was.
Should have bee stated before as it was know before :sleep:,especially people lookin perhaps to the upgrade...HELLO :scratch:.
Just say the way it is and don't keep people hanging on.

I resent that you would accuse me of lying. Nothing could be further rrom the truth. These safety and hydro requirements we did not know till very recently based on the new Cubed designs.

Sometimes I really wonder why I put myself out there given some peoples hostile and uncalled for accusations.

James

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #530 on: 12 Apr 2016, 03:51 am »
James,

Several, if not most, of us really appreciate your activity on the forums. Your candor and willingness to share what Bryston is ATTEMPTING are welcomed!

I'd be disappointed too if there isn't an upgrade option for my 4BSST-2, but I wouldn't hold it against you. You explained the engineering folks had to make sure it was possible. Check. Now it's the certification stuff. So, Bryston is trying to make it possible. Regardless of the outcome, thanks for sharing and for explaining the process (and hold-ups) along the way.

- Garrett

stereoal

« Reply #531 on: 12 Apr 2016, 06:55 am »
I don't understand why you people expect to be able to upgrade your amplifiers years and years after you purchased them. When an automaker comes out with a new model, I don't expect to be able to get my five-year-old car upgraded to the new one. If you want a cubed amp, sell your old one and buy one. But quit making it sound like somehow Bryston has a duty to offer this service.

Rod_S

« Reply #532 on: 12 Apr 2016, 12:01 pm »
Although I'm not a fan of the new faceplate design, after seeing the pics in the little review by larevoj I'm digging the metal toggle switches on the back panel in place of the long used plastic sliders. I prefer the grey trigger panel though vs the green.

bjski

« Reply #533 on: 12 Apr 2016, 01:26 pm »
Hi James,
Just let me know when it's time to update. I like the faceplate of my 7b's.
Cheers,
BJ Hammell

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #534 on: 12 Apr 2016, 02:12 pm »
I for one appreciate James' efforts on this Forum. Information flow and the requirements of regulators aren't always in sync or palatable to all concerned. So, it can be a bit like operating with one hand tied behind one's back. Still, I'm very happy with my Bryston gear and the efforts of the Bryston team to provide any and all available advice to smooth out my audio journey.

cheers

papalips

« Reply #535 on: 12 Apr 2016, 08:32 pm »
James... new circle participant, long time Bryston admirer, recent 4B SST2 owner.  Your transparency, candor and honesty has validated my commitment to Bryston!  Don't let one comment change your approach!  I also appreciate the travails with regulations. I understand their intentions, but these are not medical devices!  I trust you guys will do all you can for all of us out here! Thanks again for the stream.

drummermitchell

« Reply #536 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:27 am »
Like I said James it was put out a few months ago.
Maybe I'll dig it up for  you.
Mr. Russel stated it in the review NO UPGRADE
I didn't  accuse you of anything,I said at least Be HONEST especially IF THERE IS NO UPGRADE and keep people hanging on.
You should have stated that months ago,your looking like the prick
There you go you can BAN me,your YES/NO is BS
have a nice night :thumb:...

drummermitchell

« Reply #537 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:35 am »
I apologize for Mr. Russell
as it was the showing at CES 2016 Weinhart Design
UNFORTUNATELY NO UPGRADE

audio.bill

« Reply #538 on: 13 Apr 2016, 12:52 am »
James - I would personally like to offer you my sincere appreciation for your active participation in the Bryston circle. You provide a level of support that I've rarely seen from your competitors and set an example for others to follow. Your timely responsiveness to issues raised here continues to amaze and impress me. Please don't let anyone's negativity bring you down, your effort is apparent and very much appreciated. Keep up the fine work!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #539 on: 13 Apr 2016, 02:09 am »
James - I would personally like to offer you my sincere appreciation for your active participation in the Bryston circle. You provide a level of support that I've rarely seen from your competitors and set an example for others to follow. Your timely responsiveness to issues raised here continues to amaze and impress me. Please don't let anyone's negativity bring you down, your effort is apparent and very much appreciated. Keep up the fine work!

Thanks Bill - I appreciate your comments.

Brian may have his own ideas about upgrades and whether they would be offered or not but I have always approached it with the assumption if it could be done I would certainly work in that direction.  I am still hopeful I can pull this off as I think that is what is best for our customers. 

james